Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can Advil be my friend again?

Will I be able to take Advil again? I have a lot of back problems and that is the only thing that really helps. I know that since I'm only 4 weeks post op I can only take Tylenol, but will I be able to take my friend again?

My doctor said no to regular use, but occasionally I could take liquid advil as long as I flushed it from the stoma. On that note though, check with your surgeon about what your amount of use would be and if it is ok.

I agree with Slim-n-tn...check with your surgeon. I'm shocked it didn't come up for you preop! We were told very clearly NO NSAIDS. They can do damage even to "normal"digestive tracts, let alone we bandsters with our unique configuration.

I didn't mean to sound negative if I did...I do get exasperated because it seems so many surgeons and centers kind of, um, rush people through? If you have issues and NEED an NSAID (and lots do! People with arthritis, for example...tylenol doesn't work as well) get run through like cattle and then say "Uh wait! I need my meds" and find out they can't take them. It makes me angry that their health care team didn't have something lined up for them. Maybe your doc feels it will be ok for you to take them later; I sure hope so, since you need your advil! Getting the band doesn't magically cure us of needing any/all pills, but some docs act like it does!

Anyway didn't mean to rant and rave, either. I just get frustrated at the lack of education about the band. They make us go to the seminars and appointments out the keister...and my surgeon is great! but lots of them just seem too greedy, i guess.

I hope you get the go-ahead!

No worries, I didn't take it that way at all! What frustrates me is that EVERY doctor has a different rule and regulation about everything. I don't understand why there aren't more set instructions. Fortunately I work for my primary care doc and she answers most of my questions, otherwise the surgeons do kind of hang you out to dry.

I agree the different rules drive me NUTS. Sometimes they make sense (like I NEEDED to do a long preop diet for my liver, not everyone does, or if you have a lap band it's important to stick to the post op diet so it can heal properly) but even when they make sense they are poorly explained; so many just tell you "NO ADVIL" and no clue why! LOL Lucky you working for your primary; you can get a good 2nd opinion any time you need one! Good luck, ok? :)

Thanks for bringing this up. Advil is the ONLY thing that stops my menstral cramps--which are AWFUL (as a teenager they would make me sit and cry because nothing would touch them and they are so painful)! I'm at the start of this journey and haven't had any meetings with anyone yet. I'll remember to talk to my surgeon about Advil--also my anti-depressent pills.< /p>

My doc says Advil and Motrin are fine. That is even what I was given in the hospital while I was there.

HOWEVER, I would follow the advice you YOUR doctor. Afterall, he is the one you will have to answer to.

I went in for my 2nd fill today and asked my surgeon. He hesitated, then told me "Sure, just take it right after you eat (when we're "allowed" to drink again) and be very careful with it; any symptoms of erosion, bleeding, etc let me know immediately" I did tell him I just took it occasionally, not daily. So maybe Travelinsnorkel will get the green light from HER doc, too!