Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello ALL (going for seminar tomm.) New to the page OHIO here

Well I am going for the seminar tomm. with Dr. Curry in cincy.... I cant wait. I am a little nervous I am low on the BMI, but he said I am a canidate. I sure hope all goes well. I added this site to my favorites. Everyone here is amazing, in what they help others with rather it be info, or encouragement..... Cant wait !

Missy

Hey Missy! And hello Cincy (my husband grew up in Anderson and we lived in Mt. Washington for a year). Good luck on your start! I'm also a low BMI and I made lots of mistakes jumping into the process. I only researched this a few months before I started and I should have spent longer. ie. I found out about the 6 mo. diet, so I started that with my PCP before my first seminar...I had just lost a bunch of weight so I was 1 pound below the 35 BMI, so I had to "start over" a month later with a heavier weight...I made things way harder than they had to be! (same goes if you're a few pounds from the 40 BMI). I also had only heard of the top 4 comorbidities that my insurance listed as examples so I put almost nothing down in that column at the seminars (so I wasn't considered a great candidate to them). I've since found out I have many comorbidities (ie. Asthma...diagnosed with adult onset a few years ago...who knew this is obesity related!). So start slowly and make sure you've got plenty of ammo for insurance, it will make the rest of this process easier! I'm sure you've got lots of hospitals to chose from there so if you're not comfortable at this seminar...go to a different one. The 2 I've attended were like night and day!

Edited by Band_Groupie

Hey Missy! And hello Cincy (my husband grew up in Anderson and we lived in Mt. Washington for a year). Good luck on your start! I'm also a low BMI and I made lots of mistakes jumping into the process. I only researched this a few months before I started and I should have spent longer. ie. I found out about the 6 mo. diet, so I started that with my PCP before my first seminar...I had just lost a bunch of weight so I was 1 pound below the 35 BMI, so I had to "start over" a month later with a heavier weight...I made things way harder than they had to be! (same goes if you're a few pounds from the 40 BMI). I also had only heard of the top 4 comorbidities that my insurance listed as examples so I put almost nothing down in that column at the seminars (so I wasn't considered a great candidate to them). I've since found out I have many comorbidities (ie. Asthma...diagnosed with adult onset a few years ago...who knew this is obesity related!). So start slowly and make sure you've got plenty of ammo for insurance, it will make the rest of this process easier! I'm sure you've got lots of hospitals to chose from there so if you're not comfortable at this seminar...go to a different one. The 2 I've attended were like night and day!

I am not going through my insurance, I am going to self pay. I dont want to wait, and I doubt I will be covered. I dont have alot of health issuses, I do have mild asthma but thats it. I have been learning alot from this page. I have read alot about it and I have a few friends that have had it done. I have read Dr. CUrry is wonderful so I guess I will see how th seminar is tonight. I am crossing my fingers ? Cincy is alittle bit of a drive for me, but I have read great things about him.................. Well I am learning about this page, so I am not sure if I responded right but please keep me updated on your progress.................... Missy

Good luck tonight Missy, I'm sure it will be great. It's was the only time in my life I was one of the skinniest people in the room...you'll be able to relate with your low BMI...I felt like everyone was looking at me like- why are you here (or maybe I just wanted them to). I'm over 5'8" and I wear the weight well. That's great that you can self-pay! It will take a lot of stress out of an already stressful decision/process. Let me know how it goes! I go to my 3rd one tomorrow morning-he's the surgeon my PCP recommended so I'm hoping it's great (and keep in mind my 1st seminar was pretty awful...my husband went with me and I came away really discouraged...so there's always other Drs.).