Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I posted these questions in the fill forum yesterday but no one answered..please help

These topics were posted in the fill section, but it doesn't seem like many people post there and I would greatly appreciate any help answering these questions.

Does it seem unusual to already have 7.6cc's in a 10cc band after 2 fills?

#1.

My doc is pretty aggressive, or at least he said my fills have been aggressive. I had my first fill 1 month after surgery and he put in 5.6cc, then I went today after 3 weeks of starving and he put in another 1cc. he said my 10cc band had a "prime" in it at surgery of 1cc, so that would make a total of 7.6cc. Will the fills be incrementally smaller from now on? I'm concerned that I only technically have room for 2.4cc before I'm totally filled. has anyone else experienced an aggressive fill dr like mine? Please help!!

#2. I just posted a similar question regarding fill levels, and I'm just curious about people who were banded around the same time as me...9-22.08. Do you have restriction yet? At what volume did you first fill restriction and how long did it last between fills? Thank you in advance.

Hi. I was banded on September 19th, 2008. My band also holds 10 cc's. My surgeon put 2 cc's in my band at the time of the procedure. I had my first fill on October 24th - they took out the original....well 1.8, put that back in and added 1.3. So after my first fill I have 3.1 cc's. Didn't have any restriction after surgery and still don't after first fill. I go back on Nov. 20th for second fill. How much restriction are you feeling with this much in your band?? I sure am hoping to feel some kind of restriction after my second fill. Becky

Wow, that seems like a lot for such a short period of time. I would think that your doctor knows what he is doing. I personally have a 4cc band and I just got a fill today and now have 4.6cc in my band. They said that the band can hold a little more than recommended. I hope my doctor is right. I am at 2 1/2yrs. and I guess I have hit the limit. I am almost at goal so hopefully I will be able to maintain once I get there. I guess we will both have to wait and see. Good Luck

Hi,

I was band on the 09-08-08, at the surgery they put 2cc in, I was not really feeling restriction. Then on the 10-07-08, I had 2cc more put in. I started having restriction but not like I wish it would be. Then today I saw my surgeon again and he put .5cc in, and now I feel it(weird .5cc that makes the difference). I hope it stays that way. Im in a 10cc band as well, I know you've told us how many cc you have in but how is your eating going? Do u feel restriction or not at all?

Julie

These topics were posted in the fill section, but it doesn't seem like many people post there and I would greatly appreciate any help answering these questions.

Does it seem unusual to already have 7.6cc's in a 10cc band after 2 fills?

#1.

My doc is pretty aggressive, or at least he said my fills have been aggressive. I had my first fill 1 month after surgery and he put in 5.6cc, then I went today after 3 weeks of starving and he put in another 1cc. he said my 10cc band had a "prime" in it at surgery of 1cc, so that would make a total of 7.6cc. Will the fills be incrementally smaller from now on? I'm concerned that I only technically have room for 2.4cc before I'm totally filled. has anyone else experienced an aggressive fill dr like mine? Please help!!

#2. I just posted a similar question regarding fill levels, and I'm just curious about people who were banded around the same time as me...9-22.08. Do you have restriction yet? At what volume did you first fill restriction and how long did it last between fills? Thank you in advance.

I have exactly the same amount of fill as you, 7.6 in a 10cc band. I was banded a bit before you-7-7-08. My NYU Dr is aggressive with my fills and I am glad. It took me 3 fills and then a .5cc unfill to get here. Being too full is horrible. I am now restricted and losing well. I could not imagine having another fill at least for a while because of the small amount of food I can eat now. I have not gone back for about 7 weeks and have no plans to. Try not to worry about when you will need another fill. Everyone is different and someone elses answers will not be yours. Some people never experience restriction or learn how to live with the band. Since you just had the fill, are you on liquids for a day and then mushies a day? That is what my Dr wants you to do to allow healing. Since you just had the fill, you probably don't even know how much restriction you have yet. Give it time. Just think, some people have a band that only holds 4cc. I might worry about filling it too fast then. My restriction really varies on my moods, stress level, time of day and month. This is normal. So see how you feel once your body heals from this last fill. Try to be patient and work with it as best you can. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about my experiences thus far. Good Luck.

Hi,

I was band on the 09-08-08, at the surgery they put 2cc in, I was not really feeling restriction. Then on the 10-07-08, I had 2cc more put in. I started having restriction but not like I wish it would be. Then today I saw my surgeon again and he put .5cc in, and now I feel it(weird .5cc that makes the difference). I hope it stays that way. Im in a 10cc band as well, I know you've told us how many cc you have in but how is your eating going? Do u feel restriction or not at all?

Julie

Julie - after my first fill I felt pretty good restriction for the first 2 weeks then BAM, i was all of the sudden starving on week 3 and eating what I feel like was more than I should have been able to and I was hungry between meals. Its only been 1 day since this fill and I'm not sure what I'm feeling....I'm really hungry but still on liquids so I guess thats to bbe expected. I'll see how tomorrow goes with mushies. Thanks for your response!

Hi. I was banded on September 19th, 2008. My band also holds 10 cc's. My surgeon put 2 cc's in my band at the time of the procedure. I had my first fill on October 24th - they took out the original....well 1.8, put that back in and added 1.3. So after my first fill I have 3.1 cc's. Didn't have any restriction after surgery and still don't after first fill. I go back on Nov. 20th for second fill. How much restriction are you feeling with this much in your band?? I sure am hoping to feel some kind of restriction after my second fill. Becky

Hi Becky - its hard to tell about restriction yet since its only day 2...tomorrow should tell me more. Really, the only restriction (or what I thought was restriction) was after my first fill, but only lasted 2 weeks. I sure hope my restriction will last longer with this fill. I do know that every sip I take gurgles after it goes down...i hope thats not a bad sign. Thank you for your response and good luck to you!

i was banded june 30th and my first fill wasnt for 8 weeks 2.5 cc then 10 weeks later went back lost 10 pounds dr said i had some restriction so he wouldnt give me afill next appt isnt until dec 23rd

I was banded nearly a week before you (9-16) and I have also a 10 cc band. I had (without my knowledge) 3 ccs already at surgery. I have now 4 ccs, and will have another cc 2 days before thanksgiving. So I'll be at 5 cc's for thanksgiving. Hope it gives some, but not to much.

teri

Restriction is as different among us as what each of us can and cannot eat. I do know that sometimes it is the smallest of amounts that makes the difference!

I have the older, smaller band which should hold 4cc's. On my first fill post surgery he added 1.25 cc's. I did not get much restriction from it, I did notice I had to slow down, but could still eat way more than I should. So I used my will power a bit! Then my 2nd fill I went in, and he only added .50 cc's--1/2 a cc? I was mad!!! I thought it was a money issue, since I pay for my fills, I mean really, 1.25 barely made a change, and now I get less than half of that? But I am pretty non confrontational, so I let it go, and told myself, next time I will speak up! So when my liquids were done, and I tried to eat-------holy crap, I was so tight, only 3-4 bites and my meal was DONE! I did not PB or hurt, I was just done. I was worried then that I would not get proper nutrition! But in a short while the weight lost, helped ease it some, and I never, ever got another fill! I made it to goal with those 2 fills---and the little bitty 1/2 cc---was the clincher!!!

So do not give up hope, the right amount of fill is out there for you, and when you sneak up on it, it will work for you!

I had my fill removed in April for my TT--and have yet to fill again---but have recently put on some pounds, so will watch VERY closely, then I am heading back for a fill!!!

Sometimes threads move really slow, and no one answers, and other times they move so fast, your question gets buried really quickly. If those things happen, just bump your question a couple of times to bring it back to the top, and if you still don't get any responses, you did great, tried another forum area----and you can always call on one of us mods to answer any of your questions-------we might not have the answer, but we can ask around for you!

Good Luck---hope this fill works wonders for you!

Kat

Edited by Kat817
correction

:tongue2: Hi there,

i was banded a couple of days after you at NYU. My doc has not been as aggresive as yours but im now at 7.6 in a 10 band as well but i am certain your doctor knows what he/she is doing and maybe had reasons for filling that way

Im glad you posted this question bc i have been stressing myself out bc i dont have a sweet spot yet and at 7.6 cc's i dont have much wiggle room. i am going to go for a fill next week and hopefully at 8 or 8.5 cc's i will have proper restriction

someone on the board told me once

"placing the band is a science but getting fills is an art"

Justice