Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should you be unfilled for another surgery?

For anyone out there that has had another surgery not band related did u get the band unfilled? I have to have a tumor removed from my shoulder and they are wanting to do surgery next week, but I am wondering should I get my fill out?

I called my lap-band surgeon and his office said no, that I don't have to, but I could just in case I had complications....Just wanted to know what everyone else would do.

They'll have phenergran on hand for nausea, post op. But you'll want to make sure they know you have a lapband and any vomiting could be detrimental to your band before surgery.

Nowadays, the anesthesia meds don't make you as nauseous, but some people do still tend to be sick, regardless. Good luck to you!

A TUMOR?!!! Yikes! I just hate that word, unless benign goes along with it, but STILL!

Well, your shoulder isn't really a part of the digestive system, I suppose I'd leave it. However, if you are sensitive to pain meds and could get nauseous, well, then I'd want my fill gone, that's for sure!

Good luck! Keep us posted on your surgery date so we can keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Hi Kelly,

I know that we hate to give up our fills, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Just in case there were any complications that might require them to insert a tube into my stomach... I would not want my filled band to inhibit access. I would get the unfill for some peace of mind.

I hope that you are OK and that your surgery and recovery go very smoothly. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Take care of yourself.

I'd probably go for the unfill, too, Kelly. Putting Fluid back in later on is a very small inconvenience compared to whatever complications a too-tight band might cause. Good luck, and I hope everything turns out OK!! :)

If something was to happen and I was to go into cardiac arrest or they lose me they won't stick anything in my stomach, just down my throat to my lungs. So what benefit would I have to take the fill out?

I'm thinking in terms of a negative reaction to anaesthesia causing vomiting. I don't know--maybe it's unrealistic. But if there's any chance that anything could happen that would compromise my banded future, I'd go for the unfill. But maybe there's not, and if that's what my doctor said I'd believe him.

I guess you are right... they probably wouldn't need access to your stomach... don't know what I was thinking... BUT Alexandria makes a good point about possible vomitting.

I guess I just wouldn't want to take any chances.

I hope you feel better soon.

I had bowel obstruction surgery and the first thing they did was unfill me, and I was glad they did, better to be safe then sorry. I just now started getting re-filled. 3 weeks ago I had 1cc put in and Monday of thisweek I had another . 5 cc put back in. Do not bealarmed if you do not go back to the fill level you were at prior to being unfilled. I was at 2.5 cc's before my unfill but no way can I go back to that it is too tight. He tried putting me at 2 ccs on Monday and the barium was barely going through..so he backed off to 1.5. I asked why patients who are unfilled cant go back to what they were prior to being unfilled and he said there is no explanation other then movement and shifting, whatever that means. I know I had 2.5 in my band befor I was unfilled I saw it all in the needle when he took it out.

If I get unfilled then I will have to take off work again on another day to get refilled. As it is I have to take off the 19th for blood work, and then the 21st and 22nd for the surgery. I really really really don't want to have it removed and I think I am going to try and not have it removed.

"dunking from everyone throwing shoes"!!!!!!!!!!

I just talked to Jessie, and she said that as long as I can swallow pain pills or anti-biotics, then I don't need an unfill.

Not throwing any shoes... :)