Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor will not be happy

I was banded on 9/22 and will go for my first fill tomorrow (couldn't go last week - I was working) and since I haven't had any restriction and am hungry all the time - I haven't lost weight. My last visit and weight was coming off 4 weeks of liquid only diet. Now I've been on pretty much the 6 month pre-op diet (maybe less food) - Protein, veggie, fruit. I have actually been losing weight for 3 years (2 years before I started this banding odessey) and am down about 60 pounds. I am happy with this. But my doctor said at the last visit that he wanted me to lose 10-15 lbs. in 3 weeks. I am about 185 lbs. Not only is 10-15 lbs. in 3 weeks unreasonable for any diet, but even more so for where I am weight wise and with no fill or restriction. I don't feel like I need to starve myself to reach some artificial goal. My surgeon is a regular surgeon who also does bariatric surgery and I was only his 23rd banding case. Anyone have this experience?:thumbup:

Sounds a bit unreasonable to me if you have no restriction. If you were well restricted and further down the road, I would think it would be ok. BUT, everyone is going to vary in their pace of weight loss.

But my doctor said at the last visit that he wanted me to lose 10-15 lbs. in 3 weeks. I am about 185 lbs. :eek:

Unless you are running long distances or something that burns immense calories there is no way to lose up to 5 lbs a week.

If I watch my sugar, I can lose pretty well, better than most my age, but 5 lbs a week??? I dont think so, not on my best week.

Let him be upset. I wouldnt let it bother me.

i view things a bit different - my dr works for me.

being self pay, i bought a 10cc band - and i wanted to make sure my dr was on board in assiting me in losing weight, not set time tables when that should be.

we actually have a charming relationship - cause i constantly challenge him and question why?? he's a band only dr and has done thousands.

i'm guessing you have a low BMI ??? you should not have the same expectations of weightloss that some others with more to lose do. it's just not going to happen.

my dr told me that 6-8lbs a month for a BMI (like mine 35) was ballbark what i should shoot for....it's been higher sometimes / stalled sometimes / or less.

i'd let your dr know you need his support, while reaching restriction & placing weight goals may not help.

You weigh 185...how are you supposed to lose so much so quickly? I am thinking he is confusing you with someone else who had a gastric?

I think that his expectations are a little high! My doctor was ready to jump for joy when I lost 12 pounds in 2 months. How close are you to goal? The recommended weight loss is 1 to 2lbs a week. Any more than that is rediculous! Especially, if you are on the downward side of losing weight. In the beginning I could see that. I would have to ignore that doctor and just let him know what YOUR goals are. Good Luck!