Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgeon gave little hope for weight loss w/lb

I had my initial meeting with my surgeon and he told me I would only lose 40-50lbs with lapband, he was trying to encourage me to have gastric bypass. He has only done 30 some lb surgeries and the other surgeons at this hospital have also only done 30 some. This hospital just started doing surgeries last Dec. I know the lb is just a tool, I get it, I understand that. But could someone give me hope that I will lose more? I am at 243 now, was at 250 at my 1st visit the bariatric center. Thanks for all of your help!

Five months ago I weighed 234 pounds I am now 172 pounds and the weight is still coming off. I have no doubt that by March (less than 10 mos) I will be a total of 97 lbs lighter and at goal. There are plenty of other people here with similar stories.

My concern would be whether your doctor will do well with support and after care to make sure you will be successful. If 40-50 pounds is the norm for his patients, then something is wrong somewhere. Does he provide the education, support and proper adjustments needed? Or does he just think that LB is not for you?

I hope that's not the case, I've been banded for 3 1/2 months and I'm down 52 lbs and i'm sure it's not over. I'm with Jodi, 10 months out I plan on being 92lbs down and at goal. Maybe you should find a more experenced Doctor, or at least a more positive one.

if you have researched & decided that the lapband is for you - i would suggest seeking out another dr. i wouldn't want someone who has only done 30 lapbands, rather someone with a LOT more experience....thus the reason he is encouraging gastric bypass.

it' is completely feasible you can lose more than 50lbs with the lapband. i needed to lose 75lbs & did so in less than a year.

I am 6 months post op and down 65 pounds... It's possible to lose 100% of your excess weight.

I would look into another doctor though. If those numbers are right for his stats on LB he isn't doing after care very well... Sounds like he doesn't follow up alot on fills.

Thank you all for your responses. And kudos to you all for getting rid of your excess weight! I would like to find some before and after pics of people who have lost a lot of weight. I have looked on this forum and can't really find many, a lot of before or afters but not both. Those b and a pics are so motivating to me.

I think if I make my mind up I can get rid of all of this excess weight.

This link helped out too.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/can-only-hope-lose-65-excess-weight-22256/

also, if this surgeon doesn't follow thru with fills like I would like, I will go to another doctor here in Iowa.

Five months ago I weighed 234 pounds I am now 172 pounds and the weight is still coming off. I have no doubt that by March (less than 10 mos) I will be a total of 97 lbs lighter and at goal. There are plenty of other people here with similar stories.

My concern would be whether your doctor will do well with support and after care to make sure you will be successful. If 40-50 pounds is the norm for his patients, then something is wrong somewhere. Does he provide the education, support and proper adjustments needed? Or does he just think that LB is not for you?

That is awesome Jodi! 5 months! thats almost the time the Biggest Losers do it on tv I think! That give me hope! I was at 248 and now am at 243 trying to follow the diet they gave me to get this whole thing started!! :eek:

I had my initial meeting with my surgeon and he told me I would only lose 40-50lbs with lapband, he was trying to encourage me to have gastric bypass. He has only done 30 some lb surgeries and the other surgeons at this hospital have also only done 30 some. This hospital just started doing surgeries last Dec. I know the lb is just a tool, I get it, I understand that. But could someone give me hope that I will lose more? I am at 243 now, was at 250 at my 1st visit the bariatric center. Thanks for all of your help!

I agree with everyone else, it can be done and I am living proof-down almost 70lbs in 6 months! I was 273 in May and now 205. The band is a great thing and not such a hard tool to use once you have good restriction. It is so much less invasive than the bypass and you don't have to worry about malnutrition. The band is adjustable and you are much less likely to stretch the pouch and gain back weight in time.

It is really important to find an experienced Dr! That was my main concern when I made up my mind to do this which is why I travel to NYC. Find one who has done alot and knows what he is doing. There is alot of stuff associated with being banded and the aftercare, not to mention the fills. Even if you have to travel, find someone who gives you positive feedback and is confident and experienced!

My advise would be not to have it done unless you are sure your Dr is the best. Your life is in his hands!

Man, these stories make me cross!

Where do these guys get off? Do they think they are God? How can he possibly know YOU, and how determined you are? He cannot assume that you'll be a stastistical average and anyway, his statistics are pretty dismal and not really reflective of reality.

I can only suggest that if you've researched the band and have decided its what you want, then you find a doctor who is supportive. He sounds like he just plain prefers to do bypasses and he's trying to steer you there for his own purposes.

What is realistic is that often with a band, unless you're dedicated and prepared to really work your diet and to exercise regularly, you wont lose ALL you're excess weight, its more common to lose 60 to 70% of it. That's not becuase you cant lose more but because a lot of people cant or wont change their lifestyles in the way required to lose 100% of excess weight and then there's a lot of people whose bodies simply wont give up that weight. You will probably lose slower with a band too, a more moderate 1 to 2 lb a week.

by the way, I've lost 120% of my excess weight and I am no "perfect" dieter. I eat a carb based diet (wholegrains only of course), never drink Protein shakes and refuse to have a Protein heavy diet - that isnt prescribed in australia anyway. I'm doing what I'm told by my surgeon and what I believe is healthy. I think the main reason I've been successful is that I run an hour five times a week. So you dont even have to live on starvation rations, diet strictly and spend four hours a day in the gym to lose all your weight - I have a perfectly enjoyable, doable and normal lifestyle.

Edited by Jachut

Another POV is that many people are happy losing 50-70% of their excess body weight. I've heard a few people say at that point if they never lost another pound they would consider themselves a success.

If you look at bell curves (and here goes Juli with the bell curve thing again) there are many people who are average. It stands to reason that not 100% of all people are going to lose 100% of their weight. 50% will lose 50% of what they plan on losing. It just is.

But who are you? Are you an above average kind of gal? Do you want to see your goal or would you be happy being a size 14? Do you exercise? Are you able to?

What other factors are impacting your decision? Are the differences between the surgeries having you lean toward one more than the other?

FYI, I was over 300 when I saw my doctor the first time. He told me the surgery would help me lose about about 70 to 100 pounds. If I wanted to live at 210-200 pounds the surgery would get me there. I told him I would prove his stats wrong because I am above average. Watch and see.

He's done nothing but eaten his words and been encouraging since the beginning when I lost 23 before surgery.

You too can be above average. Many of the people on here actually are. There are many people with the surgery who are not. They are the bottom feeders of the bell-curve and bless them for being there so that they can pad the numbers for my success.

Bottom line, yes you can lose more. Its really up to you.

As for the doctor, either give him a sharp talking to and tell him to get on board with you and your plans, or get a new doctor. I'd be getting the new doctor anyway.

It sounds like the 50 lbs he's talking about are what his other patients have lost so far Only having done 30-ish operations isn't all that much to go on. If he doesn't like doing LBs, then why on earth does he offer them?

30 something surgeries is not enough experience, regardless of bedside manner. I would suggest you look for a different doctor if at all possible. I would also have concerns for follow-up care with such a dismal outlook on success and lack of patients.

I have lost almost near 100% of my excess weight to bring me to a normal BMI, even after a partial unfill due to being preggers. The journey is what you make of it, if you are wiling to give it your all over the long term, you can lose a significant amount.

With that being said, and not to just be a nay-sayer, banding really is not for everyone. I have been reading threads long enough to see that there are plenty of people who fail and sometimes even gain weight post banding and either convert to another surgery or give up altogether.

There are some serious questions people should ask themselves before choosing banding . . .

1) Are you an emotional eater, if so, how do you intend to deal with it? You need a plan and the ability to follow-through on this one. Some of us need counseling or extra support to make it through this one. Eating can be an addiction and is for a lot of us.

2) Are you a grazer who eats small amounts throughout the day? If so, banding wont prevent grazing and is more helpful for those who overeat during their primary meals.

3) Are you prone to eating sweets or junk food? These items slide right through the band no matter how tight you are.

Some docs go by the statistics. Some go by their experiences with their patients. Some are just optimistic like crazy. And some, are anti-band and make you feel like a loser for choosing that procedure. I have a bit of a different situation, because I had my band placed by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico and found aftercare locally. My aftercare doc has had less than stellar results with his patients. He was honest about it with me. He told me that he hardly does bands anymore and prefers RNY or Sleeve. But I told him that I am not just anyone and he's been fully supportive. He gives it to me straight. And he watches in amazement as I defy his expectations. I like my aftercare doc cause he's been forthright and honest. He may not have had patients with the best stats, but I have GREAT stats. Lap-Band is different because you MUST have a relationship with your doc in order to have complete success. You MUST work your band. You must follow-up regularly and make sure your dialogue with your doctor is complete and honest. No room for being embarassed or shy. YOU determine your success. If you can handle a surgery with slower initial results, and want to be a decision maker in your care, the Lap-Band is a great TOOL. But, if you don't want that, and you want a little easier of a route, then there is nothing wrong with another form for WLS. Do your homework. Look at all of the options. And if you decide that the band is for you, get your doc on board with your philosophy or find a new one. You need your doc to be your biggest cheerleader, not someone who says "I told you so."

i like oh juli's bell curve analogy.

my surgeon also gave 60-70% EWL to me, and i scoffed. i'm like WHY - at 140lbs, i'm still overweight at barely 5'1. he knew i had every intention of getting to a normal BMI....but that is not the norm he says. most are happy with 50-60% EWL loss and are fine - a lot don't ever plan to exercise or change their eating habits.

you make the best of it & work it as how much as you want to. my last visit w/my surgeon he told me i needed to gain weight......i was just coming from a flu bug, but nonetheless .... i winked at him with a "i told you so grin".