Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a problem

OK everyone I think I need some advice.

I was banded on the 7th October (nearly 5 weeks ago)I did reduce the liquid and the mushie stages and have been eating normal foods without a problem. I have been able to eat everything (bread, rice, Pasta etc) without any PB'ing. I actually think I had been eating to much food. Anyway I went and had a fill on the 29th October (3 weeks post surgery) and was giving 1ml. Aparantly my band only holds 6ml. Once again everything was fine and I could eat everything and was beginning to think that I needed more fill. That was until today!

Today I had a sausage in bread and 1/2 way through it I knew it was stuck. After many walks, lots of saliva and a few PB's I still didn't manage to get rid of it. The uncomfortable feeling lasted 4 hours. It started getting so bad that I would make myself PB however I think at one point it was more than a PB and a real vomit (sorry for TMI). At one point I thought I had it cleared so tried to eat a potato chip or two and that would come up as well. After a while I was feeling ok and at my friends having dinner and I had two small bites of lasagna and that also came up.

My friend was then a little concerned and she gave her brother a call who is a Dr and also assists in lap band surgeries weekly so he would no what he was talking about. He wanted to make sure that I was able to keep liquids down and told my BF to give me something like a milkshake (as it is a bit thicker) anyway not all of this stayed down either. He then said that if I wasn't able to keep a piece of toast down for Breakfast tomorrow then I should ring my surgeon which I will do.

I am just confused because my fill was nearly 2 weeks ago and I am only feeling this now. Not good when I have only 1ml in although I have met a woman who was banded 12 months ago and has lost 30kg and has no fill in. Maybe 1ml is to much for me.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

Its been a sh*t day but the scales made me feel a little better with 1.2kg down since Breakfast. lol

If I have a bad PB day, it usually takes another day or so for me to get back to 'normal'. A lot of bandsters can't tolerate bread at all (myself included) so you may want to leave that out of your diet for a while. I would also go back on liquids for at least 24hrs and then slowly introduce proper foods - start with saucy types of foods, well cooked so they're really tender. Small bites and chew chew chew chew. If you're sure you doing all this and still PB everything then go back to the surgeon and get a bit removed.

Good luck!

yes not too many of us can eat bread....its only on the odd occassion I even try some toast

dont worry too much as long as you can drink Water....thats the main thing.....give it time to settle down....the area will be imflammed from p/bing

once you experience this its time to remember pea sized bites and then chew chew chew

im 14 mths banded and I still forget sometimes....just go slow and you will be fine...but it can be a bit frightening when you have it happen the first time

Leeanne

I haven't had any restriction since being banded but I have managed to lose close to 10kg. I went back to the Dr today and I had the 1ml taken out so I now have no fill in there. I then tried to have some salad for lunch and no good it came up as well. I think I will try and just stay on liquids for the week and maybe try something else come the weekend. If I am still struggling then I guess I will need to go back to the dr.

I am struggling a lot with liquids though as well. It really has been a terrible two days.

I would imagine after all the trying to eat and not being successful, the area around the band is feeling a little sorry for itself. Its probably swollen a bit and just needs to be rested. Your idea of liquids for a while sounds like a good one.

OK everyone I think I need some advice.

I was banded on the 7th October (nearly 5 weeks ago)I did reduce the liquid and the mushie stages and have been eating normal foods without a problem. I have been able to eat everything (bread, rice, Pasta etc) without any PB'ing. I actually think I had been eating to much food. Anyway I went and had a fill on the 29th October (3 weeks post surgery) and was giving 1ml. Aparantly my band only holds 6ml. Once again everything was fine and I could eat everything and was beginning to think that I needed more fill. That was until today!

Today I had a sausage in bread and 1/2 way through it I knew it was stuck. After many walks, lots of saliva and a few PB's I still didn't manage to get rid of it. The uncomfortable feeling lasted 4 hours. It started getting so bad that I would make myself PB however I think at one point it was more than a PB and a real vomit (sorry for TMI). At one point I thought I had it cleared so tried to eat a potato chip or two and that would come up as well. After a while I was feeling ok and at my friends having dinner and I had two small bites of lasagna and that also came up.

My friend was then a little concerned and she gave her brother a call who is a Dr and also assists in lap band surgeries weekly so he would no what he was talking about. He wanted to make sure that I was able to keep liquids down and told my BF to give me something like a milkshake (as it is a bit thicker) anyway not all of this stayed down either. He then said that if I wasn't able to keep a piece of toast down for breakfast tomorrow then I should ring my surgeon which I will do.

I am just confused because my fill was nearly 2 weeks ago and I am only feeling this now. Not good when I have only 1ml in although I have met a woman who was banded 12 months ago and has lost 30kg and has no fill in. Maybe 1ml is to much for me.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

Its been a sh*t day but the scales made me feel a little better with 1.2kg down since breakfast. lol

Hi Thinlizzy,

I could not eat sausages after I had my first fill. Very cruel and would take ages to come up but sooner or later, always did and what a relief. I found fish was easier but always chewing slowly. I was banded for the 2nd time on June 9th this year and also had abdomianl hernias repaired at the same time. Unfortunately I had to go in again for another hernia repair in November and caught a bad bug in the wound while I was in there and had to be isolated. I was a very sick girl. Anyway, my surgeon emptied my band before he started to operate and won't refil it for two months to let my insides heal. I can eat sausages but still have to watch it. Last night I ate two and suffered badly, getting up many times through the night to race to the bathroom. I think I'll have to avoid them altogether for safety sake.

I have lost 31 kilos since June and gone from size 22-24 top to a 16 and pants from an 18 to a 14. I have another 10 kilos to go to my goal. I never could've done it without the banding so it's still worth the discomfort. My daughter recently showed me a photo taken at my 60th birthday party that I had never seen. (Thank goodness.) I knew I was big but honestly, I NEVER thought that I looked THAT big. I looked like a huge whale with a huge overpuffed toads neck. I am pleased to say that is all gone now and I couldn't be happier. I have only put on half a kilo since the band was emptied which is a relief but I only have to remember that photo to keep me in line. UGH!!!

Best wishes.

I find the restriction from my fills doesn't kick in until afterwards.. generally about 4-7 days. My first "stuck" experience came as a surprise - I really had been lazy about following the small bites rule, and up until that point really didn't need to. But.. now its little bites. I cann't eat sausages no matter how small the bites. Probably not a bad thing given that they contain nothing good for you :-). I can eat the crusts off bread, but not the bread.

Sticking to liquids for a little while will help. You are a real bandster now :-)