Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body Odors...???? advice please!!!!

OK, not one of the things I am really wanting to admit but is this normal????

Since a few days after surgury I have noticed all of my body odors are stronger.( four weeks out now)

I shower at least twice a day now and deoderant fails within an hour or two tops. I just smell. This is all new for me. I have never had trouble with BO but OK this is about to be TMI..but...ALL of my bodily fluids, bodily odors, hair, everything is just different and not very pleasent. I am brushing my teeth several times a day as well.....ewwww very embarrassing.

I thought maybe the liquid Vitamins were doing it so I stopped them for threee days, no change.

I am getting plenty of Water, about 68-80 oz a day.

I shouldn't be in ketosis because many of my mushies are carbs.

Could it be from the protien drinks ( I drink 2 EAS Advantage edge carb controls a day) I will be on solids very soon so I can then give these up if they are the reason.

Did anyone else else go through this? Will it go away???

Embarrassed and in need of advice!!!! thanks

I went through it and it was TOTALLY EMBARASSING!!!...I found my deoderant wasn't working for me anymore and had no idea what the problem is. I never had this problem while in Ketosis in Atkins. For some reason I can no longer use Secret deoderant.

I found that Cornstarch powder worked well and I switched to a baking soda based deoderant (Arm & Hammer). After a few days I noticed the change. I'm sure its hormonal and chemical and whlie I'm not saying A & H is the perfect fit for you, clealry you should try a different deoderant until your body is back in order again. It will happen.

Ladies-

There's something called "certain dry" that you put on your armpits at bedtime only. This stuff works good but only if you use it every night. If you miss one night, you'll sweat again the next day. The good thing is, it works the very first time you use it. The next morning, you shower and put regular deodorant on and no sweat!!

I haven't been able to find it at a Wal Mart of KMart. I buy mine at an Albertson's grocery store and paid $11.99 for one bottle. Expensive, but worth it!!

As for the bad breath, try gargling or swishing with listerine every morning and before bedtime. After a couple of days, you should notice a difference.

Good Luck!!!

Tricia H

I had the armpit BO alot pre-surgery, one of the reasons I had the surgery! I was sweating ALL the time, even minutes out of the shower! Gross! I use Secret, maybe I'll switch to A&H, although losing weight has helped this alot. I haven't noticed the foulness in a while, so mine has all been weight related.

I think gypj is right on about it being hormonal and chemical. Especially since it's more than just the armpits. My bet is it will get better as your diet changes to something a bit more regular. Are you back on your Vitamins? Maybe drop to one EAS a day? If you can get your protien in without it?

Another thought that your Protien drinks may be the culprit, I hear of people doing High Protien/Low Carb diets complaining of yucky breath...Compare your diet pre-band to what it is now and THAT is what's doing it, I'll bet.

I wonder if the GNC has some type of herbal supplement? Some kind of "flora" balancing herb to get into your digestive system? Surely someone here knows what to look for so you don't have to go into the store and explain it all smile.gif

We love you Nita, even if your are a little smelly these days :)

I Am Starting To Think It Might Also Having Something To Do With This Deodorant Called Secret....i Use It Also And Have Noticed Lately It Isnt Keeping Anything "secret"..hahahaha!!! Good One!!! I Wonder If They Changed Something ??

I Am Starting To Think It Might Also Having Something To Do With This Deodorant Called Secret....i Use It Also And Have Noticed Lately It Isnt Keeping Anything "secret"..hahahaha!!! Good One!!! I Wonder If They Changed Something ??

They HAVE changed it! It's not the Secret my Nana used. She's the one who got me hooked on it. I'll gladly give it up, though. Improved, my foot! A&H is on my grocery list...I'll keep you posted! :)

Secret is what I use too. And no, it's not keeping any secrets....but I smell all over not just underarms. So I'm not sure if that's it.

Oh and thanks for lovin' me even if I stink Kathy..LOL!!!!

You know that song "smelly cat" from friends? I think it might become my theme song if this doesn't change soon!!!

smelly cat, smelly cat, what are they feeding you? Smelly cat, smelly cat....you're no bed of roses, no friend to those with noses, smelly cat, smelly cat, it's not you fauuuuuult. LOL

Last month's Redbook has a comparision of the best deodorants, and Adidas won. I'll see if I still have the article and post it tonight. They also mentioned the one you use the night before as being effective.

I don't know about all those other odors, though. My husband is really honest with me, and he never said I smell different, except my pooh (there, I said it.) That smells really foul no matter what I do, so I just keep the Apple Lysol handy since it's the only one that doesn't just mask the odors.

Kathy,

Me, too!!! I was going to start a thread on this but just have been too busy. Yes, I have been using Secret also. My dry cleaning bill has increased since I have to clean my shirts all the time. Don't try Dove deoderant. I have the same results. Certain Dry will take care of the wetness but not the odor. If you have trouble locating Certain Dry, ask the pharmacist. They can order it if it is not in stock.

I just asked Dr. Bond, my dermatologist boss, he said the smell is coming from the bacteria being released in the armpits or where ever. He suggests using an anti-bacterial soap in the shower. Cetaphil has a good one. He also said to make sure that whatever you buy to put under your arms that it is a deoderant AND an anti-persperant.

Hopes this helps! BTW, Kathy, did you get your box?

I've also noticed a certain stinkyness and yeah, my DO isn't working like it should (I gave up on Secret a LOOOOONG time ago...strong enough for a man my @ss!).

Also, from all the liquids I have a nasty white paste on my tongue. I had a teeth cleaning last week and asked the dental hygenist if I had thrush and she said no, it was just from the all liquid diet. I brush my tongue and drink plenty of fluids but it's still there. Yucko.

Since before surgery I have to use men's DO to even touch my sweaty-ness. If I can find the unscented kind, Old Spice High Endurance works best, tho they rarely have the unscented.

I had this problem for a bit also. The only deoderant that worked was my boyfriend's. He uses Gillette something. It was probably just the timing but after I used that for a few days, I didn't notice myself smelling anymore. And yeah, Secret seems to be useless....

What about trying that Gold Bond powder over your body? I dont know just a thought.. I never tried it. becareful with useing female powders or sprays, they kill the bacteria and you will just smell even worse.

I use Burts Bees rose Water astringent all over when I notice the funky... the smell is caused by bacteria, and the astringent kills the offending bacteria. I have very sensitive skin, and chemical sensitvities, so I don't use lots of products.

Try adding more fruit to your diet.

Heh, When I was working with a trainer, a woman walked by and we could smell her body lotion. it was really pretty, sort of a peachy smell. However, we thought it a little inapproprate given that we were there to sweat, not pick-up boys. Long story short, it wasn't the other woman, it was me. My sweat smelled like peaches because of my every night late-night snack--peaches with Fiber One Cereal.

Another thought--- Alot of body wastes and toxins can be stored in your fat. As the fat is processed in your body these wastes and toxins are re-released into your body and blood stream and are expelled thru various means--urine, sweat,breathe. Often these wastes are a delicious food for bacteria and you get a BO that is different and or stronger. Drinking alot of Water and urinating whenever you have the urge will help a little bit. Cutting down on sugar intake can also help some. But I think,other then the suggestions above, thinking of your body cleansing itself of years of bad foods and toxins is going to make the bad "BO" just a touch more tolerable. I noticed a "chemistry" change of my BO for about 2-3 weeks post op before it seemed to normalize some. I do notice that while not as bad as during that 3 week period my BO can become uncontrollable quicker than before i.e. I have to wash well more often.

By the way--keep up your Vitamins as that helps your body in the weight loss department.

T