Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 month diet troubles, need to vent

Has anyone gained weight on their 6 month diet? Okay, so on Monday I got in to see my nutritionalist lady for my 4th month of my 6 month diet. Last time I saw her I lost 4 pounds. She was thrilled. I neglected to mention to her that I was violently ill the week prior and I didn't eat for 4 days, so there's the 4 pounds. Well now I'm going to go in there and probably will have gained 10lbs. No joke. If I had a scale that went up to my weight I could tell for sure. I weigh probably about 385.

I'm dreading going to see her. I keep thinking that I will tell her about all my stresses. Filed bankruptcy, repossed car, sick husband, marriage trouble. You know the normal life struggles, but that's just a stupid excuse! I mean, what to I tell her? I suck? I can't loose weight, I love food way too much. I probably shove food in my face to deal with stress. Well, not probably, I do. So I'm just frusterated. I think the worst thing she ever did was let me know that I'm not required to loose any weight before surgery, so I have that in my head, like it doesn't matter what I eat because I only have 2 more months. Like the last supper syndrome, except mine is the last 2 month syndrome. I know I need the band! I know I emotional eat. I know I can loose weight, I have in the past. I know I should love myself more and take care of myself. I know what I should be eating, anyone who's been on a diet before knows what they should be eating. But it's so damn hard to know that you have 2 more months to eat your carbs. I just wish I could start the liquid diet now so I can clean my brain and body of all these toxic foods and thoughts.

Okay how stupid am I? I'm wishing to start the liquid diet? Maybe I should though? I'm not getting anywhere by oinking out, except to get bigger. I seriously keep thinking while I'm suckling down the soda that "just two more months and no more pop". Isn't this wrong? Don't i have the most backwards logic? And I think I'm only getting worse now that I'm freaking about seeing the skinny-hyper nutrionalist. I know she will be dissapointed in me, I'm dissapointed in myself. Has anyone else gained weight while on their 6 month diet? If so, what happened? What did they say?

Yes people have gained on the 6-month diet. Don't worry. If you could easily lose, and keep it off, on a traditional diet, you probably wouldn't be here in "lap band talk" land. :eek: Don't let her intimidate you! :mellow:

AND once you've had the surgery you can still eat carbs. You'll have to use your own good judgment to choose healthy options. So quit eating each meal like it's your last because it really really isn't! :eek:

I had to do a 6 month diet as well for my insurance. I had a hard time. I actually lost a couple of pounds here and there. Then I missed my 6th appt. I went back two months later to the doctor and was the exact weight I was on my first appt.:eek: However my surgeon said lets just submit it to the insurance and see what they say. Luckily I was approved....

On my own I started to do the pre-op liquid diet to just see if I could really do it. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either. And in one week I lost 6.5 lbs. That was drinking shakes, eating broth or cream Soups only, sf popsicles and sf Jello. Drink Water or propel fitness Water. Then eating low carb meal for dinner. So maybe you should try it, it won't hurt you and you will definitely lose.

Good luck to you.

I think alot of people have a misconception that you can no longer eat certain foods. Alot of us have no trouble eating everything we could before the band. With the band you are going to still be able to "eat around the band" if you want to. You really need to work now on your emotional eating, that did not go away for me with the band. The band is only a tool, and only works if you let it. You can still make bad food choices. And the band definately doesn't do anything to help you get your exercise that it takes to keep the weight off. Yes if used properly it definately works, but it doesn't kill the food demons, at least not for me. Concentrate the last 2 months on your relationship with food and exercise and don't worry about the pounds on the scale right now.

Hang in there...I'm just starting mine. Also, glad you've confirmed you don't have to lose anything...but you may want to be certain about gaining (not just a month but for the 6 mo. total). I just attended a seminar and they told us they had a person denied for gaining 1 pound (from beg. to end of the 6 mo. diet) and they said the person had lots of big comorbidities and was otherwise a perfect candidate for it.

I am currently on the pre-surgery diet that is supposed to shrink the fatty deposits of your liver so that it isn't so brittle when they move it for surgery. I was told in very strict terms that If the surgeon opens you up and your liver is still full of fatty tissue that makes it a riskier surgery...they won't hesitate to close you back up and deny you the surgery. Personnally I have fought too hard to get my insurance to approve the surgery to take any chances. I will stick to this pre-surgery diet until the day of my surgery and then abide by the rules afterwards not only because I want to be thinner, but also because my life and health depend on it. This is your life and health at risk...you are doing something about it...don't take a chance that it will be taken away from you. Hope this helps.