Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

Happy Monday to everyone, Just thought I'd stop by and say hello. I'm happy to report that I'm still feeling restriction and the few times that I though it was letting up or gone it reminded me that it was still there. I've had a few instances where things were stuck and i had the pain and uncomfortable sensation and am happy to say that I have had only one PB episode:scared2::scared2::scared2::scared2:. For me 1 was enough. From there on out I chew chew chew and chew somemore because that was by far the most uncomfortable feeling and the most disgusting method that I have ever experienced of my body rejecting food.:scared2::) I get chills just thinkging about it.

Edited by ddgalarza

Hello,

I read about the pb'ing & haven't experienced any trouble like that it's weird that I haven't it seems. I was banded last month & had a fill last tues & don't feel much I mean I'm not very hungry & feel stuffed if I drink a Protein Shake but that's the only time. I don't want trouble but wonder if my band is on correctly or what?

Hi everyone,

I was banded one month ago today & got a fill this past tues. so far Iv'e been able to eat anything without getting stuck or full so I don't know if I got enough of a fill. He said it was 4cc he put in, who knows. what's a sweet spot mean? Thanks KimmyQ

KimmyQ - the "sweet spot" that you see mentioned is when the band is tight enough that you are losing weight at a good rate, but not so tight that everything makes you PB or slime. I think I'm there - it took 2 fills for me, but it takes different amounts for different people. If you are happy with your rate of loss and you are not feeling a lot of body hunger, you could be okay...talk to your doc again.

Oh joy, I got to PB. Holy crap it was awful. The horking it up wasn't bad, but the ten minutes before had me convinced I was dying. chicken = bad

Aren't those the worst? It's funny what will cause a PB episode. For me it's some types of meat and bread seems to always cause one. I almost pb'd yesterday on fruit, so go figure!

I haven't figured out how to convince my head that I don't want those things that I KNOW will cause me problems.. has anyone gotten there yet?

When you get the answer to this one, please share! My head hunger is the worst part of this whole experience. I want Lay's Wavy potato chips - it's like crack to me...LOL

heck yeah ... Meat lately since my third fill is tough .. it scares me to eat it at times.... that stuck feeling in your chest is awfull. Bread = Extream pain!!

I'm right there with ya, Heather! Bread causes me a LOT of difficulty unless I chew, chew, chew and chew, chew, chew some more! Biscuits and rolls are the worst - rye bread isn't too bad, and wheat bread is okay. Sometimes I just want a piece of bread, ya know? Sandwiches are pretty much out for me. Crackers aren't too bad if they aren't "fluffy"...

Hang in there, everybody! We can do this!:lunch:

I'm so happy to read that so many people are doing great. I struggle a lot these days. Some days I can eat something and the next time I eat it I am sorry. I wish there was some consistency. lol.... Keep up the good work everyone.

I am not sure I can predict anymore when I will PB. Sometimes I can say, "Yup, I ate too fast". Other times I 'should' have been able to eat, such as afternoon time and hadn't had any trouble prior with that particular food or time of day. It is weird and makes every meal an adventure. I appreciate the weightloss but am still a bit nervous about eating in public because of it.

I feel the same way about eating in public. I know people who have this who are not embarrased about heading right to the bathroom and being sick, I on the other hand am mortified when this occurs. I would rather go to the back of the parking lot where there is no one. Sometimes we have no choice though, I get that. Eating is such a chore , but hey what isn't.lol

Hi all, I don't post very often, but I really need some encouragement...was banded November 24th, and weight loss was great for the first 2 months. Third month, I slacked up on my healthy choices and lost about 7 lbs. But now, I'm a total mess. chips, chocolate, donuts, you name it. Initially, I convinced myself it was ok, because I was PMS'ing. But three weeks of PMS cravings? I know I'm making horrible choices, but just can't get motivated. What's ridiculous is that I can't even really eat bread, so I'll eat a donut fully knowing it will get stuck.

I exercise twice a week (two hour high energy dance class) after work, but on the weekends I just can't get off the couch. I find that the only reason I even make semi-healthy choices at work is because a couple co-workers know I'm banded and I wouldn't want them to catch me eating the wrong thing.

I've already been to the nutritionist, and gotten a list of healthy Snacks and meal choices. I just need to get it together!

Hi all, I don't post very often, but I really need some encouragement...was banded November 24th, and weight loss was great for the first 2 months. Third month, I slacked up on my healthy choices and lost about 7 lbs. But now, I'm a total mess. chips, chocolate, donuts, you name it. Initially, I convinced myself it was ok, because I was PMS'ing. But three weeks of PMS cravings? I know I'm making horrible choices, but just can't get motivated. What's ridiculous is that I can't even really eat bread, so I'll eat a donut fully knowing it will get stuck.

Morethanbabyfat - love your avatar - is that you? You're a cutie pie! :lunch:

I have some of the same issues - have you been in for a fill yet? That might help with some of the head hunger issues you are feeling - I'm guessing this is mostly head hunger and not actual hunger pangs. One thing that might help is to distract yourself - when you feel like eating something that's not exactly bandster-friendly (meaning high calorie, high fat, slider food, etc) distract yourself by changing your location. Get up and walk around, get away from the computer, change some music, etc.

I read an article about aversion therapy that suggested wearing a rubber band around your wrist and snapping it every time you had the craving, but I'd be black-and-blue if I did that! :wub:

It's great that you have an exercise plan you are sticking with - maybe a 5 or 10 minute walk thrown in when the craving hits will help to turn them down as well. Perhaps setting a short-term goal would also help. Are you close to changing sizes in clothing? Buy something in your next goal size and use that as part of your motivation. Perhaps start one of those "add a charm" bracelets and add on when you reach a goal - by the time you reach your ultimate goal, you could have quite a nice bracelet!

These are just a few ideas - I'm sure others will chime in with more! Hang in there...you can do this - heck, you ARE doing well already!:w00t:

Hey EbonyRose,

That is me, thanks for your kind words! I've had two fills so far, and I actually think I've got pretty good restriction. The problem is the slider foods. It's like the convenience stores call out to me...I live in NYC, so there's at least one on every block. I always feel like I need to go in a pick up a bag of cheddar and sour cream Ruffles (I believe those things are laced with crack). I've heard of the rubber band thing, but I also would be black and blue...and cranky by the end of the day!

I can squeeze into a 16 right now, but I recently bought a size 16 dress from H&M that makes me look like a streetwalker, instead of like I'm going to work, which is where I want to wear it, so I've estimated that I need to lose another 5-10 lbs to wear it comfortably. It's hanging outside my closet door as motivation.

I'm going to look into the charm Bracelet too. That will definitely keep me motivated! Somehow, the thought of buying jewelry is more exciting than a bag of chips. Thanks for that suggestion...

I was banded on November 10, 2008. I lost 35 lbs before surgery and 15 since for a total of 50 lbs, where I seem to be stuck!!

I can't have any junk food in the house, I used to be a sweet eater. But now I seem to be eating chex mix my husband makes, and I never ate it like I have been!! I find that after a fill I'm good for about 3 weeks then I start getting hungry. I am due for another fill on the 24th. Luckily I have not had any sliming or pbing, but my husband who was banded in September does. He just needs to slow down and chew chew chew!!

I'm having a hard time cooking 2 small portions!! I have way too many left overs!

Don't give up and try not having the junk food in the house. Drink more Water and go for walks. You can do this.

good luck

Hey EbonyRose,

That is me, thanks for your kind words!

Okay - off topic question here - your hair is gorgeous! What do you use on it? I am recently (1 year) natural, and while my hair is not as long as yours, it seems to be of a similar texture...

You have the hair I want eventually! :lunch: How long have you been growing it out?

I'm having a hard time cooking 2 small portions!! I have way too many left overs!

I cook huge portions too, but I bought these great 4 oz containers, and I package everything up and bring it to work for lunch. But I usually end up eating the same thing for a whole week, which is probably why I get sick of it, and then grab junk.

Okay - off topic question here - your hair is gorgeous! What do you use on it? I am recently (1 year) natural, and while my hair is not as long as yours, it seems to be of a similar texture...

You have the hair I want eventually! :w00t: How long have you been growing it out?

Ok, so at the risk of letting ALL of my business hang out,I have to let you know that I have some assistance in the hair department. It's only mine because I paid for it! :lunch:

I cook huge portions too, but I bought these great 4 oz containers, and I package everything up and bring it to work for lunch. But I usually end up eating the same thing for a whole week, which is probably why I get sick of it, and then grab junk.

What about packing up portions and then freezing them? Then you could rotate through the frozen lunches until you eat them all and not have to repeat endlessly for a week...that way, you could have your cooking frenzy on a weekend, and eat for a couple of weeks or even a month!

Ok, so at the risk of letting ALL of my business hang out,I have to let you know that I have some assistance in the hair department. It's only mine because I paid for it! :lunch:

It's truly gorgeous! I feel ya on that, though...I had shoulder-length hair for many, many years, and relaxed it for over 30 years total. I ended up with some breakage behind both ears and I know that was my hair's cry for help, so I stopped relaxing. I grew it out for a while but got tired of dealing with two radically different textures, so I did the BC (big chop) and went totally natural. Now that it's a year or so later, I have a good amount of hair on my head, and I love Qhemet Biologics products for it. My avi looks the most like my hair right now, though it's a bit longer than my hair.

Take a visit to nappturality.com if you ever think about going "napptural" - there are lots of resources, other folk who have been-there-done-that, and some with truly gawgeous hair to inspire you.

NSV---wore a pair of cutoff jeans today that I haven't been in for two summers. YAY! No more PB's..but please explain to me how I can eat steak with no prob, but pudding gets stuck each and every time. Truly freaky, no rhyme or reason

Edited by elysenoland

Anybody else have bankers hours bands? My band won't let me eat before 9 am......no matter what time I wake up. It will get stuck every time. Then I need to eat my last meal for the day at 5 pm. Any later and it gets stuck as well. Very strange to me. I have had two fills I don't need anymore.....:lol:. bread, in any form, is soooo painful I wouldn't care if I saw another piece of bread in my life. I know I don't eat very much.....everyone says. I am having IVF treatments, so they tested me for nutritional deficiency and I was completely fine. So I at least know that I am getting what my body needs, now for someone to tell my head that. With kids it is hard to stay on track and not eat on the run or eat bad choices.