Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

Amber, thanks for letting me know it's not just me! I see my surgeon 12/29. I'm not sure I'll get a fill at that time. I'm still doing ok with eating every 4 hrs or so. I've lost 23.5 pounds (6 were pre-op). I too am not hungry in the morning...I feel very tight. It's sometimes difficult for me to eat before 9am and I'm up at 5 and at work by 7. BUT I'm pretty hungry when I get home. I have an hour commute each way. At first I was drinking my Protein shake on the way home but if I get stuck in traffic, I barely make it home :(. Any suggestions?

I've got just the thing to squash your hunger for the drive home, because I do the same thing! Have you ever made the instant sugar free pudding by Jello? They have lots of flavors, my favorite is the Cheesecake flavor. Anyways, the pudding is prepared with 2 cups of 2% milk per box. I prepare the pudding as directed, and then I add in one scoop of Protein powder. When I make the Cheesecake pudding I add a scoop of vanilla Ice Cream Protein Powder (made by Optimum Nutrition). But there are all sorts of combinations you can do. I divide the pudding into two containers (1c in each container), and I eat one of the containers as an afternoon snack about 30mins before I leave work. It keeps me satisfied until I can get home and cook some dinner! :smile: The box of pudding made with 2% milk and a scoop of Protein powder is about 400cals, so I guess that makes it a 200cal snack with about 20g protein.

Thanks...I'll try that. I seem to be so hungry when I get home. I do really well all day. Then bam!!

I was off today and did really well. I had to force myself to eat. I don't know why I want to eat as soon as I close the garage door. That was my biggest problem before banding...yet when I'm home I don't have these cravings.

Heather, if you are satisfied at 3-3.5 oz of food, it sounds to me like you are in a good place! Just let him know you may go back to see him in a couple of weeks if you start to find it inadequate maybe?

I just got back from my first fill. Not a piece of cake, but not horrible. He had a little trouble getting the needle lined up right to access my port. No pain though, just a lot of pressure. Finally he got it in, and gave me 2 cc, which gives me 5 cc in my 10 cc band. He said the way he judges if its "enough" of a fill is when he lets go of the plunger on the syringe, it "pushing back" and kicked some of the Fluid back out (about .2 cc). That happened for me at 2 cc added and I had 3 cc still in there from the surgery itself. I am on fluids for 24 hours now...sipping a chocolate Protein shake and feeling fine. He had me make an appointment for two weeks, told me I can cancel it if I have good restriction and am losing, but to come in at that time for another fill if not. And he said to come back in four weeks no matter what just for a follow up visit, even if I don't need a fill.

Thanks, I'm good at 3oz I do however find that I have to have a littlw something between reakfast and lunch. sometimes the eggs don;t hold so I will have a Atkins advantage bar inbetween it's high in Protein 17 grams the calories are 160 ... still freaks me out a little I like to keep snack under 100... but that is my own Narotic thinking!! Thanks again I have a fill in 4 weeks and he said if I need it before than to let him know.

I've got just the thing to squash your hunger for the drive home, because I do the same thing! Have you ever made the instant sugar free pudding by Jello? They have lots of flavors, my favorite is the Cheesecake flavor. Anyways, the pudding is prepared with 2 cups of 2% milk per box. I prepare the pudding as directed, and then I add in one scoop of Protein powder. When I make the Cheesecake pudding I add a scoop of vanilla Ice Cream Protein powder (made by Optimum Nutrition). But there are all sorts of combinations you can do. I divide the pudding into two containers (1c in each container), and I eat one of the containers as an afternoon snack about 30mins before I leave work. It keeps me satisfied until I can get home and cook some dinner! :smile: The box of pudding made with 2% milk and a scoop of protein powder is about 400cals, so I guess that makes it a 200cal snack with about 20g protein.

I am curious why you don't use skim milk? It would cut the fat and calories significantly without really affecting the protein level.

I am curious why you don't use skim milk? It would cut the fat and calories significantly without really affecting the Protein level.

I would make it with non-fat milk but my husband refuses to drink non-fat milk. He'll compromise with 2% but no lower, haha. So as a result, I use 2%. I imagine non-fat would work just the same, though it might not get as thick. Non-fat milk is almost akin to Water, haha.

Hi Notorious Novembers!

I'm doing well - just over a month out from surgery, and healing very well. I did have one incision that seemed slow to heal, but has finally healed up after I wore a band-aid on it for several days in a row. It must be in a spot that is irritated by my bra band or my waistband, I'm not sure which.

Weight loss is stuck - down a pound last week to 239, no loss this week. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself, since I haven't had a fill yet and I'm not sure if there is any Fluid in my band already. I do feel some restriction when I try to eat too fast or too much. bread still gives me a little trouble, so I minimize it or chew it to liquid before trying to swallow. :huh2:

No trouble with Vitamins or medication now - I split my pills for a couple of weeks and did chewable vitamins, but now I'm back to the 'normal' ones. :thumbup:

My clothes are getting looser :tt2: - I'm down to a size 18 (comfortably) from my previous high of a 22/24. I'm thinking I'll be in a size 16 before New Year's if this keeps up. :smile::w00t::thumbup: The inches are going, but not the pounds yet. My first fill is scheduled for January 6th.

I've got a plan for the holidays that includes a little grazing, but none of the 'eat yourself into a food coma' that I used to do. :lol: My employer gives us a recess from Christmas Eve until the Monday after New Year's so I'll be in the gym every day except for Sunday.:eek: I want to start the New Year in better shape and I figure 10 days of gym work is just the thing I need. :cool2:

It's good to see all the other Notorious Novembers checking in - everyone is doing well and handling their struggles well. You all give me hope and inspire me. The newbies are so full of enthusiasm that it reminds me of why I did this.:wink2: The veterans are full of wisdom and good advice and help me to make it through when I'm struggling. :wink2:

I almost didn't post today because I haven't lost anything, but figured someone might need to see that there are NSV's to be had (non-scale victories) and that even small progress forward is still progress forward! :w00t:

Happy holidays to all!

Hey everyone. Just had my first fill today 10 this morning. It wasn't nearly as bad as i had feared. :thumbup: She only put in 2cc's because it was early in the morning and she said i was really tight already. With the holidays, she was worried so didn't want to be as aggressive. I'm ok with that for now but after the holidays in 3 or 4 weeks or so, I will probably go back in for some more. I definitely can feel the difference. No problem getting Water or slim fast down, but it definitely took me longer to get my slim fast down than it used to. :thumbup:

I think tonight i'm going to have some pudding and maybe try some mashed potatoes. I'm so excited, I really hope to see some pounds start coming off now.

Good Luck. I had my first fill last week. Still have no restriction and have gained 4 pounds. I don't think the band is for me. :thumbup::frown::thumbup:

Hello, My name is Janice and I had surgery 11/05/08 and 11/06/08. There was a problem with the port, so I had a new one exchanged the next day. I don't think it effected my healing as I feel better than ever before. I had wanted to do this surgery for a long time and I finally made up my mind I had to do something. My diabetes was getting worse and I wanted to change my life and improve my future. My husband and my kids completely supported me, which only enforced my decision. I get my first fill 12/29/08, because I could not get off work to make a doctors appointment. I would like to thank everyone that asks questions and tells the good and bad of recovery and changes in their lifestyle since surgery. I really appriciate reading that my weight loss and fears and challeges that I face are normal, and only people going through the same thing can understand. :thumbup:

WannaB, you stop that! Its wayyyyy too early to make a declaration like that, even to yourself. We are only just getting started! You wouldn't let a friend talk to herself that way...don't let yourself. This is going to take time...we all knew that coming in. I lost big in the first two weeks and since then have bounced around a lot. Its the holidays, I am hungry, and my body is adjusting. So is yours. Get to six to nine months and if you aren't seeing a difference, THEN you can evaluate whether this was a good idea. Five weeks after surgery isn't even officially out of the immediate postop healing period.

Patience and persistence. Have faith in your decisions and keep plugging ahead. :hug:

Hello, My name is Janice and I had surgery 11/05/08 and 11/06/08. There was a problem with the port, so I had a new one exchanged the next day. I don't think it effected my healing as I feel better than ever before. I had wanted to do this surgery for a long time and I finally made up my mind I had to do something. My diabetes was getting worse and I wanted to change my life and improve my future. My husband and my kids completely supported me, which only enforced my decision. I get my first fill 12/29/08, because I could not get off work to make a doctors appointment. I would like to thank everyone that asks questions and tells the good and bad of recovery and changes in their lifestyle since surgery. I really appriciate reading that my weight loss and fears and challeges that I face are normal, and only people going through the same thing can understand. :thumbup:

Hi, Janice! It's nice to meet you. :thumbup:

I'm having a rough time today. I don't have any restriction and my first fill isn't for another three weeks. I'm going to call the doctor's office tomorrow and ask if it really needs to wait that long. (If they are even open.) I talked to the nutritionist on the phone today. She told me that I can go to "regular" foods from mushies now. I can have 3 oz. of Protein, 1/2 cup veggies and 1/2 cup carbs at each of my 3 meals. It sounds like feasting compared to what I was doing, BUT...........I don't feel like I have ANY willpower. I know that I can eat a lot of crap and not feel sick. I just ate about 15 soft mint candies. The desire to not gain weight back is not stopping me. I feel like I'm floating out in the ocean on a little tiny raft and I can't get back to land.

I'm also feeling like maybe the lapband isn't for me. (I heard what you said, Gentylwind. That was nice.) If I can't stop myself from "breaking the rules" then why bother? I'm tired, sugared out, and stressed over the holiday. I think I better go climb into bed.

Thanks for listening to me whine.

Ok ladies, the lap band may or may not be for you. GIVE YOURSELF AND IT A CHANCE. Some days are harder than others. You made a lifestyle choice which is harder than you anticpated. You believed that you could loose weight and can. You went through an operation to improve your health. It is Christmas, the most difficult time of year food wise and temptation is everywhere. Don't feel bad for treating yourself to chocolate or turkey dinner. Realize that it takes time to learn new eating habits and to feel restricted. You CAN DO THIS AND WILL SUCCEED, one day at a time.

Thanks for the pep talk I needed it. I found myself eating chocolate and Cookies this week. What I need to do is honor my body and decision and just choose to eat healthy. It is good for my diabetes blood pressure and weight. What a Christmas present. We spent a lot of money for this and I am not giving up!!!!

Kirsty

Ladies, we have to be strong. We can do this. I had two sugar Cookies last nite. I felt guilty BUT then I realized this time last year I would have had a dozen cookies.

Just think if we didn't have the band what our weight would be.

I am having restriction. A lot of foods are getting stuck...even when I chew and I haven't had a fill yet. Has anyone had this problem? The second cookie set there a while before it decided to pass thru. Kinda scared me at first. It was a real wake up call.