Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

I'm going to answer this even though you asked someone else. :)

For my first fill, my doctor put in 2.4cc first, and then had another needle with 1.4cc in it. Once the 2.4cc was in, he slowly injected the saline in the other needle, and after most of that was in, he stopped. He then had me sit up (with the needle still in) and take 2 sips of Water. Mind you, I felt the saline go into the band (it was cold) and I felt the band tighten around my stomach - it was really freaking weird, haha.

So, I took one sip of water and was about to take another when I literally felt the water stop in my pouch - and it didn't go down. It was sitting there, partially backed up into my esophagus - it was so cool! So I told him the water wasn't going down and I couldn't take another sip. He removed a little saline with the needle and I felt the water slowly go down.

AAAGGGGHHHHHH, creepy I tell ya. I could feel everything. But anyways, we went back and forth like that, testing the restriction I had on 2 sips of water, until he felt I was in a good spot. I ended up with 3.4cc in my band for my first fill. :wink:

holy cow thar's amazing!! I go next week but i have to go to the radiology dept!! they look at your band while filling the first time. thnxs jamie

holy cow thar's amazing!! I go next week but i have to go to the radiology dept!! they look at your band while filling the first time. thnxs jamie

My surgeon first looked at my band with an ultrasound - the same kind of thing they do when you have a baby. Rub that gook on your belly and move the wand over it to see what's in there. He found my port that way, and marked it with a pen. Then he put the needle in where he had marked, removed the air from the tubing (OUCHIE this part hurt) and then he started with the saline.

I've heard fills are best done under fluoroscopy but my surgeon doesn't do that.

I am very excited and nervous. I go for my first fill on Tuesday! I had my surgery on Nov. 20th and I think I am doing really well. I have lost 20 pounds post surgery. Just this last week I started feeling hungry between meals. I am still on mushy foods and to be honest am nervous about moving to solids. I am afraid of getting sick, or getting something stuck! What is a good meat to try first, one that hardly anyone has trouble with? Keep up the good work!!

I am very excited and nervous. I go for my first fill on Tuesday! I had my surgery on Nov. 20th and I think I am doing really well. I have lost 20 pounds post surgery. Just this last week I started feeling hungry between meals. I am still on mushy foods and to be honest am nervous about moving to solids. I am afraid of getting sick, or getting something stuck! What is a good meat to try first, one that hardly anyone has trouble with? Keep up the good work!!

I'm not a big fish fan I do shrimp and tuna ( moist) I mostly eat chicken breast, center cut pork or tender loin. Chicken Breast can be tough if your not a great cook if it's dry it's tough!! Just remember to chew and chew again and you should be fine.:wink2:

Well heck. The scale has hopped up about seven pounds from my lowest point so far and is staying there, probably because I am starting to gradually add in solids. I need to watch my sodium level too I think. My clothes are still very loose, so I am not losing heart, and people are complimenting me left and right on my loss already. But I am very ready for my fill to come.

I haven't scheduled my first fill yet, so I am really glad to hear some stories about how it goes.

I'm not having any problems with anything I eat, so I am really watching my intake. I make sure to chart as much as I can (food and exercise) and it really seems to help me. I've been doing this since last spring, so it gotten to be a habit. I have the Realize band, so I am using that web site right now, but I have used others in the past and they work pretty well also.

:crying: Banded on November 22nd., I am doing Great!! Minor discomfort where the port is, nothing major. I am following instructions almost to the letter. Afraid to hurt myself. I had some hot ceral which was not soupy enough and thought I was going to D-I-E...ha, I had let it sit and it started to thicken. Anywho, on December 14th I start my soft foods. Mosit fish, tuna, shaved turkey , soft eggs etc.......

Any other suggestions what I can have which constitues soft food ? :wink2:

Back again...:crying:

Chellie - I've been adding Protein sources like deviled ham and chicken to my menu recently. You have to watch the salt content mostly, but they are not really high in fat. I add a little sweet relish and eat it with crackers or on a thin slice of bread. Both have been going down well unless I eat too fast!

I haven't had my first fill yet - won't until early January if I remember correctly. I'm a little concerned about Christmas, because I don't feel much restriction right now, but I did try to eat a sandwich too fast the other day and really felt it! Talk about an OUCH! :angry::mad2::wink2:

Of the things I've tried to eat, bread seems to cause me the most trouble. Biscuits are totally out right now, so are most rolls and types of bread. Crackers are okay, and Soup / oyster crackers in my soup are okay. I use the saltines with unsalted tops (blood pressure concern) and they mush up nicely in most Soups.< /p>

Easing into more solids - had Indian food for lunch today - rice, veggies and chicken. Not too spicy, and I cut the chicken up very small before eating it, and chewed very well. No problems with that...of course all the bad stuff goes down easily - it's the HEALTHY stuff that gives problems!:wink:

Canned fruit has been good - they have single-serve cans that are around 100 calories (packed in juice), and the fruit is fairly soft, so it also goes down pretty easily. If that's too tough, try applesauce, or making your own purees by blending the other canned fruits.

Gentylwind - go easy on yourself...our bodies have been through a dramatic change, and they need time to adjust. Like you, I want it to happen quickly, but I've been forced to accept that I don't completely control WHEN this weight is going to come off. I'm currently at a standstill, and I just have to accept that.

If the power-exercisers on the Biggest Loser can have weeks where they don't lose much, we mere mortals must accept that they may happen for us too!:sleep:

Things I have enjoyed on the soft foods phase:

Lentil Soup (not pureed)

Turkey chili with and without Beans, both (both canned and homemade)

Cottage cheese

Hummus

Yogurt with fruit in it

tuna salad (homemade)

Soft baked fish

Mashed potatoes

Cooked vegetables

scrambled eggs (broken up VERY fine and eaten VERY slow), with cheese in them, mushrooms in them, etc

Moist cooked, tender meats, such as pork tenderloin (BEYOND small bites and super massive till-the-jaw-hurts chewing)

Egg drop and wonton soup

hey everyone, i was banded on nov.28th, and just started soft foods today. I put a small pot roast in the crock pot today with a can of cambells onion Soup. when it was cooked i shreded it all up with 2 forks and returned it to the onion soup. took small bites and it went down down real nice! :rolleyes2:

:thumbup:Hi something that is great is Hamburger Stew. Brown the meat and get rid of the fat then make it just like you wood stew. Use mashed potatoes and it is awesome

Kirsty:tt2: eat up and enjoy

My surgeon first looked at my band with an ultrasound - the same kind of thing they do when you have a baby. Rub that gook on your belly and move the wand over it to see what's in there. He found my port that way, and marked it with a pen. Then he put the needle in where he had marked, removed the air from the tubing (OUCHIE this part hurt) and then he started with the saline.

I've heard fills are best done under fluoroscopy but my surgeon doesn't do that.

Had my first fill on Friday and it was done fluroscopy. I didnt feel ant part of it. My doc put in 2.5cc and I am not sure if I feel restriction yet or not. I dont have a problem eating anything I just dont eat much of it.

meat loaf was good for me when I went out to dinner. Baked Beans were yummy as my first real food!! I am making a turkey dinner tomorrow and the nutritionist told me to eat the turkey with some gravy (not too much of course!!!) I am not 3 weeks out until Monday. I'm very jealous of everyone getting fills. I have to wait until Jan 6th and I have not felt any restriction with any food going down even though the Dr put some fill in during surgery supposedly.

I liked Ground turkey