Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone cheat on preop diet?

I am waiting on approval right now then they said my surgery will be scheduled in about 30 days after. They haven't told me about the pre op diet yet, I didn't know that different drs required different diets. Is this all just to shrink your liver or is there any other reason with it?

I am waiting on approval right now then they said my surgery will be scheduled in about 30 days after. They haven't told me about the pre op diet yet, I didn't know that different drs required different diets. Is this all just to shrink your liver or is there any other reason with it?

Not everyone HAS a preop diet. Not every doc requires one and most likely different docs have different reasons.

Mine was to shrink my liver. You know losing ANY weight improves your health and chances during and post surgery, so perhaps that's why. If/when your doctor gives you a diet, ask him or her what the goal is....that way you'll know what your situation is. In fact, when they tell you your schedule, ask them about preop if you want. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who doesn't have anything except the normal diet 1 day before to kind of "clean you out!" (that's common for many surgeries!) :eek:

RESTLESS, as I can appreciate your reply I wanted to further explain my thinking. I am NOT making excuses to cheat, quite honestly the toast is just so I can stomach my Diabetic Meds. My docs diet calls for 3 servings of yogurt a day which I cant have due to the sugars so I substitute it with 1 piece of wholewheat toast. I guess I am really not cheating but just tailoring it to my medical needs.

There are sugar free and splenda sweetened yogurts...I know they're kinda gross, but better than my pre op diet...4-6 EASE shakes a day and one small lean cuisine...blah, but I did it to my best ability...maybe try to find a better yogurt or ask your surgeon what else you can do because the yoghurt isn't doing it for ya....never hurts to ask :eek:

RESTLESS, as I can appreciate your reply I wanted to further explain my thinking. I am NOT making excuses to cheat, quite honestly the toast is just so I can stomach my Diabetic Meds. My docs diet calls for 3 servings of yogurt a day which I cant have due to the sugars so I substitute it with 1 piece of wholewheat toast. I guess I am really not cheating but just tailoring it to my medical needs.

I think it's good you clarified for others who might read and imitate you! :eek:

I understand your problem; I couldn't take potassium (they are HUGE) and you don't take them on an empty stomach. The nutritionist made such a ruckus I just didn't take them at all during liquids, but you can't do that. You might want to make sure your surgeon knows about your meds, though, for post op. Seriously, your stomach will churn to digest even a little toast. If it's enough to "cushion" your tummy for your medication, it's enought to cause your stomach to move. You don't want that, so make sure he helps you figure out a plan for the first few weeks post op when you are on liquids only (assuming you are.!)

My mom is Diabetic and the only yogurt she ca eat is the Mountain high plain yogurt...it's pretty much like a greek yogurt...Vanilla and strawberry are sweetened naturally with pure crystalline fructose, an all natural sweetener with a low glycemic index. Crystalline fructose won’t induce insulin spikes like the cane sugar, organic cane juice, and high fructose corn Syrup used in other brands. Plain Lowfat Mountain High Yoghurt is unsweetened and makes a great one-to-one recipe substitute for high-fat ingredients like sour cream, cream cheese, butter, cream, Mayonnaise, or even milk.You have to look at the plain yogurts not ones that are fruit flavor or have fruit in them :mellow: Milk just naturally has sugar in in, so anything made with milk, unless it's specially processed to remove the sugars, will have sugar in it. So some of the sugar you see on the label is from the milk. Dannon Light'n Fit Carb and Sugar Control yogurt has Splenda, so I don't know if you do splenda or not. :eek: Just a few that I know of Good luck

Thank you both, I have looked in the past and havent seen them but I will look again, Typically if it has more than 7 sugars I dont touch it but thanks again.

I will admit and not happily, that I did cheat. I'm not proud of it and I wish I hadn't, tho I had my reasons.

I was put on a 10 day liquid Protein shake diet of no more than 800 calories a day. I started on a Friday. By Monday, I was shaky and faint (getting the little sparklies that tell you you're going down). I was home alone with my 2 yr old til Thursday AM and terrified that something was going to happen. I opened a pouch of tuna, mixed a minimal amount of LF mayo in it and ate about a 3rd of it. Felt SOOOO much better with that little bit, I did it again Tuesday, and Wednesday, finished it off. Thursday, DH came home and I stopped the tuna and stayed only with the shakes.

That was the only food I had for the 10 days and I was soooo scared that I'd messed up my surgery. Restless Monkey had just gone through her NO Band surgery and I felt so bad for her and that I might be joining her.

In all honestly, I did feel that I had to have a little something in order for safety BUT I really am upset that I did it at all. It really isn't worth the stress. I went in to this determined to follow the rules and I broke them the first week it mattered!

I have since followed my surgeon's rules. Only through the grace of God, my liver was fine and I had the surgery the following Monday (August 25th).

I will NEVER recommend that people cheat on the diets their surgeon's have put them on. I will NEVER say that b/c I did it and had no problems, that it's okay. It's NOT okay. You MUST follow your surgeon's instructions. If you're having problems, call or e-mail your surgeons and ask them for guidance.

mjlalways, since you have a medication issue, please talk to your surgeon about working with it. It MAY be okay for a little bite of something but maybe it's something he'd prefer over what you've been doing. Best wishes!! :blink:

i was just banded about two weeks ago and actually i started a thread with the same question. my 2 weeks pre-op liquid diet was pretty much Optifast and Clear liquids, no meat, none of that 1 meal a day stuff and i almost lost my mind. my body went into shock probably on the 2nd day and by the 3rd and 4th i did cheat with a boiled egg one day and a piece of cheese bread the other. i was also worried about if i had did something wrong, and did read RestlessMonkey's story and it got me back on the straight and narrow..lol i did call my Dr. office and asked if i could have a boiled egg, being that it is full of Protein and have some type of ingredient that will keep your hair from falling out ! anyhow my surgery went well, i am fine and although i don't advise it i do understand how it is !

Dr. Ernest C. Rehnke

Palms Of Pasadena

St.Petersburg, Fl.

I know this has been asked before, but just wondering who has and been ok for surgery. I'm on day 6 of a 14 day diet, which includes one 4oz piece of lean meat and green veggies plus 2-3 Protein shakes. I haven't cheated but I'm gettin twitchy :rolleyes2: Thanks...

You'll be fine. I had a 10 day diet by day 3 it was horrible so i did cheat. I went to the 99 and had gold fever wings/but five days pre surgery i was so excited and nervous at the same time i just did the liquid diet Jello. Protein Shakes...yogurts:rolleyes: you'll be good