Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

this compulsion to finish

Hoo boy, now that I'm on to mushies and more actual food I can see this drive to finish whatever I've got on my plate is going to be a big one to deal with. Having the band, by definition, means most of the time I'm not going to finish what's on my plate, I'm going to stop when I get full instead.

And yet I drive myself crazy thinking "okay, I've got to stuff the rest of that down.

It's like I can't throw it away. Happened this morning with a bottle of juice. I was really full and quite done but just couldn't stop until it was gone.

Am fighting it right now with lunch. I'm pleasantly full but I feel like I'm "misisng out" on something if I don't finish what's on my plate.

This is weird...and bad. THIS is how folks get in trouble, trying to eat too much.

I would guess most of us have dealt with this issue at one time or another???

Yup, clean plate club. "Starving chilren in China"

I've switched to mostly using bread & butter plate for my plate. Not so much realistate. Some people use a saucer or desert plate

I really had a hard time learning not to clean my plate. Yup, Mom use to tell us eat all you want, but don't take more than you could eat! I too eat off of a smaller plate most of the time, and I am learning it is ok to leave food on my plate. Sometimes I ask my DH if he wants the rest of my plate and when he takes it it helps too! I don't feel guilty anymore for leaving food, in fact, it makes me smile to see that I can!

Smaller plates would help but I'm in this habit of putting a HUGE portion on there! I got some chicken salad at lunch in a tiny box but really took too much. Even in a small box it's too much, like a cup worth and we all know the ol' tummy pouch can't hold that much.

In other news....what is up with the food police of the world????? I mean I've had THREE people comment "is that your lunch? ??? Is that all you are eating????" to me. Who asked them to effing assess my lunch??????

ah yes, the food police. Some people are concerned about your welfare. Some look at how little you are eating, and can't believe it. They are eating much more, and by golly, you're a big girl, so you are probably eating more too.

Actually, I think a cup is about right, depending on the type of food. Of course, your mileage may vary

The only way I can do it is play, "RUIN THE food FAST." The second you feel full, dump Water and salt on your plate. If there's huge leftovers for another meal, then I wrap it up. But those last few tempting bites will torment me if I don't ruin them.

I've had to switch down to a smaller plate as well, as I just couldn't bring myself to not fill the plate up and like you, I wanted to finish it all.

DeLarla - I love that idea. I'll definitely have to try it - here's hoping my hubby doesn't have me committed for it LOL.

I suffer from this same problem... I switched to the dessert plate, but then found myself putting too much food on that plate. Now, I am back to measuring and weighing everything and putting it on a saucer or better yet, eating it right out of the measuring cup.

6 weeks ago, I had to have an unfill due to heartburn and reflux. I had good restriction, but was packing my pouch -- didn't have any problems with hard stops (pain or PB's)... but I was ignoring my initial soft stops (runny nose, slight discomfort like something being momentarily stuck)... I was waiting until I had what I call my almost hard stop - hiccups and full stomach feeling. I am now trying to train myself to walk away at the soft stops. It is very hard, especially when you love food as much as I do... I just want to keep on eating.

I like DeLarla's idea... anyone else have any advice?

Thanks,

Lol DeLarla....I do that too. The only way I have found to stop myself eating is when I am full I do something to the food left on my plate so I cant eat it. Things like lots of tabasco sauce, Water and salt. I know...crazy...but whatever works. :)

If the salt shaker is too far away, dump sugar packets, the ashtray, or anything you can get your hands on. Guess what? It's not the end of the world... it actually makes you stop eating. I suppose we could throw the food at the wall, but some might scoff at that.

I was thinking the wall...but then I have to clean it up and I am far too lazy to do that :)

This is one bad habit I broke a couple of years ago. Not to say I quit overeating but I didn't do it just to clean the plate anymore.

I read an article and gave it a try and this is basically what I did...

First make yourself leave one bite of food on the plate then be proud that you didn't clean the plate. After a few times, try to leave a couple bites, then remind yourself how you are doing so good and do not need to clean your plate. It takes actually telling yourself, see, I can do this. I didn't clean my plate, I left at least two or three bites there. Eventually, you can switch your need to eat it all to the need to leave some there. Even when hungry, I just can't finish a plate without leaving a little there now. LOL so switch one compulsion for another, LOL

I even finish the last bites on other plates. My friend, Darren, ate a cheeseburger Sunday (I had already eaten) and he left the best, most cheesiest corner of the burger on his plate cause he was too full. WHAT? So I ate it. No pride. But come on, it was that one bite with double cheese dripping over the side as if all the cheese in the world ended up on that corner of the burger.

The only way I have found to stop myself eating is when I am full I do something to the food left on my plate so I cant eat it. Things like lots of tabasco sauce, Water and salt. I know...crazy...but whatever works.

As a child I was sent away for a summer to a "fat" camp..this is one opf the behavior modifications I was tought, to this day it has stuck with me..I do exactly the same thing and my husband hates it when I ruin my food..another thing I learned at that camp is to always leave atleast one bite of each item on your plate..