Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rice, bread and tortillas o my

Okay so I am having trouble adjusting to the idea that I'll never be able to have bread, Pasta, tortillas or rice ever again. I'm armenian and my husband is Mexican so tortillas are big in his culture and rice and pita bread are big in mine...am I ever going to be able to have pilaf or sarma (stuffed grape leaves) again? I've only had one fill because since then I have been too afraid to go back since my first one wasn't a good experience and because it's an hour and ten minute drive one way!!! I cry all the time and I hate my body almost as much as I did before the surgery...I don't know. Maybe I'm just being a baby...any tips or anything? Thanks in advance!!!

Honestly I'm not worried about the healthy no carb part of not eatting them I'm more concerned with the if I eat them I'll get stuck thing...lol ty maybe I'll give them a try

I don't have any problems with rice, pita bread goes down fine....denser breads like whole grain are ok...or just take it real slow, chew well...now tortillas as in tacos, burritos are rough some days but enchilada sauced ones are fine...just try a little at a time...you will learn....:lol:

I think the answer is, it depends on how tight your fill is. Maybe later you wouldnt need to have such tight fills and then you can eat bread again.

I was banded on July 9th, and both my fills were very non aggressive and Im still eating bread. In fact, Im still eating everything I was before the surgery. I should have gone in for a fill last weekend and like you wasnt sure I wanted to give up bread and things I eat with my family, so Im just walking more.

Im also losing much slower than you, so its a tradeoff. perhaps once you dont feel like you want to lose so fast, you can loosen your fills and just maintain your weight a year from now or whever you hit goal.

I can still eat bread, and rice, and Pasta. Its harder than some foods, easier than others.

I can eat ANYTHING, its just a matter of how much work I want to do to get it down. You come to just not want certain foods (like pizza, the thought of it is revolting now).

I am Greek and the thought of never being able to eat

stuffed grape leaves would be very depressing. I wish I could eat them every day, but I am too lazy to make them. I do eat them when I go to the Greek restaurant when I go to visit my dad.

Like everyone else said, you will be able to eat those things. Some people choose to keep their band very tight, which in my opinion, is not a good thing. I think it's dangerous for the band to be that tight on our stomachs. If your band is very tight, it will be more difficult to eat those things.

I can eat anything I want, as long as I chew it up until it's liquid in my mouth. Sometimes, that is not a good thing, as my weight goes up and down. Eating with the band is a learning experience.

You come to just not want certain foods (like pizza, the thought of it is revolting now).

There was a thead on this topic. That some now dont want to eat certain foods. I dont think this is ever going to happen to me. I managed to stay away from pizza on my cruise until the last 3 days and had midnight pizza every night. Sounds like I need to get my lapband involved so I cant eat some of these things, but I just couldnt do it last time and cancelled. 1.8 cc and 1.8 cc in a 10 cc band, just no resistance right now. I feel like Im walking the weight off, not dieting yet.

I need to move forward and get that next fill and tighten up so my band is doing what it should be. I feel guilty when I read how much faster others are losing that tighten up their bands. I really need to do what you all are doing and quit eating everything.

Okay so I am having trouble adjusting to the idea that I'll never be able to have bread, Pasta, tortillas or rice ever again. I'm armenian and my husband is Mexican so tortillas are big in his culture and rice and pita bread are big in mine...am I ever going to be able to have pilaf or sarma (stuffed grape leaves) again? I've only had one fill because since then I have been too afraid to go back since my first one wasn't a good experience and because it's an hour and ten minute drive one way!!! I cry all the time and I hate my body almost as much as I did before the surgery...I don't know. Maybe I'm just being a baby...any tips or anything? Thanks in advance!!!

I have eaten tortillas a couple of times, I did not have a problem with them at all. I have not had rice or Pasta. My nutritionist has me on a pretty strict meal plan. I too am not supposed to eat bread, pasta, potato, rice, tortillas. I am working really hard to make this work, but must admit I have eaten a couple things on the forbidden list. I didn't care for my first fill experience either, but I'm going to have to get another one because I feel too hungry. I'm doing this on mostly will power at this point. Your not being a baby. Just stick with it and make it work for you. GOOD LUCK!

Hi ... I come from the middle east ... means I can not live without pita bread and stuffed vine leaves ... i eat both at the moment, and the trick i think is in the quantity ... i chew a lot ... my doctor said i can not try Pasta till i learn how to chew well since spagetti is not exactly very chewable in normal times ... so far i have not tried it ... i had pizza , i was full after 1/4 of a meduim size thin pizza which i think is quite ok ... my advise is do not feel left out of any dish u like , just consider stopping when you feel a little full ... and chew well ...

ummm again rice is a daily dish here , with some stew and meat ... before surgeory i used to eat like a whole plate now i can say i eat 1/10 of it and i feel full

Sounds to me like alot of you are lucky. I can't even begin to look at bread or even rice. Bread gets stuck and rice makes me sick. I was banded in June and have 7cc in 10cc band. I'm comfortable with my band being tight so I just deal with the limitations. Not at all saying it's easy!!! I miss pizza more than anything in the world. I've guess I've learned to live without it by telling myself how bad it is for me. I want to loss the weight more than I want bread I guess. Grape leaves on the other hand, who can live without those.

bread is a definite not for me, I have days where I can tolerate rice or Pasta, we eat spaghetti alot since its a favorite of my 3 year old :)

For myself, it varies day to day, sometimes I can eat just about anything I want and others everything I eat makes me sick. Just hang in there, it does get easier. The key is keeping yourself relaxed when trying to eat and taking your time and chewing well.

After an unpleasant episode with rice this evening, I will only say take it slow. It took too large of a bite without thinking. I swallowed and knew instantly that it was a mistake. I have eaten rice since banding with no problems as long as I remember to take it slow.