Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Music to MOVE To

Hi All,

In another thread Barb said she’d like some music suggestions and I thought I’d post some of my favs for anyone else who might need some tunes too.

Most of these can be downloaded from ITunes. There’s a pretty good mix here of almost everything BUT rock. I figured most of you know the good rock music to work out to (Bob Seger/Stix/Queen) but may not be familiar with some of these great lindyhop (swing)/rockabilly/bluegrass etc songs.

What I really love about the Ipod is you can make a playlist with all these but set it to “shuffle songs” so every workout is varied.

I’m always looking to add to my workout music so if you have any of your favorites to share I’d love to hear them!

--Kare

Mambo No. 5

Lou Bega

One Year of Love

Queen

Con te Partiro

Andrea Bocelli

(make big circles with your arms while walking to this one)

Puttin’ on the Ritz

Top Hat White Tie & Tails

Fred Astaire

The Girl Can’t Help It

Little Richard

Have Love Will Travel

Big Sandy

Aint Nobody Here but Us Chickens

Louis Jordan

Up a Lazy River

Michael Buble

Rip it Up

Elvis Presley

She’s a Lady

Tom Jones

I am a Man of Constant Sorrow

The Soggy Bottom Boys

I Wanna Be Like You

Disney (Junglebook)

Brian Setzer Orchestra:

Gettin in the Mood

The House is Rockin

Brown Derby Jump

Pennsylvania 6-5000

Americano

Indigo Swing:

Another Day in LA

Red Light

Blue Suit Boogie

Love’s Gonna Find You

How Lucky

Cherry Poppin. Daddies:

Zoot Suit Riot

Come Back to Me

Brown Derby Jump

Alan Parsons Project:

BOTH THESE ENTIRE ALBUMS ARE GREAT

I Robot

Try Anything Once

SLOW DOWN & STRETCH

From O Brother Where Art Thou?:

I’ll Fly Away

Down to the River

In the Jailhouse Now

The River is Wide

Brad Cox

If you like pink, i have most of her misunderstood and try this on my ipod. Most of her music is upbeat so great to work out to. I also have Smash Mouth (astro land), Simple Plan (No pads no helmets..just balls), Marron 5 (songs about jane)..I also tend to like Avril Lavigne (lets go).

Melissa

I love Simple Plan (God must hate me) talk about teenage angst!

These are some of my movin' songs: Mystermen Soundtrack, Tank Girl soundtrack, Puddle of Mudd "She F-ing hates me" la la la la, The Ramones, DEVO (oh sawthe Fantastic 4 this weekend, and Reed had an autographed framed pix of DEVO on his dresser! Woot!) Daft Punk (techologic)...

I have a Dell Jukebox. I love it, 15 gig harddrive, and it plays a multitude of formats, not just the mac format. (I researched the different compression formats available and I like the sound of WMA best. My juke box is also great for recording lectures, especially accounting lectures since they put me right out...

I've been thinking about getting an ipod shuffle since the bitty size if it appeals to me, but the 126 song limit is too small for me.

I haven't downloaded any music, I just buy the CD.

The shuffle is what I have but the 1 mg size...so I can get over 200 songs on it (i haven't filled it yet lol). But I love it for working out. It hangs over my neck doens't get in the way and is so light weight that I forget it is there. Hubby has the ipod mini and loves his, my daughter likes his and hates mine. She fusses because it doesn't display the song its playing. The whole purpose behind mine was to take to the gym, SO the shuffle is perfect. Before this I used a mini disc player. I liked this just fine too, but I wasted alot of time setting myself up at the machines, so didn't use it when I lifted. With the shuffle I leave it on for the whole 2 hours. It is great.

Melissa

Hey ladies--THANKS for the music recommendations! I especially like the Smash Mouth and Devo. That Devo "Here to Go" song (Go! go! Go! GO!!) is my new mantra!

Really, the only thing that got me to get my butt out the door for a walk tonight was the anticipation of listening to some new tunes.... well, that and the dog staring at me.

Oh man, DEVO is the greatest. They are goingto be playing at Bumbershoot this year! (a bumbershoot is british slang for a 'brolly, an unbrella. See, it rains some here in Seattle... :) ... Ever have a "double-biblical?" :)) Bumbershoot is a big music fesival, and I feel good enough these days to go.

But I'll be in Exile! No DEVO for me!

Yesterday I bought "The best of Dick Dale and his Del-Tones" a double Sam the Sham & The Pharaohs (Little Red Riding Hood & Wooley Bully) (Spudboy was THRILLED!) and a replacement of DEVO's "Greatest Misses" (Spudboy stepped on the last copy and snapped it in half)

My Jukebox has 15 gigs of space, so I currently have over 3,000 songs, over 200 hours of music...

Okay...oldies but goodies, add

The Weather Girls:

SUCCESS! & It's Rainin Men

Huey Lewis & the News:

The Heart of Rock & Roll/ You Crack Me Up/Honky Tonk Blues

Brian Setzer Orchestra:

Jump, Jive & Wail/Americano/Crazy Little Thing Called Love & Gettin 'In the Mood

ALL of these are FAST--great for the elliptical or spinning. Good luck keeping up!

I'd love to hear more of your suggestions, but pleeeeze post the song NAME as well as artist so I can find it on Itunes. It costs too much $$ to download by album.

Thanks!

Just a few of my favorites on mine. I have an IRiver Jukebox...I like it, but it is a little bulky...very interested in those new little slim

Apple IPODs that hold about a 1000 songs.

Def Leppard

Aerosmith

Gov't Mule

Vertical Horizon

Matchbox 20

Train

Melissa Etheridge

Etta James

Avril Lavign

Incubus

Staind

Collective Soul

Keith Urban...man what I would give for 10 minutes with that man!

Rascal Flatts

Lonestar...just to name a few

Mine can hold 5,000, but I only have about 870 currently.

Here lately I've been into:

Ryan Adams (not Bryan)

Jayhawks

Neil Young

Goo Goo Dolls

Lifehouse

Counting Crows

Sheryl Crow

Keith Urban

Iron and Wine

Vertical Horizon

Duncan Sheik

Collective Soul

Ellis Paul

Nickel Creek

Toad The Wet Sprocket

Michelle Branch

Nora Jones

Many many more.......

Don't deny the disco in your soul.... and don't forget the Funk

It just doesn't get any better than Brick House!

:]

Wow, great list, if any of you like cuban/salsa type stuff, I recommend

Gloria Estefan

Conga

Get on Your Feet

1-2-3

Rhythm is Gonna Get You

Thanks Shalin!

I'll download those tonight.

UFORTUNATELY... I can't download any of the others because I don't know which specific songs you guys like and I can't download the whole artist (charged PER SONG). Am I the only one who uses ITunes?

I've been in the hunt for fast pace treadmill music. Here is what's in my iPod for getting myself moving:

Don't Go by Yaz

Put The Needle On It by Danni Minogue

Can't get you out of my head by Kylie Minogue

Pon de Replay by Rihanna

Walking on Sunshine by Katrina & The Waves

It's Raining Men by The Weather Girls

Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of...) by Lou Bega & Pérez Prado

I'm a Believer by Smashmouth

Let's Bounce by Christy Carlson & Romano Carlson

Take Me Away (Into The Night) by 4 Strings

Switch by Will Smith

Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz