Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help

My surgery was in July of 2007. I lost only 20 pounds. I started to have a lot of vomiting and my doctor removed all of my fill and wants me to start over. That was probably 6 months ago. I haven't been able to do my pre-surgery diet again, in order to start back in with the fills. I have since regained all 20 pounds, and put on 10 more. I am disgusted with myself. It feels as though it's impossible for me to succeed with this. I'm angry at myself for going through all of this, and wasting the chance. I know that exercise has been one of my downfalls. I hate it. Has anyone else been here? Is it possible to get back in the game? Please reply to me. I really need help!

U can do it!! U did it before u can do it again! We are here to support u and help u get started again..take it one day at a time...dont feel disgusted we all had this done for a reason to LOSE WEIGHT!! Its a tool that needs u to work for it not it to work for u..so with all that said start with light exercise (walking) and work ur way to 30 min a day..watch what u eat and get back on the losers bench with us!! i believe u can do it..good luck

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I joined the forum last year, but haven't really used it much. I'm hoping to use it this time for encouragement and support.

Momof2: Why did they take all of it out? Why do you have to do the pre-surgery diet again? When you are overfilled they just usually take a little out at a time. Sometimes that's all it takes. Have you contacted your doctor and told him that your having a hard time? Don't mean to be so nosey, just curious.

momof2. I hear how hard this is for you. People look at the lapband as a cure all, a miracle. Just get the lapband and it will do all the work for you. It is so dissapointing when you test it and find that you are can eat all the things you used to eat. That if you push it you can still eat quite a bit. That the lapband won't make you change your habits of a lifetime or get you off the couch to exercise.

I avoided getting lapbanded for years because I felt that eating was my last fun thing. I am a divorced mom of 2 who has raised them alone for 10 years now. I had to give up everything to do this and I felt like eating was my last outlet. But finally when I was almost 300 lbs I realized that if I didn't do something quick I was going to tip over the 300 lb mark I decided it was time. My last joy was going to kill me. The truth was my real joy will be walking my daughter down the aisle when she gets married, watching my son graduate from law school, playing with my grandkids. Those are the joys I was not going to experience if I kept eating the way I was. So I made the decision and started my journey down the lapband road. On September 8th I had my lapbanding surgery. Because my doctor put me on a Liquid Protein diet 2 weeks prior to surgery I was already down 14 lbs by the time I went in. That was a motivator right there. I had my first fill almost 3 weeks ago and it was rough. I was back on liquids and mushies for a week. When I could finally eat again everything solid got stuck and I was pbing every single day. But finally a few days ago I was able to eat regularly again. I hate to exercise but I walk almost every day at work for 20-25 minutes with friends. We talk and the time flies. I stay away from candy, cake and ice cream. I don't drink my beloved Diet Coke anymore. I eat really slowly. Because I eat so slowly I am full after only 6-8 bites. When I order food at a restaurant I ask for a box when I order and insist they bring it with the food. I immediately cut my portion in half and stick half in the box before I start eating so i won't even be tempted to overeat. Usually I end up putting even more in the box after I am done eating and one meal lasts me 3 days. I drink and drink and drink Water, water, water. It is working. I am losing weight. Slowly but surely it is coming off. I have a set back now and then and put a lb or 2 back on when I just have to have something salty but it comes right back off in a day or two. Here are tips that will get you going:

1. Drink lots of water. Flavor it with Cyrstal Light if you need to but get it in. At least 40 ounces a day.

2. Get a friend to walk with and walk. Start with 10-15 minutes a day at the mall or somewhere and go for it. You will have so much fun talking you won't notice the time go by.

3. Chew, chew, chew. 20 times for each bite and wait at least 1-1/2 minutes between bites. That will help you know when you are getting full before it is too late and you are stuffed to discomfort.

4. Ask for a box when your food is brought and cut half your portion and put it right into the box and close the lid. lunch for tomorrow.

5. Make a list of at least 5 small goals and the rewards you will give yourself when you get there. Lose 10 lbs go see a movie. Lose 20 lbs, buy a new outfit, etc....

6. Come to this or another site every day and read about how everyone else is doing. I guarantee they are having the same problems you are and it will make you feel better to not be so alone.

7. Buy at least 2 things each week at the store that are low fat or low sugar to replace something you love. IE: Frozen Yogurt or sugar free ice cream or popscicles to replace fatty ice cream. Promise margerine to replace regular. You get the idea.

8. Love and forgive yourself for the past and move on. Wallowing won't solve the problem. Doing something good for your body will.

9. Last but not least remember the lapband is only a tool. If you don't make the hard choices and follow through you will still be where you were before the surgery only with scars on your stomach.

10. Remember we are here and we care. We will always listen and support you.

Good luck on your journey. You can do it.

Newoutlook

40lbs down and 60 to go :)

I had my surgery one month before you did. And let me tell you- it's so worth it.

Do whatever you have to do, even change doctors. If you are relying on insurance to cover your fills....pay out of pocket if you can and get a good fill doctor w/ a good care plan.

Yes, yes, yes...you can start over...the makers of the Lapband made that as part of their system.

Keep us posted.