Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After researching the Lap Band extensively I have decided that the only thing that might stand in my way is the cost of the surgery. My question is, who has not gone through their insurance and paid out of pocket for the surgery and if so did you have to put down a couple thousand dollars and then pay monthly, or are you just paying monthly(and if so how much a month), did you get a loan, basically I am curious as to how you are/did pay for the surgery. I really want this surgery but I am afraid that I won't be able to afford it :blush:

I used a home equity line of credit and made payments on it which the interest was tax deductible. I know most people who own a home have had their equity lines frozen due to the whole fiasco with the banks and the fact that homes have lost a lot of equity lately..so I dont know if that is an option for you. I know there are lots of companies that will finance surgery but I hear that you probably can get a way better interest rate from your own bank than from them. Don't be discouraged..you will find a way.

Hello, regarding private pay, I'm using my 401(k) monies, borrowing against them, not taking them out, that way you don't pay penalties. I did use the doctors company Care Credit - for a small portion. Lots depends on your credit situation, what you'll be approved for.

I have a health savings account (HSA) and have almost saved enough in it to pay most of the cost. Otherwise, we are dipping into savings. I think we are lucky because we don't have to wait and jump through some of the hoops the insurance folks do.

Put it on my line of credit - which has a cheaper interest rate than credit cards, AND the rate quoted to me by the finance company the surgeon used.

I hated to do it, I wished I had had the money, but it was (and remains) the best money I ever spent!

My husbands parents had recently sold their house and given us a little money. I used some of that, I borrowed some from my parents and I used some savings. Once I put my mind to it I was determined to come up with the cash....

I have heard of people who go all different routes...purchasing the whole thing on credit cards and making payments, going thru medical credit companies, borrowing against homes, selling cars, begging parents....

I paid $16,000 and it was worth every penny...

Patricia

I financed mine through Care Credit; yes, it will take me 7 years to pay off, and yes, that freaking stinks, but you know what, it was worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY.

My insurance had a written exclusion for any type of weight loss surgery, so I had no choice. I told myself that everything happens for a reason and that I would explore every possible avenue and whatever happened, happened. It all worked out, and I couldn't be happier!

I self pay for my surgery too. I almost gave up the idea of having the surgery done after finding out all the hoops that I had to jump through. But one day I stumble across this forum and a local hospital had an ad on the home page. I found it by accident and truly thought it was meant to be. I paid $9900 for everything ($150 for fills after the first 90 days post op). I was fortunate that I saved all my paycheck while on my last maternity leave. I was saving the $$ for a Tummy Tuck since I knew that carrying twins will be murder on my stomach. Since I gained so much weight after having my babies I decided to use the $$ towards the lap band instead.

There are days when the food will get stuck or I'll be slimming and thinking to myself 'why did I do this to myself' but now that I'm squeezing into a size 10...it's the best thing I ever did for myself.