Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Lapband

I just got mey lapband on the 10/29/08. Lots of painful belching. My secret is I am a compulsive overeating. Family leaves house and I want to eat eat eat. My dietian is great while she is near but she's not. I am seeing a therapist and hope i can figure out how to get a handle on this. I am afraid that i may be eating too much. I 'm scared of slippage of the band and i won't even now about it. I have ALOT of bruising but little pain. The chat rooms seem to be too impersonal and they have their own conversations going on. This is suppose to be a life change for me but my husband is so insensitive and my eigth yo daughter is really following her father's lead. My mom is my best hope and is also very morbidly obese. I scared that I will fail this. I 'm not sure who I am talking to but I hope you can help. I don't feel the hopeless like suicide but I can't seem to keep my head up for long periods of time. Appt for therapist is 5th of November.

I understand the compulsive overeating. I did/do the same thing, though it has gotten a lot better with the band. But you have someone that can really help you - your therapist! He/she will help you uncover the reasons why you want to overeat. You might be trying to fill a void in your life or something else. I don't know you but i can speak from my experience only, and that is what I think I try to do when I overeat: fill a void. Good luck and please don't give up. We all have good days and bad days with our band; just take one day at a time. Use affirmations, positive talk, get on the computer and use this site, just do something to help you get out of the rut. Call your physician/nurse/PA/NP or someone from the office if you are having problems. They can reassure you or ask you to come in to be assessed for a potential problem.

hey, i need to get a therapist to help with my addiction to food...i am trying to find some kind of hobby that will distract me from food...my band is fairly new as well, banded october 16th. i have been eating stuff like broccoli cheese Soup, spinach soup, chicken salad, or one of my smart one meals blended in my magic bullet. i have had 2 scrambled eggs for Breakfast, or grits...but i have eaten more than the 4oz...with no problem...now i do get to a point that i have a dicomfort, or tightness in my chest if i eat way too much, and have learned not to do that...but i am terrified that eating more than the 4 oz will cause, my band to slip and cause my pouch to stretch...so i am going back to trying to only do 4 oz but more than 3 meals a day, going to try 5-6 small meals and see how that does. i have not lost anything after surgery, all before on liquid diet. my friend had this done 2 years ago, lost over 100 pounds, she says after your 3-4th fill you will do really well on weight loss and actually have restriction. she says we dont have restriction right now, but that she stuck to the 4 oz 5-6 times a day because it prepares you for when you do have restriction...so i am trying, but its hard, because i would not have had this surgery if i was good at will power, i need the restriction to prevent me from eating too much. and probably a therapist to help me as well...