Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Allergan band v Johnson and Johnson

Hi Im due to be banded mid Dec , my surgeaon has used both Allergan and J&J band and has no preferance, he has given me info on both and website info and said decision is ultimatly mine. Anyone have any input right now Im leaning towards the J&J but havnt made a final decision

You will find as much passion offered with answers to your question as we will see on election day!

I am being banded with the Realize band tomorrow - Nov 3rd!!! My surgeon prefers it to the LapBand because it is a slightly wider than the Allergan band, which in his opinion may mean less risk for slippage (although he is quick to point out that there is no clinical trial on that comparison yet), and the way the port attaches means about 10 minutes less time under anesthesia for me, and a much easier process for him.

Otherwise he says both are excellent choices. The Realize band does have a set of webtools that as a patient you can use, but for me that was not a factor in chosing the Realize band.

You can search this site and get dozens of threads on the subject. My advice... trust your surgeon

I personally am going with the Realize on the 12th. My surgeon didn't really say one is better than the other. The reason I am going with the Realize is for one it is a surgery that will take 10-15 minutes less and the port is slightly smaller with less metal. Because there is no real research on which is better, I went with my gut feeling on this. Also the Realize band has a great support website if that is something you are interested in. Good luck!

Thanks

I did like the literature and website better for the Realize band but dont want that to be my final decision! last weekend when I saw MD he told me one of the bands has a port than can be replaced seperatly instead of the whole band in case of problem but I dont remember which one he said. Ialso know the Realize has been used for many years in Europe as the Swedish band so that reassures me somewhat