Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling hungry

How much do they usually put in for the first fill I was banded june 9th I am going July 19th for a fill just these last couple days I am getting hungry i am on regular food now but I think the swelling from the operation has probably gone down and now the hunger is setting in I have been pretty good though up to now have lost 23 pounds just when there is more to choose from on the solid diet you tend to eat more I think any advice thanks.

Hi flower,

I'm not sure if there is a 'usual' amount for the first fill. From what my doctor told me, it pretty much depends on the doctor and the situation. That said, my first fill was 1.0ml, then after that, every visit was only 0.2ml, until we reached restriction. He saw when I was starting to get frustrated, from not reaching restriction yet, and allowed me to come in once a week for fills.

Twenty-three pounds in just over a month is amazing! Congrats :)

Hi flower-

I too was banded on June 9 and I have never felt restriction. I have a hard time ever feeling full (or just not hungry). I have to use a lot of discipline to stop myself from eating too much because I don't reach that point of satiation. My doc won't see me again until July 27 and even then I don't know if he'll give me a fill. I keep a journal on everything I eat (time of day, what I eat, and the calories I consume) and that's how I control myelf. I have been holding myself to around 700 - 900 calories, I walk about 3 miles in 50 minutes at least 5 times a week and I still have only lost 13 lbs. At least you are seeing results!!! I'm starting to feel like I wasted my money because I just can't imagine doing any better than I'm doing without starving myself completely!! Let me know how you feel after your first fill.

Tricia

I am a post op patient. My operation was July 5, 05. I am on full liquids. unlike the messages I have read here, I do not feel hungry. I find myself constantly worried that I am eating too much. I do not want to over fill the pouch or dislodge the band. I am eating 3 meals per day. 3/4 cup cream wheat (am.) protien drink (noon) and strained Soup 3/4 cup at dinner. I also drink through out the day. I do not feel hungry (yet) I am however having terrible gas pains that make it hard to even take a deep breath. Is this normal? Am I eating too much? is a quarter cup of Jello too much? I can not eat pudding even though Dr. said I could. It feels very heavy. When does the gas pain go away? I am walking short distances 2-3 times a day also. I have not seen any major change in my weight yet. 3 lbs. could someone give me some feedback please? I would appreciate it greatly.

I walk about 3 miles in 50 minutes at least 5 times a week and I still have only lost 13 lbs.

Sweetie.....13 lbs in one months is a really, really, really good loss! Don't dispair. Your body is going through a major change here in how you eat and also losing that much weight so sometimes it wants to hang on a bit. And like leatha_g said, up your calories a bit. It might help the body not be in starvation mode.

Thanks Leatha and Karen!! I asked my doctor how many calories I should be consuming a day and told him what my journal said I was eating and he told me that was fine. I guess I get a little impatient sometimes. I am losing, just not as fast as some of the other June Bandsters. I will increase my calories to 1000 at least and maybe that will help jump start my metabolism. The support I have found here has been my lifesaver!!! Thanks again.............

Tricia

I was banded June 7. I have been on solids for almost two weeks. I had a little binge today--ice cream. I know I should not be eating ice cream. I just got in that zone where I was hungry and my unhealthy mind won the battle. I had a lot of ice cream. The good news is that I have done really well for 5 months. I can't wait to be filled. I know this is normal...as far as not being restricted but it s*cks.

Can't wait for my first fill!

Thanks for letting my hijack for my confessional.

TOmorrow is a new day.