Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I will try this again. I have done this twice, hit submit and received a "blank" done page. Where did they go? You'll will probably find them in the middle of a thread where they don't belong.....sorry.

I have been using this site for research for several months. It is undoubtedly the best site I can find. I finally got brave last weekend and registered and even posted. I have really enjoyed looking at you'lls pictures and being able to put a face with a name. So, I got really brave and posted a picture too. I will probably loose my courage this weekend and take it down. With the exception of my husband I haven't told anyone and don't plan on it. At least not until after it is done.

I am planning to go to Monterrey, Mexico. I am still trying to make a final decision on a surgeon. I am considering either Dr. Sanchez or Dr. Rodriguez. Feedback on either or others (surgeons) would be appreciated. I think I have finally nailed down some dates so I need to decide on the surgeon. My husband is still trying to talk me into having it done here, but I keep telling him if I am going to put down that much cash I had better either be able to live in it or drive it.

One of the things I have been looking at is the amount of time I should be off work. The longest time frame I can get my calendar cleared is 9 days and I can wait another 2 days before I have to travel again. From what I have been able to determine this should be sufficient. Any feedback on recovery time would also be appreciated. I have already committed myself so I must be back on my feet and ready to go within the 11 days. My only other choice would be to postpone the surgery.

My other concern is the fills. I am a freak when it comes to needles. I hate them, it is a mental thing but I can't help it. I won't even go to the Dr. if I even think there is a possibility that they will give me a shot or take my blood. However, I do understand that I will have to have fills and needles will be involved. I am going to do this so I will just have to arrive two hours before my fill appointment so I can have plenty of time to drive around the block a hundred times and find my courage. So tell me, how bad is it? Is it a big needle or just a little needle? I wish my dentist could do my fills so I could at least have the gas.

Thanks everyone for making this an awesome site! You have already been a great support team.

Barbara

Where is the spell check button???? Oh no, don't tell me there isn't one, it has to be here somewhere. I can't send e-mail or post without spell check.

I had the same thought about the spell check button.

Recovery time--every one varies. For me three days was all I needed. I had mine done on a Tuesday and by the weekend I was mall walking and taking my puppies out. It really varies though I have not heard of anyone who needed over two weeks.

I know your fears about posting. It can be such a big step. I applaud you for taking that step. It really can be so theraputic. And everyone here is great. I just posted my picture/avatar this week and I felt like I had done soemthing really big.

As far as going to Mexico. It is what I did also. I just did not want to go into debt of 20,000. I went to Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. You will find several threads about him under doctors portion. There are many pros and cons to going to Mexico. For me, I think it was the right decision; however, everything went really smooth for me. I am happy to answer your questions about surgery in Mexico. There are down sides though...you will find may of them in doing research on this site.

I am almost 5 weeks out and everything is going smoothly. I am a little bummed that I have not lost more but 15 pounds is really good and I would have been thrilled if I did that without surgery. I know I need a fill and am looking forward to getting one 6 weeks out. Actually, it will likely be more like 8 weeks out. Work is fairly unpredictable right now.

Anyways, good luck in all your research and feel free to pm me with any questions I can anwser for you.

I probably misspelled something! Please ignore.

Lindsay

Hi Barb,

First, welcome to this site, and congratulations on your decision to get banded. I was banded just over 3 months ago by Dr. Rodriguez in Monterrey. I went to the San Pedro clinic instead of the large hospital because it was more affordable for me. (it's not really a clinic-just a smaller hospital facility) I am completely satisfied with my decision. Dr. Rod's team is fantastic. I have emailed him directly with a few questions post op, and always received a prompt response. They have a group on Yahoo for Dr. Rod's patients, and I think once a week one of his patients who is a personal trainer is available online to chat. Overall, my care was great, and the support has been phenomenal. I get my followup care in Seattle, but I am going to stop by Monterrey during my vacation to Mexico City in Janusry.

While in Monterrey, I knew that I was in good hands. My mom travelled with me, and Dr. Rod even went out of his way to bring her lunch and dinner the night that we spent in the hospital. I'm looking forward to going to Dallas in November to Dr. Rod's patient reunion. I think it's just in the beginning stages of planning now, but I've marked my calendar.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me. I hope this helps you with your decision.

Oh, and for spell check, I usually copy and paste the text into Word, or something that does have spell check.

banana.gif