Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flu Shots

Has anyone had any trouble with thowing up and band slippage? I had my flu shot and got sick big time. I am afraid that thing are not where they should be. Any advise?

You should call your doctor on Monday. I have never known the flu shot to cause vomiting, and the CDC doesn't list it as a side effect of the flu shot. The "flu" the shot combats doesn't have nausea/vomiting as a side effect, either. So I'm wondering why you vomited and thinking you might have a stomach bug ... If the flu shot DID make you vomit the doc needs to know about it because that is an idiosyncratic reaction.

And about your band....it's probably ok but let your surgeon know.

RestlessMonkey, I love your ticker. LOL

Also, I agree with RM. The flu shot CANNOT make you sick, it is not a live virus. Even if it could, it would be upper respitory, not stomach.

Maybe just mention the throwing up to your doc.

i worked in a nursing home for 20 years and some employees and patients would get sick from the shot. so its normal to vomit from them. its normally advised to get one again. some ppl just cant handle getting them. hope u feel better

i worked in a nursing home for 20 years and some employees and patients would get sick from the shot. so its normal to vomit from them. its normally advised to get one again. some ppl just cant handle getting them. hope u feel better

Jewels41 I'm sure you are correct since you worked in a nursing home for 20 years and I'm just an RN student...Would you mind explaining to me how a shot (that is IM...into the muscle, bypassing the stomach altogether) can 1. make you vomit (unless it's just a psychosomatic reaction to the "thought" of getting a shot) and 2. require that you get ANOTHER shot? I've honestly never heard of such a thing (including when I participated in a flu clinic last year...all the patient teaching they had us do etc)...so if/when I encounter this out in the "real world" I'd like to know WHY, so I can educate my patients. Would you share, please? I've tried to figure out why and it just makes no sense to me! Thank you! :D

not an RN, however i DID have a flu shot last monday, at hubby's urging due to some international travel we have in the next few months.

i GOT sick - tummy sick, not made up sick - running to the loo every 5 minutes SICK. my lapband dr called in for anti nausea meds immediately, and though i didn't "puke" - i was down for 5 days hard with what i would say is the flu & i hadn't been sick in yrs.

i'm reminded of the line from devil wears prada - "i'm one stomach flu away from my goal weight"....i did lose 6lbs - but haven't had a problem the last day or 2 working back up...

odd - just odd. i'll never get a shot again, that's for sure.

:eek:Well, now that I have scared everyone away from getting their flu shot I find out there is a stomach bug making the rounds around here. Sorry about that, I hope you will get your flu shot if you need it!! I did live and feel much better now LOL. Hope the bug doesn't make to where you live. It is nasty!!:tongue:

Thanks for posting and glad you feel better. I read EVERY WORD the CDC had about flu shots and except for people with an egg allergy maybe getting a rash I couldn't find anything at ALL about nausea/vomiting with the flu shot. Because the antiviral is FOR the flu, (upper respiratory, not stomach...there is no "stomach flu" although people say that!) it shouldn't give you tummy trouble unless you have an idiosyncratic reaction. I was about to do more research! Whew! Glad you're doing better, anyway!

:eek:Well, now that I have scared everyone away from getting their flu shot I find out there is a stomach bug making the rounds around here. Sorry about that, I hope you will get your flu shot if you need it!! I did live and feel much better now LOL. Hope the bug doesn't make to where you live. It is nasty!!:tongue:

:tongue: hubby says the same thing - that i more than likely picked up a bug in the dr's office. still won't get a flu shot again, - however i think it's a good idea to have anti nausea meds on hand at all times,

RestlessMonkey, you're right again! There is no stomach flu, just stomach virus which has nothing to do with the flu shot.

I'm glad you guys are feeling better.