Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

awful pressure pain... what is it?

hi all. i've had my band since 02/08 and have had this issue for a while now. I will wake up in the middle of the night with a terrible pressure pain which feels like is around my band. i break out into a cold sweat and have to walk around to tolerate the pain. after describing these symptoms to my mom she said they were very similar to her gallbladder pain back in the day befire she had surgery to remove it. i saw the p.a. at the aftercare clinic and they did and x ray of my band and decided it was properly placed and not too tight. the p.a. took out some Fluid from my band to loosen it to see if maybe it is just trapped gas causing the pains. otherwise they are not sure what, if anything, the band is doing. however i have had 2 episodes since then 1 week ago. what is going on? i can't be the only one ever having experienced this? it makes me want to consider having the band removed because i can't live like this. someone please help? any advice?

Would probably be a good idea to go back to your doc and insist on further testing. Maybe a gallbladder ultrasound and function test? Doesn't sound normal to me.

I haven't been banded yet, but that sounds like gall bladder. I had some horrible attacks a few weeks ago and felt the same way. My surgeon ordered an ultrasound since I was scheduled for Lap Band surgery on Nov 13th. I'm now having my gall bladder out that day and my Lap Band on Dec 18th.

You might want to have your doc do an ultrasound.

Hi I must admit the symptoms you are describing do sound a bit like Gall stones - I suffered for 20 years with them and an attack was usually brought on by me eating rich food (fatty) after being relatively fat free for a while. Try laying off the fats and see if it improves, but it will need diagnosing so it can be treated. It just takes an ultrasound.

I eventually had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago after a bad attack saw me in hospital for 8 days over the new year period. My band surgeon did the surgery for me - he ould also check that my band was ok whilst in there!!! The result has been great....no side effects and the size of the gallstone causing me the trouble was the size of a walnut - it is huge (yes I still have it in a jar!!!)

Hope you get it sorted....good luck

Sounds an awful lot like gallbladder probs to me. I was banded 9/15 and have lost about 30 pounds since starting my pre op diet on labor day. About 3-4 weeks after banding I started having similar problems. Also havin nausea every day. The nausea was always several hours after eating so I didn't really think it was from the band, but every time I would start heaving I was afraid my band was going to slip. They tried unfilling my band as well, but that didn't help. Finally got an ultrasound of my gallbaldder, and now I am at home recovering from gallbladder removal on 10/31. I feel GREAT and not having any more pain (other than slight normal post-op pain---which is not as bad as the pain post lap-band surgery by the way) Apparently about 1 in 3 people who have rapidly lost weight like this will have galbladder issues. More so in women and people over 40. Good luck!! (PS During severe attack try sitting in a tub of very hot Water. This nearly saved my life some nights when the pain was so bad I literally couldn't breathe.):biggrin:

Im having that type of problem tonight. It has been for a couple of days now. I have a Dr appt with my GP tomorrow. I had labs drawn a couple weeks ago that looked okay and my CT Scan didn't show any stones. This has happed 3 times since 02/08. Pretty severe pain radiating into my mid-back section, right side. Worse when I lay down. I'm sorry you are hurting too, but you eased my mind a bit knowing I'm not alone here. Can't really find a pattern to any foods during these three episodes though. I'm tired and hurting too. Hopefully tomorrow the Dr. will have some helpful ideas. Call your Dr. Good Luck and hang in there!

Just to let you know...I did see my GP and even though my labs looked good and my CTScan was clear, the ultrasound of my gallbladder showed a couple stones and inflammation. Looks like it will be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

Sometimes you have to keep asking the same questions to get where you need to be...