Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To weigh or not to wiegh?

Do all of you weigh yourself once a week? Maybe this is bad or maybe not I don't know, but I wait until I'm at the doctor's office once a month to weigh because I thought maybe it would help me not focus on the actual pounds so much. What do you guys think?

I think it depends upon the person. I know folks that much prefer once monthly, or each physician's visit. I really like the weekly Friday weigh-ins, as they help me to keep myself accountable. I've done daily before, but that really is too often for me. On the other hand, some folks actually prefer a daily weigh-in.

The August 2008 bandsters have a couple folks that only post to the the Friday weigh-ins once a month.

Just a matter of choice &/or preference. Good luck to you!

I do the Friday weigh in only, and that is just so I can post on the weigh-in thread. I've never been a daily, since weight fluctuates SO much from day to day. I wish I had the ability to wait until office visits, but I think that I need the weeklies right now in order to keep me from gaining more than I already do sometimes.

I weigh daily but I don't beat myself up if I'm up a bit cause I know there is always going to be a little day by day flucuation, but I like the daily cause I like seeing it inch down little by little.

I get on the scale every morning before I shower. I have to have the numbers staring me in the face to keep going! I know that they will fluctuate from day to day, but I try to keep myself motivated by making sure the scale isn't moving in the wrong direction.

I wish I could way once a month, but I know myself too well, the scale could start creeping up ever so slowly. I am afraid it would get away from me too quickly.

I weigh usually every day...I can't stop myself :blush: But I only take note of my once a week weigh in! I am not one to stress overly on my weight loss, yeah I can get frustrated, but I know this is going to take a while especially with little or no restriction so I don't beat myself up over it! And if I make bad choices I don't kick myself continuously over it. Here in Australia most of the docs say eat a sensible well balanced diet, and if you eat something unhealthy that is ok just don't do it all the time! Everything in moderation. My doc says he doesn't want you to feel like this is a diet!

I think it is a personal choice as far as weighing in goes and you should do what you are comfortable with, don't feel pressure to do something because others are!

I weigh every morning as I like the accountability of it. However, it does get frustrating sometimes. These last two weeks I have gained and lost the same 2 pounds. Sometimes I think I should only weigh once a week, but that scale has its magic powers on me and I can't not weigh in. I know we all hit plateaus and I am trying not to worry about it. I go to the Dr on the 11th and hopefully will have my first fill. When I look at the over all picture, I am doing great. 46 pounds in 4 months is not a bad thing, so I remind myself to be patient. It will take time.

I weigh myself every morning too (also can't help myself) but on the first of every month I record my weight for that day and take measurements. That way in my records I can see how much I've lost over the course of a month, which means I don't stress as much over the daily fluctuations anymore.

Lellow~ I have been trying to measure 1x a month. I think that is a real indicator of how you are doing. Sometimes the tape measure shows more success than the pounds!

I weigh daily BUT it's only official on Fridays for our weigh-in thread. In all honesty, I'm just plain curious. I expect fluctuations AND I retain Water really easy and tend to bloat so I can actually fluctuate a couple of lbs day to day. That just happened today in fact. Yesterday AM was 195.something (that's how much I actually pay attention), at the surgeon's office yesterday afternoon was 196 then this AM was 193.someting! Could make you crazy if you let it. :biggrin:

I weigh daily BUT it's only official on Fridays for our weigh-in thread.

same here, unless hubby hides the scale from me.

since we were both banded together - we have spreadsheet on the fridge (LOL) with the scale underneath it. both of those are annoying reminders to grab a healthy snack/drink - on days i just want some chips & queso..ha,

friday is our official weigh in day - but if i weighed less on wed vs friday, i cheated and picked that number:eek:

I usually get on the scale every morning. For me, it works both ways. If it is up a little bit, it motivates me to behave myself. If it is down a little bit, it feels great and I want it to continue. If I don't get on the scale everyday, things get away from me really fast.

friday is our official weigh in day - but if i weighed less on wed vs friday, i cheated and picked that number:eek:

lu, that's funny! I'm so scatter-brained lately that I can hardly remember what the scale said this AM, let alone 2 days ago!

And the scale in front of the fridge would drive me nuts! I'd be constantly tripping over it in our kitchen (it's on the way to the kitchen door)! And my 2 1/2yr old would have a field day!

I try not to weigh myself every day but I do sometimes. If I am feeling not good about the weight loss I will only do it on Friday. I was at a plateau for 2 weeks fluctuating between 190 and 188 drove me crazy, I finally hit 184.4 and feel good this week, I had a fill, I won't weight myself till next Friday. I want to be 180 by next Friday. And 170 by Christmas.