Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you spend the night

my doc has people stay overnight...and glad I did...because they took care of everything...kept me stocked with ice chips, no vomit meds every few hours, and the pain meds were on a steady drip! LOL! Really great choice for me... I think the DH was a little scared to have me home right away... Good luck to ya!:)

Apparently my doc only requires that you stay overnight if you have sleep apnea, which I don't. So I should be home by early afternoon. Now after reading all this I wish I was spending the night. lol

My surgeon keeps all of his band patients overnight. I am glad, because I was so sore and the pain meds through the IV were very welcomed. I just felt more prepared to deal with everything at home after having spent the night.

MustangGirl: This brings up an interesting question to me (4 hours to 23 hours is considered a outpatient procedure). When the doctor says you can go home in four hours can you ask to stay 23 hours? Just because you don’t fell like your ready to go home the cost is the same?

MustangGirl: This brings up an interesting question to me (4 hours to 23 hours is considered a outpatient procedure). When the doctor says you can go home in four hours can you ask to stay 23 hours? Just because you don’t fell like your ready to go home the cost is the same?

That completely depends on your insurance.

Personally, I believe in staying in the hospital. As fat folks we have more risk for complications. We need the supervision.

My surgeon requires an overnight stay.

I was banded at 11 am yesterday and went home at 7:30 pm that same night.

I had the option to stay overnight, but decided to go home because I was actually feeling pretty good, and my wife is also a physician, so I knew I'd be in better hands. :rolleyes2:

Besides, there's just something about sleeping in your own bed... For me, it's easier to relax and rest.

I have Tricare Prime(South) and they require you to stay the night or they will not pay. So it sounds like I will be staying the night.

I work in the ER and don't deal with billing and patient stays, but I would guess that from a billing perspective 4 hours would be the same as 23 hours. Of course the extra medications and treatments you would receive during that time would raise the total cost. I also think that any time you don't feel ready to go home it should be discussed with your physician. Things like pain and nausea should be under control before you leave.

I work in the ER and don't deal with billing and patient stays, but I would guess that from a billing perspective 4 hours would be the same as 23 hours. Of course the extra medications and treatments you would receive during that time would raise the total cost. I also think that any time you don't feel ready to go home it should be discussed with your physician. Things like pain and nausea should be under control before you leave.

Hi: Thanks for you thoughts. After I first asked you the question. I thought how silly of me have a Daughter that works in a local Hospital in the billing Department. You hit the nail on the head Hospital cost is the same 4 hours or 23 but medications and treatments would be extra, but if you do receive those then you needed to stay anyway. I had my preop class today asked the question and told not a problem just let them know.