Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some encouragement!

Ok let me start off I haven't been on here in a LONG time! I had my surgery on August 26th and haven't reall been on here since. I was pretty much a lurker before that, but have posted a few times.

Things were easy right after surgery for me and I guess I thought I could do it myself, but now I am totally discouraged. I went to the doctor today and had my second fill and I'm only down 11 pounds total! In 2 months I went from 219 to 207 and over the last month I only lost 1 pound.

I lost my will power and have been eating everything I can get down. I feel bad about it and I know I can pick right back up, but I need a few ideas to get me going. I need a free online food journal and some tips and ideas. And just some people to talk to through out the day! Hopefully, I can get back on track and not feel so discouraged. Thanks

Hi Emily,

I know your struggle! I had surgery May 21, 2008 and have only lost 16 pounds...I wanted to give up as well. But my wonderful husband reminded me that this is the SLOW way to get it done. Your band does not actually work until there is sufficent restriction, that is what your fills are about...keep getting those fills until you feel some restriction. I had my 4th fill last week and I am feeling better and I lost 3 pounds since, but I am still not quite there yet. So I will continue to exercise & eat well until I have another fill. I hope this helps and there is a name for what your going through its called BANDSTER HELL...

I wish you only the very best with your journey!

Thanks I have 4.5 ccs in now and I still don't feel a whole lot of restriction but I'll make it. I've just been feeling a defeated. I go fo another fill in about 3 weeks hopefully that gives me good restriction

My doctor said to expect about a pound a week, two at the most which surprised me but he's right, any faster increases the risk of it coming back on. It's hard to watch it go at a snail's pace but try this, next time you are at the store stack up 11 packages of butter, that's how much fat is gone from your body! That's a big stack of butter! I know how you feel, I struggled a lot until my third fill and now and I've only lost 18 pounds since my band on 8/12. But now I'm finally at the spot where I have the right restriction and I don't have to rely on my will power so much and it's much easier. You can do it, don't beat yourself up for moving slowly!

My doctor said to expect about a pound a week, two at the most which surprised me but he's right, any faster increases the risk of it coming back on. It's hard to watch it go at a snail's pace but try this, next time you are at the store stack up 11 packages of butter, that's how much fat is gone from your body! That's a big stack of butter! I know how you feel, I struggled a lot until my third fill and now and I've only lost 18 pounds since my band on 8/12. But now I'm finally at the spot where I have the right restriction and I don't have to rely on my will power so much and it's much easier. You can do it, don't beat yourself up for moving slowly!

Thanks! That serious helped a lot I never thought to think of a pound that way. I am feeling better today a little I had my second fill yesterday and I'm starting to stay satisfied for a longer period of time which is good so we'll see I'm down from 219 to 207 so my goal is to be under 200 by my next fill appointment on 11/20/2008!

Emily stick with it! Remember that you did not gain all the weight over night. You chose the band to help you get your weight and eating under control. Make sure you are taking it one day at a time. Don't beat yourself up if you stray from the path, you are human and you will make bad choices occasionally, but that is how we learn!

You have lost 11 lbs that you will not have to lose again - that is a great thing!

I am only loosing about 5-6 pounds a month so far. I just got my 3rd fill and just finally have restriction. I now have to learn how to chew alot and eat very slow. Tonight will be my second day of eating real food since the fill. It didnt go to well yesterday pb'd cause i ate to fast and didnt chew enough. Hang in there.

Emily,

I hear you! I have lost a total of 16 pounds, and only three since my first fill apparently. I thought I would be doing better, but my nurses and doctors assure me it is just because I do not have sufficient restriction yet. I'm eating less than with no band, but more than 1/2 cup at a meal. I have to say that once I am sated, I stay comfortable and not ravenous between meals and can go at least 3 hours without a problem on average - often more.

I am also exercising regularly. I re-joined my gym almost four weeks ago and have gone at least twice a week since (and am LOVING it - go figure). That may account for another pound or two that might've shown as weight loss since I am converting over some fat into lean muscle (yay lean muscle!).

Anyway, the nurse assured me, and I want to pass this along to you, that it may take several fills to find your sweet spot, but you will definitely find it, and it will work. She told me not to judge myself by how well others here are doing and how much more they've lost. It is their body and metabolism versus mine. If in a year from now I am at or near my goal, then I've done well.

I think if you look at the long haul versus the steps it takes to get there, it may help. This is a process, and processes take time.

I'm here for you if you want to commiserate with someone else who is losing the weight slowly.

(my ticker is not up to date - I get another fill tomorrow & will update it then)

I'm so grateful to hear all of this. I thought that maybe my band wasn't working the right way, because I can still eat pretty good portions.

My doctor didn't explain the restriction stuff to me... now it all makes sense. Will power alone will only get me so far.

I have lost about 25lbs from surgery, which I'm happy for, but I feel like I've hit a plateau!

I'm trying to be happy about slow weight loss too, but it's really hard. I've had 2 fills so far and it seems like the 'sweet spot' is lasting about 2 weeks, and I think I'm gaining weight during the next 2 weeks before my dr. lets me come back in for the next fill. This time I asked to reschedule my appt. due to thanksgiving (my appt.was on the 21), so I'm getting in a little bit earlier. I'm sure the three lbs I've lost can be found really easily if I'm not careful. But one lb. a week is really good. Remember what it was like to try to lose that 1 lb. before the help of the lab band!?

Hey ABRENNER, I have relatives in Bethlaham, Pa.!

Glad that helped Barburitto!! I was going to post something similar on the other thread you started.

Like Abrenner said, it will take people different amounts of time to get to your 'sweet spot' some reach it quicker than others, it just depends on the person. Also making good choices of food is key in that you should aim for food that is nutritionally going to give you the best outcome and also that is not going to just slip through the band!

You will also find that you will plateau throughout your weightloss, especially as your BMI lowers. I plateaued for 4 weeks (from week 4-week 8). The weight is coming off now but slowly. You need to get your head around that fact that you may lose weight slowly and that can be hard. I am sure we would all love this to be a quick fix but alas it is not to be! Also don't get discouraged by other people's weight loss, they may be doing more exercise, have a higher BMI or just be lucky and lose easily! and don't compare with guys because they generally lose more quickly than girls!

My first fill enabled me to last a bit longer between meals but I could still eat a bit before I felt full...2nd fill today so we'll see what happens :thumbup:

My doc isn't a worrier, they said that until you reach that sweet spot any weight loss is a bonus! :laugh:

I lost about 1.5kgs (3.3 pounds) in the past 3 weeks since my first fill :w00t: In the past if I lost that much in that period of time when dieting I would be disappointed but I have changed my outlook and am trying to be more positive!

I to have hit a plateau but just hang in there. it will come. they say slow and steady wins the race. Maybe it would be a good idea to change up your routine a little, How much exercise are you getting? and is your calorie intake to low? I found out the hard way that that can be just as bad as to much calories.

i'm so glad that i come here! sharing with you all gives me the determination to keep going. i've only had one fill since surgery on august 5th and i guess it's going ok. slow and steady wins the race!!

i'm so glad that i come here! sharing with you all gives me the determination to keep going. i've only had one fill since surgery on august 5th and i guess it's going ok. slow and steady wins the race!!
Your doing great! Do you have any restriction with the one fill?

thanks! sometimes i do feel some restriction and other times i don't. the mornings seem to be the worst. i'm usually up by 6:30 am and i can only drink my coffee...even that i feel going down. but by lunch i'm usually ok to eat. my doc says that this is normal and that a lot of people say their band feels tighter in the morning. who knows. i think i'm just going to try and keep myself in check through thanksgiving and then see about getting a fill at the beginning of december.