Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not What I Expected

Hello everyone

I have just read alot of posts of people getting there LapBand removed and I want to add my reasons why I had my removed. First I want to say my doctor did a great job putting in the LapBand no problem there. The first six weeks I lost 25 lbs. I followed the diet plan however, I was having problems with the LapBand around eight weeks when I was told to change my diet to regular solid foods. The foods on the diet plan however, when I started eating it would get clogged and I would have to drink something hot to melt it down or make myself throw up. So I thought maybe I should eat slower or the bites are to big. So I changed it. Smaller then feeding a baby with a spoon. It took me one and half hours to eat a small plate of food. Okay I went to the doctor and he took out some fluids. Same thing happened. One day I was eating dinner and I was so sick, I became light headed and and almost passed out. I was admitted in the hospital for a week (twice). My blood pressure was to low. The doctor came and removed the rest of the fluids from the LapBand and told me to wait a few weeks and come in the office and get a adjustment he gave me a very small amount and the same thing happened a few months later (twice). This don't have anything to do about educating myself about LapBand or doing research (which I did before I had it done) it was not comfortable for me. And by the way I read all the sucess stories and the complications stories on this site too. It did not give me the results I expected. I do not want to adjust my life style to taking hours to complete a meal. I have a family and a job and my whole day should not be consumed with eating a meal. It felt uncomfortable having it inside to. It took me over a year before I could lay on my stomach to sleep. Because I had to eat Yes I had to have sauces on meal so it would go down. Even having all the fluids out. Therefore, I gain weight. The regular people here who are having sucess with the LapBand can sit back and judge you because then are losing weight. Typical. But unless you are in my shoes and know how it feels to be sick with it in you, you cant judge me. Just like it is rude to judge fat people and call them lazy, because that is completely untrue. I am having it removed and I am going for another procedure that makes you FEEL FULL not like a clogged sink all the time. Good luck to the people losing weight with the LapBand it works for you. But, if you was not okay with the LapBand and had it removed, you are not alone. Next time I post it will because I was sucessful and had it removed this friday 10//31/2008. God Bless:thumbup:

Edited by directedbyhp
not finish typing

Hi:smile:

Gosh your thread was just like i had written it !!!!

I am havin mine removed on14/11/08 carnt wait but interested in your other procedure is it a gastric ballon ?:biggrin:

Good luck tomorrow keep intouch not meet anyone who has had a band removed:thumbup:

Loo x

Good Luck to both of you.

I think not every procedure works for everyone, no matter how much research etc you do. A friend of mine had a chin implant a few years ago, her body rejected it, and she was in constant pain until she had it removed.

Good for you for recognizing that the LapBand is not the right "fit" for your body.

My surgeon just started doing the gastric balloon earlier this year. If that is what you are getting, I am sure there are lots of us who will be following your story.

Good luck to both of you. I had mine removed the first week of October and feel so much better now and healthier. I eat healthier and have almost lost all the weight I gained on the lap band.

Even when the doctor took out all my fill I was still too tight and was still vomiting days prior to the removal. I don't know if there's a perfect way to describe how the band feels to people prior to surgery. My main issue was the fact that many food still went through the band and didn't know that until after I was banded so I felt kind of ripped off.

Now I don't compensate for the lack of healthy food with crappy food (sliders)/soft foods that went through the band without pain and vomiting and it's made a world of difference for me. It also taught me to listen to my own body and for me personally I will not revise to any other surgery because I only wanted to lose 25 more pounds after surgery. Not that I was a lower bmi'er but I just wanted to be a good weight for "me". Naturally gaining back the 25 lbs after surgery made that more than 25 pounds but that's ok because like I said before I've gotten to know my body better now and when I don't think "I'm dieting" I don't over indulge and eat normally for me, except when I'm pms'g!

Anyway good luck, the removal surgery was much easier for me than getting it but I didn't get a revision afterwards either which would make recovery longer. Take care Nancy:smile:

I too will have to have my band removed--the date hasn't been scheduled but I have an appt. tomorrow to discuss my options. I also had good results in the beginning however after the 8th month started having complications. I have had several o/p tests with all of them coming back within "normal limits"-I cannot eat anything substantial so I am also now gaining weight. I wish you luck on whichever procedure you have and look forward to hearing about your outcome.

Same story with me....I've had 3 barium swallows which have all come back normal. I'm now scheduled for a "barium meal"....which will consist of scrambled eggs with barium poured over them. Doesnt that sound like fun???? Depending on the results of that test, my choices will be to remove the band, fix the band, or convert to bypass. I whish I knew which way to turn.

Peggy

Preface is..There's nothing to judge in your story, you're not out to cause a fear-mongering based off of random (questionable) information that lacks specific details.

I'm sorry the band didn't work out for you, and unfortunately it just doesn't work for all. Good luck with your surgery today and I hope you get relief!

I wish you all success, peace and happiness. But for the Grace of God there go I". My band so far, and I say so far because I know that at any time, I could start with complications and have to have mine removed also. Everyone is different and reacts to things differently. Some people have their bands in for a long time and some don't. Keep in touch with us and let us know how you all are doing. You're all still family here.