Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tummy tucks & tri care prime

Does anyone have any info or experience with reconstructive surgery (Tummy Tucks & Breast Reduction) and Tri Care? I am only 3 months and 37 lbs down, but it is becoming pretty obvious that a Tummy Tuck will be in order down the road and breast reduction would sure make exercising easier on my back. I am curious if they have certain requirements to qualify like they do for the lap band.

Thanks for your input!!:w00t:

Kristin

banded 29 July 08

:w00t:

I don't have any first-hand knowledge, but my friend fought them for 9 years. From what I understand, there has to be a proven medical necessity (such as rashes, etc) and they are still pretty rough to get approval from.

I'd love to hear more input though, as I know I will need one as well.

Does anyone have any info or experience with reconstructive surgery (Tummy Tucks & Breast Reduction) and Tri Care? I am only 3 months and 37 lbs down, but it is becoming pretty obvious that a Tummy Tuck will be in order down the road and breast reduction would sure make exercising easier on my back. I am curious if they have certain requirements to qualify like they do for the lap band.

Thanks for your input!!:thumbup:

Kristin

banded 29 July 08

:)

Kristin,

I had a breast reduction done by the military 20 years ago. We were stationed in AZ and they air evaced me out to Texas to have it done. The only thing it cost me was my food, everything else was covered. I am having my banding done in Jan 09, and they have already told us that they don't do Tummy Tucks. But we could use the base and pay a fee and they will do it, cheaper than going down town. I am being banded on base, we have a Bariatric Surgeon on board.

Hey - I have been told that getting the military to pay for the Tummy Tuck and possible breast reduction or whatever can be tricky. Basically, they will cover it but you have to prove medical necessity. I was told to start early!! So as soon as you start losing weight, make sure you have the doctor note every single tiny rash, etc in your file. Make sure you start taking pictures and just saving them. So when the time comes and you have lost the weight, you have a lot of documented history and notes in your record that you have had ongoing issues with rashes, etc. That is what is going to convince them that it is beyond a cosmetic issue. And honestly, if you are losing any kind of significant weight, I think that it really IS more than a vanity issue. You have folds of skin lying against each other while traps sweat, etc. It is just basic hygiene that this is not good!! So I have already started following that advice for myself to put me in the best position when I am ready. Also, about the breast and all, a breast reduction is possible, as is a breast lift, but probably not a breast implant. That is kind of hard to argue for "necessity" - perky boobs are nice but not necessary! But for that, I have heard that you may be able to get insurance to cover a breast lift (for the same reason as the tummy tuck - the excess skin) and just pay the difference for the breast implant at the same time. Should you decide you want to go down that road....

I don't know how much of all of this is true or not, but I am getting ready and beginning to research it all - can't be too prepared!!

Congrats on your 50lb loss!!!! I need to loose about 100lbs and I already have a stomach apron from my son who just turned 34! So I have had this issue for some time but never complained. I know in the summer I get a mild rash and sweat really bad in that area, so I have to be really careful and keep things dry. That would be so awesome if the base would do it, but I am not going to count on it. My husband is very understanding and said we would take a loan to have it done if that is what I want. I have heard you should wait a year after your weight loss before having the Tummy Tuck. The boob job I had was medical reasons, my back and my shoulders were curving. They took off 6lbs. I love them now!!!!!!!! Thanks for answering.....Jan