Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kick it to the curb!!!

Hi Everyone,

I have been in total lurker mode for the last month or so. There are so many new folks posting here that I cant keep up! LOL.

Well, I havent weighed myself in over a month. First it was because I was fearful how much I gained after I quit smoking and from my recent vacation to Cancun. Now its just because I dont want the scale running my life. I used to be totally obsessed with it, weighing several times a day to see if I had lost an ounce.

I am now using my clothes as a gauge of whether I am somewhat in the same range as I was before. I am guessing that I must be somewhere close to my lowest since most of the size 14 clothes I have are still fitting me. At one point, I am sure that I was getting in the upper end of the spectrum since my pants felt a little tighter. Then I went back to 1200 calories or less a day and it seems that I am dropping the weight again. I decided as long as I fit the clothes I am wearing, stick to the bandster guidelines, I should be able to maintain my present weight. I am no longer obsessed with daily weighing, but I am cautious about what I eat.

I recently read an article in one of the womans magazines that said that daily weighers actually do better when dieting than people who dont. Whaddya think?

P.S. My PS is now scheduled for August 3rd at 7:30 am. I decided that I am not going to do the breast augmentation now and I will only do the TT and thighplasty.

Babs in TX

Several years ago we bought a brand new scale but had to keep it on the patio because our apartment was so tiny. After weighing myself every day for a week, I literally kicked the #$%@$% scale off the balcony and never looked down. When Chris went to weigh himself, he asked, "where the hell is the new scale." I walked to the balcony and pointed down, and there it lay down below, broken and useless.

I'm a daily weigher. I honestly don't think the loss or gain has anything to do with what we're gonna eat or not eat. If only weighing once a month worked, then we'd all be skinny. It's just the obsession - if the scale makes you crazy, get rid of it.

Hi Babs! Nice to see your smiling face! Missed you.

I use the clothes guage, but I also got myself a nifty little body fat % gadget. (call me gadget gurl) Once a month or so, I check my body fat %. It's slowly moving in the right direction, but I know this isn't a race.

When I weigh myself frequently, I get very depressed about the numbers. I don't own a scale, and I don't want one in my house.

Personally, I don't see how daily weighing can be truely benificial. I mean, I read it here all the time where someone 'gains 5 pounds overnight" and is understandably freaked out. Well, they didn't really gain 5 pounds overnight, probably a Water thing, but they are freaked out, and that is never a good thing.

scales lie. Lie lie lie.

I too have scale anxiety, LOL. but my problem (I know from so many diet failures) ifs that at least in size 20+ clothes, there is a good 20lbs of play. Meaning it takes about 20 lbs regardless to what fashion mags say before I am out of one size and into another. So, when I have relied on how my clothes fit, sometimes 20 or 25 pounds would sneak up before I realized it. Now add to my scale anxiety the fact that I am one of those in denial of weight gain and only look in the mirror when in favorable lighting and angles, LOL.....

So while I would love to throw the scale away, I know weekly to bi-weekly weigh ins are a neccesary evil for me. I am jealous of those of you who can maintain without that horrible thing!!!!!!

Hi Nita,

You are so right about plus size clothing having a greater amount of flexibility and them not being reliable as a weight gauge. Now in a size 14 though, I can feel the difference when I gain 3-5 pounds whereas in a size 28, you could go a long way and play mind games while the pounds creeped up on ya. I did better when I weighed everyday with weight loss, but I also got depressed when I plateaued. I have been on a plateau for a while though and my body does not seem to want to go below 180. It seems happy in the mid 180's range and it is a struggle just to keep it there.

Babs in TX

I had a scale once that much like Delarla, I smashed the @#$% out of then took it to the garbage bin for a funeral. That was about five years ago. I recently bought a new scale and find I'm just as obsessed as I ever was. It's not good.

Heck, I even try creative ways of getting on the scale to see if it makes a difference (it does).

Me too, Babs. I got down to 174, but 180 seems to be a set point right now. :( I too weight daily, for myself. It reminds me how quickly I can move up. It scares me when I see it moving too fast - Water or not. It reminds me that what I put in my mouth truly is reflected on the scale and almost immediately in my case. If I never make it back to 174, that's okay, but I seriously do not want to creep back up to the 190's or above. I just can't go back there, but it would be real easy for me to do if I wasn't watching that scale and reminding myself everyday how very easy it is..

I weigh almost every morning. Just Wednesday I decided that my 2 year bandiversary is coming up in August and I really want to be closer to goal than I am so I started a "diet". I weighed in on Wednesday at 173.8 and today weighed 171.2, I am determined to get closer to goal........but I have to weigh daily!!!!

I find in order to control my weight, I have to weigh. I try to keep it at once a week, but if I think I am gaining I will weigh more often. I give myself 5 pounds before I start worrying. I can do a Water hold that will take me those 5 pounds easy. If in a few days I haven't seen those scales move, then I know I have a problem. It is a heck of a lot easier losing those 5 pounds than 25 pounds!

i have to weigh every day ... if i dont i find myself cheating... i know it sounds strange but it works for me... i dont let myself get crazy about what it says it just keeps me in check!

Babs said---

"I recently read an article in one of the womans magazines that said that daily weighers actually do better when dieting than people who dont. Whaddya think?"

I think you hit it on the head- they do better when DIETING. THis isn't a diet, it's the rest of our lives. Weighing every day is diet mentality, if you ask me. Living life and once and awhile hoping on the scale out of curiousity sounds much more healthy to me.

It was nice to hear from you, and I'm glad that you're feeling great.

Megan

I weigh every day or every other day. I am quite obsessive about it...i thought i had lost 5 pounds and when i went to the Dr office their scale said i had only lost 3 pound..... THREE POUNDS.......3 mesely pounds!!!!! ok sorry.....so now ive had my first fill and im excited to see what my progress can be from now on.

Im in a 30/32 right now...id love to be a 16/18......ive got a ways to go

I too, am guilty of being a scale addict. Since a couple of weeks after being banded, I've tried to restrict my weigh-ins to once a week.

As weight fluctuates daily, when I'm weighing myself daily, I tend to get really down on myself if I've gone up 100 grams or so. If I've lost a bit, I might be more lenient with what I eat that day, which honestly, can be just as destructive. That said, I do want an accurate account of my weight loss through out this whole thing lol - a catch 22 I suppose.