Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who had a hiatal hernia repaired?

I have a hiatal hernia that gives me all kinds of grief from a panic feeling, PVC's, gas, beltching, and burping up food. The panic and PVC's are the 2 worst symptoms. Anyway, I have noticed that a lot of folks that have gotten the lap band surgery also had a hiatal hernia repaired in the process. My questions to you folks are:

1. Did the surgeon perform the Nissen Fundopliction surgery for the hernia repair? (this is where they fix the hole in the diaphram and wrap the fundus of the stomach around the esophagus and sew it back to itself). Or did they just pull the stomach out of the hernia and sew up the hole?

2. How was recovery of the hernia portion of the surgery?(if you able to differ between the two).

3. How is your acid reflux now(if you had it before)?

4. Would you do it again?

I don't need lap band surgery but i do need this hiatal hernia fixed. The catch is that i'm not too thrilled about having my stomach wrapped around my esophagus the rest of my life. I was hoping to find a surgeon that would just repair the diaphram and not wrap my stomach. I take nexium every day which controls the acid burn but not the other disturbing symptoms. It is starting to control my life and i'm ready for a fix. Thanks in advance!

Edited by bacchus

I have no idea how they did it, but I couldn't even tell they did. I have compared my recovery to 3 others and we were all the same. No reflux, it is great. I remember how I had difficult breathing when laying flat and how uncomfortable being full was. I have none of that now. It is really great that they could fix while they were in there.

I did not even know that I had a hiatal hernia until after the surgery was completed. Although I have been taking 40 mg of Omeprazole daily for over 2 years and had difficulty lying down without my head elevated, I never thought that I had a hiatal hernia, only acid reflux. However, my surgeon was generous enough to give me a picture of it before and after the repair. I have no idea what procedure he used, but I only know that I have not suffered from the previous symptoms since then. As far as my recovery from the lap band surgery, I don't believe it is any different from anyone else's. My current discomfort is not anywhere near the top part of my stomach/esophagus, but only around the port area. Best wishes to you, but considered it a blessing to have the hernia repaired AND the band correctly placed simultaneously. :biggrin:

Edited by jeannebs1

I had a hiatal hernia repaired during my surgery. I think this is the best part of my surgery. I had NO pain from that part of the surgery. The only pain I felt was the port. I have NO acid reflux now and NO more PVC's and panicky feeling (and yes, those were my worst symptoms too). I am so happy. I didn't know how bad I felt until I was fixed. I don't know if the Nissen thing was done to me though. I am 100% sure I would do that part again. I have had to take NO meds since the surgery for acid reflux and can lay down without discomfort. Go for it. You will be glad you did.

I had a hiatal hernia repaired during my surgery. I think this is the best part of my surgery. I had NO pain from that part of the surgery. The only pain I felt was the port. I have NO acid reflux now and NO more PVC's and panicky feeling (and yes, those were my worst symptoms too). I am so happy. I didn't know how bad I felt until I was fixed. I don't know if the Nissen thing was done to me though. I am 100% sure I would do that part again. I have had to take NO meds since the surgery for acid reflux and can lay down without discomfort. Go for it. You will be glad you did.:biggrin:

I had a hiatal hernia repaired. They made the hole bigger, slide the stomach out of it, and then sewed it up. I didn't realize there was another way to do it!

Anyway, most of the pain from surgery was from the hernia repair. OTOH, NO MORE REFLUX!! It's awesome.

1. Did the surgeon perform the Nissen Fundopliction surgery for the hernia repair? (this is where they fix the hole in the diaphram and wrap the fundus of the stomach around the esophagus and sew it back to itself). Or did they just pull the stomach out of the hernia and sew up the hole?

Mine was just a slight hernia, the stomach had not yet started migrating north, so my surgery just required a few stitches to close the tear.

2. How was recovery of the hernia portion of the surgery?(if you able to differ between the two).

I had some difficulty with breathing, which is supposedly rare. It wasn't a problem in my lungs but a weakness that made it difficult to draw in air. I couldn't talk for more than a few seconds or walk across the room without becoming breatless. I also had spasms where I would leave out involuntary sobbing noises which was a little embarassing. The problems lasted about a week and it was actually a blessing in disguise as I was able to quit smoking during this period (didn't have the strength to draw in the smoke).

As far as pain, that is hard to answer. When you have two surgeries at once and the location of the hernia and the lap band are so close, it is hard to determine which is causing your pain.

3. How is your acid reflux now(if you had it before)?

I have not had one incident of acid reflux, a little acidy sensation in the back of the throat after a fill but no real reflux or heartburn.

4. Would you do it again?

Sure, it would have been crazy not to have it done while I was getting the lap band: (a) they are literally right there and (:biggrin: not having it repared could have caused issues with the band. (d) no more reflux.

It is awesome to hear some good stories about the hiatal hernia repair surgery. I have heard alot of negatives about the wrap part of the surgery. I have a feeling the surgeons did not do the wrap on those that have gotten the lap band too. I am seeing my GI doc on Nov 13th and will request that he refers me to a surgeon skilled in Hiatal hernia repair. I will plead with the surgeon that he just pull the stomach back into place and sew up the hole in the diaphram and not do the wrap. We will see what he says. I'll have some arguement about people getting the lap band not getting the wrap. I have heard people not being able to vomit because the wrap is do tight. That sounds like a nightmare. Keep the stories coming...they are encouraging. Thanks!

I will be needing to have my hiatal hernia repaired when I get my band in a few weeks. I already knew I had one, so when they said they would have me do a barium swallow to see IF I had one... Well, I did that last Wednesday. I don't know how bad I have one, but was also wondering about the procedure (haven't talked at length to the doc yet).

Does anybody know if it requires a bit longer stay in the hospital, like one full day versus outpatient? Also, do they just access it via the laproscopic cuts they make anyway? I've already told those at work that that is the surgery I am having (haven't mentioned the band) and was wondering if they do it via the incisions or down the throat somehow.

They access the area laproscopically, very similar to the lap band procedure. No extra time in the hospital is required. My surgery was at 9:00 a.m. and I left the hospital to return home by 2:30 that same afternoon. No big deal AT ALL! Recovery time I assume is the same as if I had not had the hernia because any discomfort I felt was due to the CO2 gas and the port area.

Edited by jeannebs1

Mine was done as part of my sleeve. They are in there anyway and it's important to fix the hiatal hernia so you get the best results with the WLS.

I've never ever heard of anyone having some stomach wrapped around it when they had it repaired as part of WLS. It's always closed off with a figure eight stitch.

I will be needing to have my hiatal hernia repaired when I get my band in a few weeks. I already knew I had one, so when they said they would have me do a barium swallow to see IF I had one... Well, I did that last Wednesday. I don't know how bad I have one, but was also wondering about the procedure (haven't talked at length to the doc yet).

Does anybody know if it requires a bit longer stay in the hospital, like one full day versus outpatient? Also, do they just access it via the laproscopic cuts they make anyway? I've already told those at work that that is the surgery I am having (haven't mentioned the band) and was wondering if they do it via the incisions or down the throat somehow.

No, the added surgery should not add time to your stay. The area where a hiatal hernia occurrs is where the esophagus passes through the diaphragm, this is literally inches away from where your band will be placed. There will be no need for extra incisions...just a few stitches.

A Nissen is a pretty extreme procedure. Most of us have HHs but many don't even know until after surgery. A stitch is typically all that is needed to repair.

I 100% agree that the Nissen is extreme. That's why i don't want it. I just want the surgeon to pull the stomach out of the hole in the diaphram and sew up the hernia. I know that would make me feel 100% better than I do now. Are they any MD's that visit this board that could comment? The wrap is scary. I read too many bad things about it. I know they do it to help prevent a recurrence of the hernia. I just wonder how easy it is to bust the stitches they use to sew up the diaphram. Sounds to me that lap band folks didn't get the wrap but maybe the lap band itself is sort of like a wrap. Does the lap band stay in there for life or once you hit your goal weight it comes out?

I had a hiatal hernia repaired during my surgery. I think this is the best part of my surgery. I had NO pain from that part of the surgery. The only pain I felt was the port. I have NO acid reflux now and NO more PVC's and panicky feeling (and yes, those were my worst symptoms too). I am so happy. I didn't know how bad I felt until I was fixed. I don't know if the Nissen thing was done to me though. I am 100% sure I would do that part again. I have had to take NO meds since the surgery for acid reflux and can lay down without discomfort. Go for it. You will be glad you did.

That is awesome your HH repair worked. I don't think the doctors understand how many different symptoms the HH can cause from Panic and Anxiety(probably my worst symptoms), burping up food, Constipation, and general discomfort in the sternum area. Maybe my hernia is worse than others. I finally got tired of the panic(never had this issue until the hernia happened) and went to my GP and got some xanax to take for occasional use. That seems to help when the hernia is really in bad shape and i'm somewhere "out of my comfort zone". Those 2 combinations usually induce panic. I can't wait to see a surgeon....i'm figuring 4 weeks or so out of my life to recover from surgery is nothing compared to the rest of my life. I'm 29.