Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nursing while banded.

Well, as many of you know, I was majorly concerned about continuing to nurse after my band. I nursed up until two hours before surgery. I was told by the doctors that I could nurse immediately following surgery except for the patch they put on me for nausea. So, I ended up bottle feeding Catalyna for 48 hours. I then nursed, but got really nauseous a few hours later. I bottle fed for another day. I kept pumping throughout. I was so worried that I was drying up though. I was only pumping like an ounce out of each breast. Once I started nursing again, I supplemented with 2 bottles a day. I eventually cut it back and I am back to nursing full time. The milk she is a flowing--yeah! All is great now. I definetly feel a little run down if I don't take a Protein Shake in the morning, but otherwise I'm great. Thank you to everyone for being so supportive and thank you God for letting me continue nursing.

That is so great! I know that made you so happy to be able to keep nursing. I am proud of you. That is a hard thing to do. Keep up the great work!

Angie

Girl, you know that I'm EXTREMELY proud of you! Congratulations on keeping that mama's "goodness" a-flowing! How satisfied and rewarded you must feel!!!

GREAT JOB!!!!

I had to continue the Protein shake till I weaned (ok- cut Adrian back to once a day- about 3 weeks ago). Do make sure you get in at least 150 g of carbs- will keep brain up and functioning and enough for milk and still loose weight! Depending on the age of your little one- you need almost 300 to 500 calories a day to nurse.

I was thinking of you the other day- glad it worked!!!!! I would have missed the relationshio (and you always pump less than the little one can get - so don't ever let that worry you!

Well done Heather! Thanks so much for the update, I'm so glad you filled us in. There are those searching that will be happy to know you can nurse banded, and even nurse through your surgery! Well, pump, I guess, but you maintained your milk supply! Have you needed any herbal supplements? Did you just pump regularly until you got back on a nursing schedule? I am so proud of you!!!

Have you needed any herbal supplements? Did you just pump regularly until you got back on a nursing schedule?

I haven't taken any supplements other than Viactiv for Calcium and Vitamins. I pumped about every 4 hours, longer at night. That's probally why my supply went down for a bit. It was so nice at night to actually sleep a little more. My mom stayed with me for a week to help with the baby. The first night the baby got up several times, but not me---snoozing away. Gotta love it. We went camping over the 4th and Catalyna actually slept through the night. I had to wake her up at 8am cause I hurt sooo bad. Then we came back to reality and the garbage trucks and people leaving for work and a loud husband and a loud 4 year old. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted----4 days of a good night sleep. Ah, the memories. LOL

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm nursing. I haven't been banded yet. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer. Anyway, I was hesitant to tell the doctor about nursing, because I thought he would not allow me to be banded. I planned on nursing him until I had the surgery and then stop....I didn't know if I could keep my milk flowing. I AM SO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE!!!!! You are an inspiration. I really want to continue, but I also want him to have a healthy mom. Thanks again.

Hi thinjen,

I was also very hesitant to talk to my doctor about nursing before I got the band, but once I did I was very grateful. He acted like it was no big deal at all. He said there was absolutely no reason why I couldn't continue to nurse. He said that if your body felt like it was being deprived in any way of nutrients or whatever, that your milk would just dry up. He highly doubted that would happen. Think of all the starving people in third world countries that nurse thier kids for years. Our bodies produce our own glucose and will regulate according to what we need. I'm so glad I spoke with my doctor. He made me feel much more confident in my decision to continue. I have been eating an extra 200-300 calories a day to supplement myself. It's actually quite nice, because I'm usually hungry around 3pm anyways. I just add a yogurt or egg. I'm taking in around 800 calories and 50-60 grams of protien a day. How old is your little one?

Riverrat,

My boys are 5 years old and 4 months old. I only nursed my 5 year old for 7 weeks and had to return to work. I'm hoping to nurse my 4 month old for a year. For years, I knew that I was fat but thought that I should lose weight for cosmetic reasons. Now that my back, hips, legs, feet etc hurt constantly and my cholesterol is out of control am I realizing that this is a health issue. I have had so much guilt for considering the band and thought that I was being selfish. After finding this site, I'm realizing that it is one of the most self-less things I can do. I deserve to be healthy and my family deserves a healthy wife and mom. I loved your analogy about 3rd world countries. You're right...they nurse their babies on far fewer calories than what we'll be getting. It's so wonderful that we can take charge of our own health and still nurse our babies for better health. God bless you for sharing!!

Just wanted to add my 2 cents...

I'm a LLL Leader, breastfeeding counselor, and mother of 6. I'm not yet banded (will be on 8/20). But, I can tell you there is no reason that nursing would not be OK with the band. You can nurse right up to when you are put under with the anesthesia, and then as soon as you feel up to it afterwards. The anesthesia will not be a problem for the baby.

As for nursing while you are banded... not a problem. But, there are some things to consider. First, if your baby is a newborn, you should put off your banding until your milk supply is well established. It is vital that you are well-nourished and well-hydrated in order to establish your milk supply. In fact, since mom is her baby's sole source of nutrition for the first 6 months, I wouldn't do any sort of drastic reduction in food intake until my baby started solid food. Of course, if it is a choice between banding and artificial baby milk (aka formula), go with the banding :)

Feel free to send nursing questions my way!

Kim

KIM,

I was wondering if you think I should be consuming more Proteins or calories than I currently am taking. I average around 50 grams Protein or a little less and approx 800 calories a day. My baby is almost 4 months old. I must admit, I have been feeling a little run down lately. The nurse says it's pretty typical at this time post band, but they have never had a nursing mom either. It is really hard to get all the Proteins in a day. Sometimes I struggle to get 30 grams and I hate those shakes. ps-do you know anywhere to get some pretty or black nursing bras?

Thinjen,

Sounds like we're in the same boat. My son will be 5 on August 26th and my daughter will be 4 months on the 29th of July. I had my band when my daughter was 11weeks.

Don't waste to much money in nursing bras- the first place I lost weight was my breasts!!!!! I went from a 44 d to a 36 B over the year and I had spent a good deal of $$$ on the bras (but I did get a year of used, but I needed great supporst so I had to buy sizes all the way down I will never use. --Well at least good will will bet some nice ones.

By the way- I nursed my bio kid for almost another year after my surgery- and am nursing my new little one now. I must say as much as you hate those shake-- get it in- it will make you feel fun down. Are you still on the prenatal Vitamins? They have a chewable one!!! I recently found out I needed to go back on them from what I switched to -- needed more Iron. l

Thank God for this forum!! As for my milk supply, I could feed a 3rd world country. My baby is in the 90th percentile on weight and 75 on height. He's getting plenty, currently. I guess that was my fear- that I would have to stop after surgery...but it sounds like I won't. By the time I get finished with all of my checklist, he'll be closer to 6 months and ready for some baby food, etc. As for losing weight, I can't wait to lose it all over, but especially my chest. Currently am a 46F and my back is killing me.