Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OUCH! Port was hard to find at last fill.....

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem......I had my 3rd fill this past thursday and the nurse couldnt get the needle in my port, but was digging around with the needle in my belly and I finally had to tell her to stop, she was hurting me....then the Doc came in and even he had a really hard time finding the center of the port and I ended up bleeding and had 3 needle holes in my belly. It was so gross, I could hear the needle scraping the hard plastic outside of the port but not getting in the middle to do a fill. :) It was QUITE painful and I am still bruised up from it. I dont know why it happened, the first 2 fills were totally painless. I wish I knew what changed. The Doc said it was not unusual and that this happens some times.......I am NOT looking forward to the next fill.......hope it goes better. :thumbup:

Anyone else have this problem? What did your doc tell you was the reason?

Thanks,

Judie

i got my first fill the 20th of this month. and the docotr had a problem finding my port. he kept moving that needle around and it started to hurt bad. so he got the nurse and she got it with the first time. it was a bad first time. im just hoping it dosent happen again. they said i had a really deep port.

My 2nd fill was last week & it took 7 sticks to hit the port. It was very painful & I was bruised & sore for several days. The Physician Assistant tried 4 times, then the physician tried 2 more times, then we all went over to the hospital & got r done with 1 more stick under fluro.

Doc says my port has moved due to the weight loss & was really hard to locate. He says it will get easier as I lose even more weight. If not, then I'm at least going to ask that it be done under fluro.

Sorry ya'll had problems, looks like its just a few people that report this type of problem...aren't we lucky!

I had the same problem this morning. My doctor stuck me like 7 or 8 times and couldn't find the center of my port. He had to change needles because it almost broke inside me. When he pulled it out it was bent. He ended up having to give me a second local anesthetic. I felt the pressure from the needle going through the plastic on the port. I could feel the needle scraping around inside my belly. I also felt a lot of pressure and burning. I think he completely missed the port or went straight through it. He said he finally got it but I'm still not convinced. He couldn't pull the Fluid out to make sure it was in there. They scheduled my next fill for 3 weeks instead of 5 so maybe he isn't convinced either. I am really sore right now so I took some tylenol. I really don't understand why it was so difficult this time. My first three fills were easy. Only one stick and I was done. My doctor also told me that as I lose weight the port moves. I just hope my next fill isn't this difficult.

Wow GreatlyBlessed,

You got anesthetic?!?! It wasnt even an option for me, it would have been nice. I also started bleeding from the needle holes. It was sore and bruised up for several days. They only got 1 cc in me this time, it feels NO different than before. I am calling tomorrow to get in ASAP for another fill. Hope the next one goes better.

Hope you are doing better soon!

Hugs,

Judie

jandamom and Jason R,

Hope you guys are doing better also.

Take it easy,

Judie

Judie...ask for some lidocaine next time, as it makes the whole process much more comfortable! I'm probably gonna ask for it to be done under fluro the next time, since they had such a difficult time last week.

Hope the next one goes better for you!!

Well, I think my doctor did finally get the needle in my port because BOY do I feel restriction. I haven't felt like this before. I'm not too tight where I can't get anything down, but I feel the restriction now with just the liquids I'm on now. I feel like I'm so stuffed after drinking about a cup of Water. I had 4cc's in already but I don't know how much more he put in because he couldn't draw it back out. I will see how much I can eat tomorrow when I start mushies. I am down 2 more pounds today. I am still swollen and sore from Thursday but it's getting better.

im sorry you had so much trouble. i had my first fill today. dr gave me a local anethetic to numb me first. he found the port site right away with the needle. i hope its always like that.

Should not have read this thread, I have my third fill tomorrow! Oh my, I hope it goes well. I feel as if my port has moved with the weight loss. The first two times went really well and they were able to find the port with the first stick of the needle!

I hope you are all doing better, does not sound like fun!

Im right there with you krtork!

OMG - I have my 4th fill tomorrow.....as you know from my first post here, my previous fill was really painful. I am really hoping that it goes better this time. I will let you know. :biggrin:)

Good luck krtork and anyone else having a fill soon!

Judie

Hi there,

just a quick note to let you know that my fill today was painless. this time the doc got it on the first try........we dont know what the heck happened last time. Thanks for your responses.

Judie

I had my second fill. It was a bit hard to find the port since it tipped she said that can happen with weight loss, it did not really hurt. She took all the solution out and put new saline back in with a 1 cc more so I have 3cc's now. The old fill had a trace of blood in it she said this can happen. She would rather put new saline in.

They were very pleased with my weight loss and how I felt and looked. Good Day today. Eating pureed chicken and rice Healthy Choice Soup. Just got back from Water aerobics.

Had my 2nd fill on Tuesday and he had a hard time finding it. I could feel the needle and the port. UGH!

The 1st fill was fine but this one wasn't. What was really bad was my 2 1/2yr old was with me. The 1st time, she was fine. This time, and I think it's b/c it took so long, she started crying. Poor thing. Here I am, in pain, laying on the table holding her hand and trying to comfort her while the dr is searching around inside me with the needle. Finally, he found it and got it done. I'm bruised and swollen. UGH!

I went in so casual b/c the 1st time wasn't a big deal. Don't get me wrong, it hurt but this time was way worse. Now I'm not looking forward to next month!

It'll help if DH's vacation coincides with my appt b/c he'll either be able to be there and help DD or they'll be home and I'll go on my own.

My dr felt bad that DD was crying. He was trying to tell her that I was really okay. I had to tell him that before he came in, DD kept getting onto the table, laying down and pulling her shirt up to expose her tummy. She said she was going to get a needle too! It was cracking me up! I think she changed her mind though!

Poor thing! She made me carry her all the way out to the truck too.