Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thick "crud" in back of throat after eating...

I was banded July 14. I have had 4 fills so far and have 7.5cc in a 14cc band. This is the first time I have REALLY felt restriction. After this last fill I have noticed that after just taking a couple bites, I get this THICK film in the back of my throat making me cough and stuff like that. Anyone else experience this? What is it? Does it mean anything? BTW I have never vomited, pb'd or slimed with the band, I have come very close to vomiting though.

Yep, eating a few grapes while reading your post and the 'crud' is starting in the back of my throat as well.

Others will post EXACTLY what it is but I can tell you it's totally normal and is one of many signals a body can have to sound the alert enough food has been consumed.

"just one more" is what I say alot...but be careful with that as it can cause sliming.

Congrats on your progress.

Thanks for the reply.. So that is my sign for no more food. I know what you mean by saying "just one more" I keep telling myself, Ill let this feeling go away and try to eat again. It is so tempting to take a drink to wash the crud down, but that hurts so bad to take a drink. That is a hard habit to break.

Hi Elizabeth. I get the same thing. Not to be gross, but it feels like your throat is full of snot, right? :thumbup: I have really noticed it since my fill last week, too. I get mine when I first start eating, so I know that it's not because I'm full. Not sure what it is???

kdlee and Elizabeth, You're describing the beginning stages of a PB! You're either eating too fast, too much or taking too big of bites. Welcome to the Land O' Restriction!

Thanks, Terry. I think you're right about eating too fast. It's hard for me to remember to slow down. I take small bites and chew well but I continue to eat too fast, especially when I'm around other people. I just finally got some restricition last week, so this is new territory!

Even after being banded a year and a half, I STILL have problems while eating around other people...even my own family. I think I subconsciously try to "keep up" with their pace, or I'm simply not paying attention to myself because I'm paying attention to them! Oddly, I do the best if I eat while I'm doing something else....like on the computer or making jewelry so that I'm not just eating one bite after the other after the other.......

Just proceed with caution and when you start to feel anything unusual or especially uncomfortable this is your sign to STOP! for a minute or two...walk around if you can...then resume if you like. To continue eating or to drink at this juncture will only make things much worse.

Don't worry -- You'll learn!! :-)

This is definitly a major learning process. Since my last fill, I get pain also after just eating 1 bite.. I think I probably am just still eating too fast or too big of bites. Then of course I get the crud. It is soo tempting to just stick my finger down my throat at that time, but I know that is bad to do. lol.. I fight the urge to vomit the way it is so I know I would never be able to stick my finger down my throat anyway. Just gotta learn the signs and signals from my body and I guess that stuff wont happen. The holidays are coming and that kind of scares me. I keep thinking "will the turkey get stuck" how about ham... I guess I will just learn.

You probably have "First Bite Syndrome", which I do too sometimes. It's like you take a bite of something (esp. solid food), or two or three, and you get this major restriction. After a minute or so, it subsides and you can eat normally.

If this is what's going on with you, you may want to try drinking something warm before you eat. Otherwise just pay attention and just take a few bites then wait a couple minutes....don't just keep eating. You'll find that this issue comes and goes. Usually stress and hormone levels make the problem worse.

You probably have "First Bite Syndrome", which I do too sometimes. It's like you take a bite of something (esp. solid food), or two or three, and you get this major restriction. After a minute or so, it subsides and you can eat normally.

If this is what's going on with you, you may want to try drinking something warm before you eat. Otherwise just pay attention and just take a few bites then wait a couple minutes....don't just keep eating. You'll find that this issue comes and goes. Usually stress and hormone levels make the problem worse.

That sounds exactly like what I experience. I was on my period last week, so that makes sense! I'll have to try some warm tea. Thanks for the suggestion! :biggrin: