Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared...dont wont to chicken out!!! HELP!!!

Im am scheduled to get banded on jan 15 09....I was scheduled earlier but had to change it due to my work and then I didnt want to have it right before christmas. Anyways, I was real excited until just recently. I have started reading (maybe 2 much) and its just getting to be a little scary. I have read about the nausea feelings, lumps in throats, vomiting, heartburn etc. I know that there has to be some pain with this but I dont want to go through a constant state of sickness. I work hard and have 2 children. I dont have the time to be "sick" all the time.... So, for all the bansters out there...please help me... I need the truth but I also need to hear positive things also. Thanks:confused::thumbup:

First of all you need to realize that people usually post when there are PROBLEMS! :thumbup: That means that the 10's of thousands of "happy" bandsters are out living slimmer lives and not posting.

Not to belittle those who do have problems, of course, but realize they are in the minority. Being fat also has issues, drawbacks, problems. Please read these boards with a grain of salt, both the good AND the bad. If you want to keep researching, Amazon has some great books on Lap banding that you can read. Your surgeon probably wouldn't mind you going to a support group meeting or two.

I won't try to talk to into or out of the band. I love mine, I'm 8 weeks out. I will tell you that GERD is usually a condition of being too tight and then stretching the pouch (not always, just usually). I will tell you not everyone has nausea, vomiting, sliming, PB'ing (productive burping where stuck food comes up) etc. Most of those people don't come to post because they are busy living life! :( So realize that while those very real side effects can and do happen, they don't happen to everyone. There is often a cause that can be "fixed".

If you are willing to follow your doctor's rules, change your eating style (not just what you eat but HOW you eat, chew chew small bites, no liquids with meals, etc) then odds are good that you either will not ever suffer any of those symptoms or if you do, they will be mild and transitory as you adjust.

I've never done any of that. I didn't even have nausea post op. I feel great. I wouldn't change my band for anything. But that's just me. Remember, every story has 2 sides. Decide what's right for you!

I agree with Restlessmonkey, she always has good things to say. I had my band on 08-11-08 and I love it. I didn't have any nausea after surgery and so far no problems pbing or getting food stuck. I do take small bites and I chew chew chew. It is different for everyone and I know there are people that have problems, however, they are an exception to the rule. If you follow your doctor's advice you will do fine.

Thanks alot!!!!!! I just need to hear from you kinds of people. I did the same thing through out my pregnancy. I would research things and of course the bad ones are what people want to write and read about. BTW, everything turned out fine then. You know the old saying you are what your around. I just want to be around positive folks and regain my excitement. I dont mind knowing about the problems. Im sure that will help...Just not all the time...Thx again

There are a few people who have problems but I think for the most part, myself included, it has been really a breeze. The problems that come with the band, PB's, heartburn, are mostly self induced and can be managed if you pay attention. I think if you go to the montly lap band sites and read, you will find people who are just going day by day and getting along. Reaching for support and motivation!

One of my January 2007 bandmates said she has only PB's twice in 21 months. I do it about twice a week! It isn't that big of a deal, really! I just come to expect it.

I have said before, that our bands seem to have their own perverse personality. They are different from day to day and different from time of day to the next. You just have to see how it goes and act accordingly.

Getting banded is one of the best things I've done for myself. I feel terrific. My quality of life is better and I'm doing more things. I've lost 60 and have 30 to go. This last 30 is making me work extra hard (which I've been slacking on) but I'm just plugging away!

You'll be fine.

I also agree with Restless Monkey. I was banded Jan 25, 08 in TJ, Mexico. It really has been the best thing I have ever done for my physical and mental health! I was self-pay and can honestly say that this was cash well-spent!

The minor problems I had probably occured in the first 4 wks after surgery and I think are expected issues following any surgery. My issues of PB ing only occur when I push it, so have learned to take it easy. The first time it happenned, I panicked, but now know what it is and what to do about it. Knowledge is power, so if you are prepared for issues such as PBing and gas pains in Left shoulder following surgery etc... you don't freak as much and can deal with the issue knowing it is a common problem. I had great patient facilitators whom I had email and phone access to 24/7 who walked me through any problems that arose.

I also turned to this forum for help.

Just look at all info with a sceptic's

eyecuz there is alot of fear-mongering and inaccuracies appearing on a regular basis.

This forum is a great place to find a buddy or mentor.

I have lost about 45-50 lbs so far and couldn't be more pleased.

Good luck in your decision.

Don't be scared. If I could do it you can too!!! I got banded on 10/21/08 and I'm glad I did. I waited 1 year because I was scarred. I have not had any problems thus far. There will possibly be a lot of gas on your stomach after surgery, but once you get up and move around it will leave. So far, I am 12 pounds lighter since my pre-op and I feel good. Of course I am sore at the port site. But you must think about your overall quality of life and where you want to be in the future. Good luck to you, and keep in touch.

OHHH...Thanks sooo much...I am already feeling better about the surgery. Just needed to hear the "good" stuff for awhile and not sooo much of the negatives. As for the gas, they found gallstones in my preop work up for lapband and had to have my gallbladder removed oct 6th. The gas was awful. Worst part of it!!! keep the comments coming!!!!!:thumbup: