Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there foods you can't eat anymore?

My nutritionist said that once i get my band I might not be able to eat steak, doughy bread, dry chicken breast, and fibrous vegetables anymore. But I've also heard that with the newer bands, you CAN eat these foods.

What band do you have, and are there foods you can no longer eat? I'm especially concerned about pizza. Thanks!

I have an AP large. (and yes I plan to lose as well as those with AP small LOL) My doc told me not to borrow trouble and that odds were I could eat essentially anything I did before. He said I MIGHT have trouble with white bread and stringy red beef, and then again, I might not. So far with 1 fill I have no issues, and don't really think I ever will.

I havent discovered anything I absolutely cant eat in 3 years. But some foods are harder than others and some so tedious to eat that I just dont bother any more, my desire for those foods having totally evaporated - pizza and McDonalds mainly.

By the same token though, I can pb on absolutely anything - I've pb'd Water when I gulped it once after a long run.

Eat slowy and carefully and you'll find your diet shouldnt be TOO restricted, although be realistic in there are foods you may not really want to or be able to eat again.

I have the Realize band and have found that red meat, especially hamburger is hard to tolerate. I have been using ground turkey instead. I can still eat chicken, dark meat seems to go down better. I can't have any doughy bread - but I have been staying away from bread as much as possible. That was one of the things that got me here! I have tried pizza, I usually can eat two small bites of the tip and that is it - the rest won't go down. Broccoli is a big NO for me, can't handle it!

I have been adding new foods and seeing how they go down. I know that everybody is different, what works for one doesn't work for the other! Everybody was raving about canned tuna at group last week, came home and tried some, I can't eat it.

I have had a Realize band since July. I have never had a problem eating anything--of course I haven't felt restriction yet either. I think I could eat this computer if I wanted to. . .

I can pretty much eat anything in extremely small amounts. I can eat 1/2 a piece of toast if I chew well and eat slow. I can get in 1/2 a slice of pizza if it's just 1 topping, I eat 2 oz of beef, 2 oz of chicken at a time.

So no I really can eat it all. That doesn't mean I want to though. I get bored of chewing and usually opt for less doughy things so I don't have to work so hard to eat lol.

It depends on how tight you are, your mood, a whole lot of things. What you can eat one day, you might not be able to eat the next. It's a difficult thing to answer in absolutes. I have trouble most of the time with white meat chicken, but have successfully eaten it. Steak doesn't give me trouble at all. Soft doughy bread is indeed a tough one, but I have eaten a little bit of pizza. I do better with bread toasted. I try to avoid it for the most part, but eat 100% whole wheat when I crave it. whole wheat crackers are better. I've gotten stuck on salad, chicken, tuna fish, green Beans, saltine crackers and chinese food. I can not do carbonated drinks at all. I have to be VERY careful with popcorn. Most everything is okay, as long as I chew the heck out of it.

I think I could eat this computer if I wanted to. . .

:thumbup: Just remember to chew thoroughly...

While I was loosing and when first on maintenance, there were a few foods I would NOT EVER eat again....bad experience.

But yesterday I ate a peach, with the peeling. Haven't tried an apple yet - not that brave.

I have no problem with pizza, one of my favorite foods. I don't do pizza Hut or Dominoes anymore, but I do make my own or eat the frozen ones.

:) L12

I can eat almost anything. The only thing that came close to sticking was chicken breast the day after. If it is freshly cooked, but not overcooked, it doesn't give me a problem. I have had pizza with a whole wheat crust (1 piece of a 10 inch). I have not tried steak, but I am not really a steak person. The key is chew, chew, chew and chew some more. You may find that some foods are actually GROSS when you have to chew it this much and you no longer want them. popcorn is like that. Kinda nasty when it is all mushy in your mouth.:thumbup: