Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your support group all about?

Hi fellow banders

My Dr has a support group that meets once a month($20). I have been to 2 of these meetings, the first at 2 weeks after banding and the second just last week(7 months out). Both were rather unorganized and I left with the feeling I get more and better support here at LBT.

Im wondering what other support groups are like. Does your Dr have one? Do you have to pay? What is talked about? Do they have hand outs? recipes? Do you get a support buddy/sponsor (like AA)? Who runs the group? What makes your support group good? What's working for you?

Thanks in advance!!:mellow:

I have a support group that meets once a month. We are not charged for this meeting. We have a lesson of some point the first 15 or 20 minutes, then we open up to discussion between people at the meeting, we start out with questions from people who just had surgery or are having surgery. The one thing I do not like about this support group is most people have had gastic by-pass. This week we do have a speaker who had lapband surgery.

I get alot out of these meeting speaking with people who are going through the same thing as I am.

We have a clothes exchange, I am giving someone I met through these support meetings the 1st set of clothing I am too small for.

All in all a very positive experience in Roanoke Va.

Thanks for the response. The clothing exchange is a good idea. I like the 15-20 min of a topic too.

We have a before surgery support group and an after surgery support group..Both groups are FREE and run my people in the group who have had the produre done...NO GASTRIC people in our support groups..They have their own groups. We talk about all sorts of interesting things..even recipes...good ideas...what to do when....its normal to have....etc etc...l can't believe you are being charged...thats not at all fair, especially if you really aren't getting anything out of them...

The support group that I attend, you do not have to pay anything.

It is very well organized and there are people that speakthat has either been band or had gastric bypass. We talk about issues good and bad depending on our experiences. We went to Water aerobics as a group (twice) since our meetings are held at the Fitness Center at the Hospital. Most meetings there is a speaker there to share information with us regarding health and diet. I've enjoy each meeting that I attended. Snacks are available at each meeting. (Foods that are band friendly)

LBT is a great support.

The medical facility that I use has a program that is set up with post banding seminars to address the 6 main issues that most of us face (eating out, holiday eating, exercise, and ect.). I was charged an intial $249 and these are held at the clinic over lunch hour so most people can attend. We receive a schedule of what is being held on each day and can just show up. The support group is separate and meets in the evenings in a room at the hospital. They even offer exercise classes instructed by staff. There is no charge for this and any of the seminars or classes or groups are available to me for the rest of my life.... If after 5 years I need to restart after a little gain I can just show up... I was pleased to know that this is available to me. It is so nice to know that there is support out there for me if and when I need it. It isn't compulsory and isn't meant to be anything but another part of the tool of lapband. I live 40 miles from the clinic and like that I can attend at my own choice when I happen to be in town. The seminars are just constantly running on a rotation so if you miss one you can pick it up again when it comes around.. I think this is a good system... Julie

Wow there are some really great things happening out there. I love the rotating seminars. Ms Bubba could you list all 6 for me?

I think the paying for a support group is bogus, unless it is to cover the space rental or refreshments.

Amanda, I was off a little as there are actually 8 in all....

1.meal planning

2. preventing relapse

3. review of basics

4. establishing new habits

5. how many calories are enough

6. preparing for success

7. exercise

8. dining out and holiday eating

It's a pretty good program. I have only made it to 3 so far, but will work the others in as they are available to me.. Good luck to you... Julie

Im wishing I lived in ND- that sounds like a great group!

I've seen other people mention they've had plastic surgeons come and speak at their groups. I think that's a FABULOUS idea!!

Also physical trainers to discuss exercise programs.

well my support group meetings is once a month, the third saturday of the month @ st.vincent east in alabama. we welcome any bander from any surgen. the more the better. we meet up about an hour and talk and ask if anyone has questions. we talk about anything from food, meals,pain,and anything else. then we go to a meeting where non banders are and talk about are banded life to them. and let them ask us questions. we always have a good turn out. and they never charge anything for this meetings. we have a website also. its www.banders4life.com. so if theres any alabama banders out there that need a place to come feel free to join us.

In my support group we meet for an hour every other week. The meeting is run by our outpatient exercise coordinator and either the dietician or psychologist. the meeting consists of powerpoint presentations and handouts. We are allowed to ask questions and make comments throughout the course of the meeting. I've been going to the meetings since March until last month, but I no longer go. I don't feel I'm getting anything from these meetings.