Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Paid

It may be a little early, but I got a call for a Christmas gig today. I've done this particular one for several years, and it's very nice.

the last time I went, however, the hostess arranged for me to have transportation. (Before this, friends drove me there.) Anyway, she didn't pay me afterward, but told me she would send me a check, which she did. But it wasn't for the amount she said it would be.

This happened to me at a local theater where I was the music director for several shows. The last one I did, I wasn't paid until several weeks after, which is not what we agreed on.

I hate having to ask people for money, but I know I have to, and that I deserve to be paid when they say I should as well as the price agreed on.

I'm thinking about telling this woman, who is very nice, that I need to have my money the night of the gig, and no less than what she's always paid me. She said they missed me last year, so we'll see how sincere she is.

But what I want to know if anyone else has had this problem, and how you handled it.

A written contract helps, but doesn't always guarantee it.

I had written formal guidelines for wedding sent out early to the bride and groom. I needed a substitute for the wedding at the last minute and they tried to stiff her.

I was proud of her....she refused to play a note until they paid her. We live in a resort area and they come (north)up here and pay thousands for the Banquet Hall ( at a local castle) and thousands more for the catering and well over a thousand for the flowers and they don't want to pay a musician a $150 for their time and training. Besides the bride's dress, the food at the reception, that is often the part that people remember the most.

I try to insist they pay me the night of the rehearsal, because as you say standing around waiting for it or getting into the reception line is awkward. They do have much more on their minds the day of the wedding.

The contracts I do are simple. What they can expect from me and what I expect from them.

Good luck

Don

Thank you, Don. I've been an accompanist for a musical theater class at a junior college for the past five or six years. They have always sent checks to me, and I did have to sign a written form, which I suppose was a little different. The past few times they were slower and slower in sending my money, and I finally had to say to my friend, who taught the class, that I wouldn't play any more unless I could be assured of getting paid in a timely manner.

With this Christmas gig, I'm just going to have to tell this woman that I want the money the same night, and if she offers transportation for me, it doesn't mean she gets to deduct that from my check. I play for a good three hours, and more if people are enjoying the music, and that's not counting the time when the hostess likes to lead everybody singing.

Looks like I'm going to have to tell her what I need. But contracts from now on, I think is a good idea.

Debbien

Edited by serenity55