Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should prostitution be legal?

Should prostitution be legal?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should prostitution be legal?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Can somebody explain to me why every time Patty gets involved in a thread, it becomes the Patty Green Hour of Power? :)

Maybe you'd do better on a religion-only board somewhere.

Beth, are you on this forum specifically to bash me in every single one of your comments or would you like to have a discussion here? You have already stated that 'I don't matter to you.", so why don't you leave me alone?

Beth, did you ever consider that maybe YOU are putting a "superior" tone on my words while you read them, or maybe because you have this "detestable" thing for me that you are reading my posts while putting a "high and mighty" tone on them? I do not feel that I am superior to anyone else nor do I feel that I am better than anyone else.

Maybe your 'loving' personality towards others, and my 'straightforward' personality could work together for the common cause. God made us all different. Even though I am straightforward, Inside I am still loving towards others and would like that to come out more, and maybe you are very loving towards others and should be more straightforward with God's word sometimes. If all the world were a ditto copy of each other, where would the diversity be. So, why not stop putting me down, and show some more of that 'love' you say you have for others.

I have, personally speaking, grown tired of Pattygreen's continuous bleatings that prostitution is a sin. This is no way serves to solve what is one of society's problems and is thus quite counterproductive. This seems to be the trouble with many who have chosen the fundamentalist path: they have become so focused on the next life that they ignore this earthly one.

Pattygreen herself has taken advantage of one of mankind's little innovations, the lapband, in order to deal with the results of her own besetting sin - Gluttony. Is it not hypocritical to choose to refuse to engage in a discussion about what measures might be available to temper, if not the causes, then at least the effects of another sin - Prostitution? By setting up measures which keep the prostitute (and her johns) safe, one permits her (and her johns) to be alive and healthy for a possible future conversion, yes, even to fundamentalism. I am certain that even Pattygreen's sin-obsessed Lord would approve.

Is it any wonder more wars were started and people killed over religion than any other thing?

You know what they say... all's fair in love, war, and politics.

Brad

Beth, are you on this forum specifically to bash me in every single one of your comments or would you like to have a discussion here? You have already stated that 'I don't matter to you.", so why don't you leave me alone?

If I felt you could actually have a discussion without it turning into The Patty Show for Bible Thumpers, I would love to discuss with you.

Are you only on this forum specifically to preach the gospel according to Patty? It seems to me that every thread you involve yourself in, you monopolize it with your skewed version of Christianity.

Maybe your 'loving' personality towards others, and my 'straightforward' personality could work together for the common cause. God made us all different. Even though I am straightforward, Inside I am still loving towards others and would like that to come out more, and maybe you are very loving towards others and should be more straightforward with God's word sometimes. If all the world were a ditto copy of each other, where would the diversity be. So, why not stop putting me down, and show some more of that 'love' you say you have for others.

I never claim to be anything that I am not. Love for all others is not something I do very well. I have no tolerance for stupidity, including my own. I am more straightforward than most, and for some it's a breath of fresh air, while for others it is not even close to welcomed.

However -- HOWEVER -- I feel that people's relationships with God is their OWN, not mine. I don't tell people how to raise their kids (though God knows I have a lot of opinions in that area), I don't tell people how to treat their spouses, I don't tell people how to act with their coworkers. I certainly have NO business telling people how to act towards their God (or non-god if that be the case).

If you don't realize that your form of bleating runs people off, then there's not much I can do for you.

Now, can you have ANY conversation ANYwhere that does not turn into this mess?

I have, personally speaking, grown tired of Pattygreen's continuous bleatings that prostitution is a sin. This is no way serves to solve what is one of society's problems and is thus quite counterproductive. This seems to be the trouble with many who have chosen the fundamentalist path: they have become so focused on the next life that they ignore this earthly one.

Pattygreen herself has taken advantage of one of mankind's little innovations, the lapband, in order to deal with the results of her own besetting sin - Gluttony. Is it not hypocritical to choose to refuse to engage in a discussion about what measures might be available to temper, if not the causes, then at least the effects of another sin - Prostitution? By setting up measures which keep the prostitute (and her johns) safe, one permits her (and her johns) to be alive and healthy for a possible future conversion, yes, even to fundamentalism. I am certain that even Pattygreen's sin-obsessed Lord would approve.

EXCELLENT!!!

Methinks somebody ought to cast the log from their own eye before commenting on the speck in another's.

Yes, I believe glottony is a sin. (one sin of which I and all of us here was committing every day, before lapband) There is a vast difference between an 'unbelievers' sins and a 'believers' sins. Not that God does not hate both alike, the difference is not in the sin, but in the way God treats it. Here is a father who sends his son and his hired servant to do a piece of work. They are lazy and inefficient, and do not do the work. He bears with them, and tries them again, but it is no use. His son and his servant are good for nothing, his son perhaps the worse of the two. Now what does he do? He discharges the servant. He puts him out of his house. He will have nothing more to do with him. But does he discharge his son? Does he send him away from the house? Does he disinherit him? Nothing of the kind. He may rebuke him, cut off his allowance, punish him worse than he punished the servant, but he will not send him away because he is his son. We see then, that 'sonship' is a real thing. Is sonship then a shield from the punishment of sin? Does my sonship make it safer for me to sin? Oh no! It simply gives me the blessed privilege of having an Advocate, (Jesus) and since it is inevitable that I will sin, it is better to sin as a Son than as an unbeliever.

Thank you for the sermon.

Now, would you please answer the question?

Again:

You believe in laws limiting sexual behavior but do you support laws limiting the amount of food you can consume?

Dear Was, There are 3 kinds of language in the bible: Figurative, Symbolic, and Literal. There are 3 things to avoid in reading the bible: Misinterpretation, Misapplication, and Dislocation. It is this false method of interpreting scripture that has led to so many different denominations of christianity. But I do believe that most, not all, christian denominations do teach believing in Jesus as the way to eternal life. So, it's not what's written over the door, but what's written on each individuals heart that matters most. If you read the bible and made your decision to reject it, then all I can say is " I hope you will take a second look, for your eternal destiny may rest upon your choice."

There is much said in scripture that can be construed as vulgar, but, there is also much more said that speaks of God's love for mankind. You need to remember that the people in the bible were humans just like you and me and the stories of their lives are no different. It truley goes to show you that sin has been around since the beginning of life. Thus, The Father shows us the severity of a need for a savior in his words to us.

Nahhh, I'm not going to take a look at your god again. BTDT. Your god is a little too hateful for my tastes. If I wanted to create a god he would be a much kinder and more gentle god than the one the xtians came up with.

I've seen your god's hit list and the seemingly endless list of people he has killed or had killed. If I was god shopping I'd pick a different one.

But thank you anyway.

Not only do I recognize it, I detest it. It is very unGodly behavior.

There was an older man I befriended on another board who had turned away from God many years ago when his young son died. He said he would go into the pits of hell shaking his fist at God for what He had done in taking his son away from him.

There was something about this man that I loved instantly. He was a good man who was just angry, but a good man nonetheless. There were two biddies on that same board that were exactly like Patty, and all they ever did was condemn him and bash him over the head with their scriptures and berate him for who he had become. I, on the other hand, showed him love and acceptance and told those biddies how angry they made me because all they did was bolster his reason for not returning to God.

I'm not saying this to pat myself on the back -- only to say that while they were on their self-righteous attack on the front end, all I could hope was that I was reaching him through the back door by just loving him. Those ladies did far more damage than good, and I will always be angry at them for that. And sadly, Patty is no different than those other two Pharisees and the ones the Bible talks against.

There are those who can read the words and follow the law, but when it comes to FEELING the words and LIVING the law, they can't -- or don't. And it is those types that I believe do more damage in the long run. I have known more atheists who were better people than these high-and-mighty, look-down-their-nose types. :)

We have 'em within atheism too. The extremists, those with the superiority complex, etc. You guys have your fundies (extreme nutjob types is what I am referring to) and we have our fundies in atheism as well. They are out non stop to disprove any/every god while bashing every theist around. Your fundie types want your religion spread throughout our gov't and my fundie types want religion outlawed. They are both bizarre groups. ;o) I think we should take them all and put them on an island and let 'em duke it out.

You know, I have the attitude that if someone believes in religion they have a need for that belief within their path. It's serving a purpose so I see no reason to try and change their minds. But, if they start coming at me and trying to cram it down my throat then things change. When the superiority routine starts in I don't take it anymore. I used to but no more.

We have 'em within atheism too. The extremists, those with the superiority complex, etc. You guys have your fundies (extreme nutjob types is what I am referring to) and we have our fundies in atheism as well. They are out non stop to disprove any/every god while bashing every theist around. Your fundie types want your religion spread throughout our gov't and my fundie types want religion outlawed. They are both bizarre groups. ;o) I think we should take them all and put them on an island and let 'em duke it out.

You know, I have the attitude that if someone believes in religion they have a need for that belief within their path. It's serving a purpose so I see no reason to try and change their minds. But, if they start coming at me and trying to cram it down my throat then things change. When the superiority routine starts in I don't take it anymore. I used to but no more.

It seems that even the term "fundie" is subjective as well. I have known people who are atheists or simply non-believers who consider me a fundie as well because I am very staunch in what I believe. I do not, however, cram it down anybody else's throat. To some, simply not swaying in your religious belief is enough to make one a fundie. I say, whatever. :)

It seems that even the term "fundie" is subjective as well. I have known people who are atheists or simply non-believers who consider me a fundie as well because I am very staunch in what I believe. I do not, however, cram it down anybody else's throat. To some, simply not swaying in your religious belief is enough to make one a fundie. I say, whatever. :)

I think various groups have their own lingo and short cuts for expressing a thought. I see a difference in fundamentalism vs. fundies. A fundie is an extreme nutjob, not someone firm in their beliefs. I'm used to using that term on atheism boards. ;o)

I am truly grateful for the lapband which has helped me to keep from over eating, thus sinning. The sin of gluttony is like any addiction. In order to overcome it, one must have super strong determination to be impecably conscious day in and day out of the food they put into their mouth. For once the stomach is stretched, it can never go back to its original size and you will always be able to fit a football in there while all the while only allowing an egg to enter. Thus never achieveing contentment or satisfaction, and always feeling hunger pains. This can be conscrued as "consequence' for our years of overeating. But I believe that God in his mercy gave man the wisdom to invent such a device as the lapband to help those who are in a lose, lose situation with the sin of gluttony. I knew that My sin of gluttony was wrong, and knew that I could not stop overeating on my own, for all of my attempts at wt. loss were futile. I believe that God led me to the information I obtained about lapband.

With that said, how do you propose that God help the prostitute?, for first I feel that they must realize that their lifestyle is sinful and then have a desire to get out of that profession. Then , God can intervene and help them also. If others along the way make it legal to indulge, and make them comfortable or safe while they sin, how will they ever realize it is wrong and then thus desire to get out of it? Tough love is a hard concept for most people. But even parents need to use it when dealing with their children who are doing wrong. Making any sin legal doesn't help anyone. Look at the abortion issue. Millions upon millions of babies lives are snuffed out every year, and the people say it's legal, so it must be ok to do it. Like I said before 'People desire to turn what's wrong into right and what's right into wrong simply because they want to do what they want to do and not even God can tell them differently.