Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should prostitution be legal?

Should prostitution be legal?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should prostitution be legal?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Mans laws are made for them to try to control what is wrong in the country. They bring forth consequences for the laws that they enstate. How do you suppose that man would be able to monitor everyones eating, for everyone eats every day many times a day. Prostitution is not being done by everyone. Yes, Gluttony is a sin to God, but so is lusting in your mind. Do you think that I would want a law enforced that controls what we think? If we put every sin there is into law, we wouldn't be able to move. For God says that even the good things that we do are as filthy rags unto him. That shows us His holiness, and shows us how sinful man really is. We can't even be in his presence. I am not a hipocritical person. I believe that I am the worst of all sinners. I would love it if we were able to control sin and its consequences, but we can't. We can only try to curb sin. God says that when He returns, that is when sin will be forever gone.

Sooo, you compare man's law to god's law and justify that.

No, lusting is not a sin to me as it is to you. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

You, my dear, are a true hypocrite.

Congrats to you.

Your parents were very understanding indeed. Unfortunately my mother is one of those hypocrites that thinks her religion is THE WORD... Period... Growing up she'd even make comments dissing other religions like, "well the Baptists are weird, they don't allow people to dance." :thumbup:

Brad

I find this comment about Baptists and dancing very amusing for I also heard this when I was growing up which was a long, long time ago. Apparently the argument went that dancing - especially, I guess, slow dancing - could lead to f**king. And thus there was this joke: why don't Baptists approve of f**king while standing? Coz it could lead to dancing. lol

I have never met any Baptists so I don't know whether this is true. Perhaps folks on this board could enlighten us.

When I was growing up, I had several friends who were Southern Baptists. Their particular church said women had to wear skirts that fell below the knees (ankle length being ideal) and dancing was banned. I don't know if this applies to all Southern Baptists.

This goes back a ways, but yes... the Baptist church did (and some individual churches still do) have it that dancing was wrong. That did change, at least mellow, about 20 years ago (I remember a few years back with Baylor University had its first official dance on campus... there was an honest outcry to have its Baptist funding cut - it didn't happen, but the call really went out - there are still some in Texas who claim that Baylor went too liberal because of that).

So it is true that it was against Baptist church rules, but it is not so much any more.

I find this comment about Baptists and dancing very amusing for I also heard this when I was growing up which was a long, long time ago. Apparently the argument went that dancing - especially, I guess, slow dancing - could lead to f**king. And thus there was this joke: why don't Baptists approve of f**king while standing? Coz it could lead to dancing. lol

I have never met any Baptists so I don't know whether this is true. Perhaps folks on this board could enlighten us.

Yes, it is true -- especially for Southern Baptists. Don't know if ALL sects of Baptist believe this.

I remember I was considering marrying a man many years ago, and we belonged to a Baptist church. In talking to the pastor, there would be no dancing allowed at my wedding. I was taken aback as I felt it wasn't their right to say. They said Baptists are against dancing. I showed him passage after passage where it said to "Sing and DANCE and rejoice in the Lord." Nope, wouldn't budge.

THAT'S why I don't like religion. Give me God on a mountainside any day. Mankind has completely screwed it all up.

When I was growing up, I had several friends who were Southern Baptists. Their particular church said women had to wear skirts that fell below the knees (ankle length being ideal) and dancing was banned. I don't know if this applies to all Southern Baptists.

Donna, There are some actions that God tells us in the bible that are absolutes, black and white. (like whether he approves of prostitution or murder, etc.) then there are gray areas like dancing or whether a woman can wear pants or not, or whether you should wear a hat in church, etc. . That's why so many denominations have sprung up. Christians split up on issues like these all the time and separate themselves from those who disagree and form new meeting places (denominations). (I guess it's ok, so long as you are not divided on the central and most important issue of christianity which is 'Jesus being Savior'.)I guess on some issues, God wants us to decide whether it is acceptable or not, for what might be a sin for one may bring no conviction to another. Our own conscience will sort those things out. That's the reason for why I believe it's not what's written over the door , but what's written in your heart. One thing that I don't like though is when christians tell you that these 'gray' areas are law, and don't accept that because their own conscience would not allow them to participate in something,(like dancing perhaps)that you may not have that same conviction. A good example of that is that baptist pastor making it a 'law' in their church that woman had to wear skirts that fell below the knee. Jesus teaches us how to deal with this in life in Romans chapter 14. He basically said "what your conscience may allow, others may not, so don't be a stumbling block for them. Don't destroy the work of God for the sake of_______." (fill in the blank...dancing, wearing a hat, eating fish on Fridays, short skirts etc.)If I'm with someone at a wedding and there is dancing there, and they believe it is sinful to dance, for their sake, I will not dance. (Even though for me, I don't feel that dancing is sinful) (unless you are dressed half naked and provacatively simulating the sex act while doing it).:thumbup:

It used to be also in the Pentacostal church, women couldn't wear pants, couldn't wear makup, and couldn't cut their hair. My mother's grandfather was a pentacostal preacher, and that's how she was raised as well. The rules have changed somewhat, but a lot of churches where I live still believe this way.

It used to be also in the Pentacostal church, women couldn't wear pants, couldn't wear makup, and couldn't cut their hair. My mother's grandfather was a pentacostal preacher, and that's how she was raised as well. The rules have changed somewhat, but a lot of churches where I live still believe this way.

I guess that's either a perversion of an attempt to enforce the Bible's teaching against vanity and/or to ensure women don't lure men into the sin of lust. Either way, it's an attempt to take away free will which to me sounds way more sinful.

What is the Pentecostal church? Is that the one where people roll around and talk in tongues?

I, too, belong to a pentecostal church. We don't have any of those rules though. I've been attending there for 22 years. They probably came up with that ruling because of a scripture in 1 peter chapter 3 which states, "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's eyes." Statements like these , to me, don't mean "You can't braid your hair or wear jewelry", but that what you wear or how you look, should not take presidence over your good heart. Do you agree?

No dancing, no trousers, no make-up, sounds like these churches took the fun out of fundamentalism, eh?

What is the Pentecostal church? Is that the one where people roll around and talk in tongues?

Oh my! I'm almost afraid to go there with you.:biggrin: Remember what we said prior about how there are some people in every religion where they are extremists? Well, sometimes those in the pentecostal faith get extreme and in doing so, get out of God's will. While I believe that speaking in tounges is a gift that God gives his children if they ask for it, and it can be used in your private prayer time with God, and also in the church to build up and edify others and to interpret prophecy, I do not agree with its abuse by some who confess christianity and roll around, bark, get slain in the spirit (as they call it) and speak in their tongue language out of an orderly fashion in their services. This kind of stuff does alot of disservice to christianity and is not from God.

Edited by pattygreen

No dancing, no trousers, no make-up, sounds like these churches took the fun out of fundamentalism, eh?

I agree, green. Christianity can be fun! I don't believe God wants us to simply endure this life, but he wants us to live it to its fullest, enjoy it and be happy. P.S. (I wear makeup, pants, and I can Dance! :biggrin:)

I recall watching 20/20 or a show similar to that in which they actually measured the brainwaves of people who were "speaking in tongues" vs. how their normal brain waves function at any other time. Much to my surprise, a different part of the brain lit up when they were "speaking in tongues."

This can be interpreted in many ways but one thing is clear, when people are "moved by the spirit" they seem to ascend to a different level of awareness.