Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should prostitution be legal?

Should prostitution be legal?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should prostitution be legal?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Brad, you are right. I apologize. Will you forgive me? I do feel that most of the time I have stated that these are my beliefs, and if I didn't say 'I believe' it's mostly because I felt that everyone here that I was talking to knows me and knows that that's what I believe. Either way, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disrespect you.

She didn't understand some might find that tone offensive, well bless her heart. (I'm sorry - I couldn't hold that back)

No seriously... You have my forgiveness. The more tolerant we are (within reason) the more understanding we become. I love listening to all points of view and then coming to a conclusion for myself. I just don't like being told what I HAVE to believe. I believe you are a very good and caring person.

My parents were like yours in some ways. I had to go to church unless I was sick and in bed too ill to go. Same with church functions, etc. Catholic. I used to be a recovering Catholic, I have recovered. ;o)

But... my parents were cool with me going to other churches and I did when I was growing up. I'd spend the night with friends and go to their church in the mornings. I'd come home and tell them about it and they were fine. They encouraged any church function regardless of religion but I never came home saying I went Satan worshiping either. ;o)

I am a CCD drop out. I just flat out refused to go. I hated it with a passion, thought it was stupid (and it was), and refused to go. I was not one (growing up) to dig my heels in the ground and refuse something my parents told me to do. So when I was THAT dead set on no CCD they respected my feelings. They weren't happy with it but they understood it was totally against my personality to flat out refuse to do something they told me so they must have realized I had good reason and I did. I did have to find something productive to do on Wednesday nights and I did that too, I joined Jr. Achievement.

In some ways my parents were somewhat unrealistic about religion but in other ways they were very cool about it. It just depended on the circumstances.

Your parents were very understanding indeed. Unfortunately my mother is one of those hypocrites that thinks her religion is THE WORD... Period... Growing up she'd even make comments dissing other religions like, "well the Baptists are weird, they don't allow people to dance." :huh2:

Brad

Some 30 years ago my evangalist BIL had a favorite and popular topic for his sermons. It was his promise that we were close to the second coming of Christ. He had lots of education, books, pamphlets, Biblical readings and such to back up his theories. He was certain at that time that it wouldn't be 10 more years before heathens would be left behind to suffer while Christians would rise up to the heavens. He loved the quote (threat) about wives and husbands being separated because one was a baptised born again Christian and one was not.

This Christian nation was raised on fear. It is one of the single most important reasons that preachers and religious zealots make my stomach turn in spite of the Lap Band. They take their fear mongering and threat of hell to the bank every Monday morning. People are lambs, like it says in the Bible.

I find it very interesting that the question about legalizing prostitution has turned into such a hot discussion about religion. Once again, it's most people on one side and Ron, er Pattygreen, on the other. I wonder if this thread will go on for as many pages as the earlier one of a similar nature. Calmer heads have definitely been involved this time and I believe it has been a more effective discussion.

Thanks Brad!

"The baptist don't allow people to dance"???!!! I don't think I've heard that one before!!!

On a serious note, my mother used to make my sister and me go to church when we were little. I absolutely hated being made to go. Not being a morning person, I especially hated getting up early on Sunday when I had to get up early for school all week. It wasn't that I hated church, I just hated being made to go and listen to stuff that I didn't understand. While my mother made us go, she did not, neither did my stepfather who was a mean alcoholic. So even though I was being made to go to church and being told to live right and live for the Lord at church, everything at home was quite the opposite of what the preacher was saying. So it was very hard to know what was right and what was wrong. My Mom eventually stopped making us go and it wasn't until I was in my early 20s that I started reading the Bible and understanding it. I didn't really believe what the Baptists were preaching, and everytime I went to a Baptist church, it just felt dead to me. So (I'm dodging bullets here, lol) I joined a church of God church and I do still follow most of their beliefs, but I no longer go to church because it just became a place full of drama and people putting on a show (Anyone who's been to a church of God service knows what I am talking about). I'm not saying all churches are like this, but I haven't found one that I feel comfortable at. The point is, everyone has to come to their own understanding of the Bible and what they believe (or don't believe) and no one can make them believe one certain way by preaching to them and pounding them over the head with a Bible.

Carrie I do think that people can be pounded over the head with a Bible and be convinced to adopt certain beliefs. That's the foundation of most organized religions. That's how they continue over the years and how they grow.

The smarter ones will always question what they have been told though. And that is healthy. That is how people go about forming their own beliefs, instead of just adopting the preachers or their parents or a friend's or their spouses. You obviously went through that healthy process.

Didn't you find it interesting when they revealed that even Mother Teresa had doubts?

In every denomination you will find 'people putting on a show' as carrie calls it. There are so many people at so many different levels spiritually. Christianity is a very 'Personal' experience. It is a 'relationship' with God. Some find that relationship at a meeting place called 'church', and others in their own homes. I said this once before, and I believe it's worth repeating. The biggest difference between Christianity and all other 'religions' is this...Religion is Man trying to find God (through good deeds,works,going door to door,penance,etc.) and Chrisrianity is God reaching down to find man.(nothing to do but...accept His free gift of eternal life) That's why I don't believe Christianity is religion. It's a relationship with God. That's all. Parents make mistakes with their kids. We all know that. But now that we are grown and make our own decisions, I find that if we search for truth within our own hearts, diregarding the failings and teachings of others, God will not let us down.

Didn't you find it interesting when they revealed that even Mother Teresa had doubts?

I think the very BEST Christians have doubts and question God or what they have learned. Doubt and questions lead to searching and answers, which is how people grow. Nobody ever grew that didn't seek to research and learn rather than just taking as gospel (no pun intended) the things they are told.

Some denominations consider that evil. I believe that God sees it as something wholesome and vital. It is what causes us to want to reach out and understand.

I also think everyone questions what they believe at one point or another. None of us truely knows what the truth is. That's where our faith comes in.

I think the very BEST Christians have doubts and question God or what they have learned. Doubt and questions lead to searching and answers, which is how people grow. Nobody ever grew that didn't seek to research and learn rather than just taking as gospel (no pun intended) the things they are told.

Some denominations consider that evil. I believe that God sees it as something wholesome and vital. It is what causes us to want to reach out and understand.

You are right there. I can remember when I was first searching for truth about who God is, The Jehovah's witnesses came to my door. I let them in and we talked. When I learned that they did not allow their congregants to read any other material except for their own (the watchtower stuff and their JW bible), That's when I said good-bye to them. Another reason why I left my catholic upbringing was because you couldn't find bibles in the pews. Any denomination that doesn't let you think for yourself should be avoided in my opinion.

In every denomination you will find 'people putting on a show' as carrie calls it. There are so many people at so many different levels spiritually. Christianity is a very 'Personal' experience. It is a 'relationship' with God. Some find that relationship at a meeting place called 'church', and others in their own homes. I said this once before, and I believe it's worth repeating. The biggest difference between Christianity and all other 'religions' is this...Religion is Man trying to find God (through good deeds,works,going door to door,penance,etc.) and Chrisrianity is God reaching down to find man.(nothing to do but...accept His free gift of eternal life) That's why I don't believe Christianity is religion. It's a relationship with God. That's all. Parents make mistakes with their kids. We all know that. But now that we are grown and make our own decisions, I find that if we search for truth within our own hearts, diregarding the failings and teachings of others, God will not let us down.

Again... don't you think it is a bit hypocritical to desire laws preventing the sin YOU don't do (prostitution) yet you think there are too many laws on the books so you don't want laws preventing you from eating enough for any 3 people? Isn't it true that a sin is a sin and all sin is equal? Doesn't this seem convenient and hypocritical to you?

Wouldn't a good xtian take the money from the extra food and send it to someone who has no food? I mean, the cost of a computer, internet access, excess food, etc., could feed many people.

Some walk the walk, others talk the talk... right?

Again... don't you think it is a bit hypocritical to desire laws preventing the sin YOU don't do (prostitution) yet you think there are too many laws on the books so you don't want laws preventing you from eating enough for any 3 people? Isn't it true that a sin is a sin and all sin is equal? Doesn't this seem convenient and hypocritical to you?

Wouldn't a good xtian take the money from the extra food and send it to someone who has no food? I mean, the cost of a computer, internet access, excess food, etc., could feed many people.

Some walk the walk, others talk the talk... right?

Mans laws are made for them to try to control what is wrong in the country. They bring forth consequences for the laws that they enstate. How do you suppose that man would be able to monitor everyones eating, for everyone eats every day many times a day. Prostitution is not being done by everyone. Yes, Gluttony is a sin to God, but so is lusting in your mind. Do you think that I would want a law enforced that controls what we think? If we put every sin there is into law, we wouldn't be able to move. For God says that even the good things that we do are as filthy rags unto him. That shows us His holiness, and shows us how sinful man really is. We can't even be in his presence. I am not a hipocritical person. I believe that I am the worst of all sinners. I would love it if we were able to control sin and its consequences, but we can't. We can only try to curb sin. God says that when He returns, that is when sin will be forever gone.

Wouldn't a good christian take the money from the extra food and send it to someone who has no food, you ask?........ Why do you call us good? For only God is good.

Pattygreen, while I disagree with you on many, many issues and don't particularly like your style, I have to admit I admire your tenacity.

Pattygreen, while I disagree with you on many, many issues and don't particularly like your style, I have to admit I admire your tenacity.

Hahahahaha....yes, exactly.

Donna, I am not ashamed to say that I had to look up the word 'tenacity' in the dictionary. I may sometimes seem like I'm a know it all, but I will readily admit that I have much to learn. I wasn't sure if you were complimenting me or putting me down. (around here, I never know if I'm going to be yelled at, laughed at, or loved) Tenacity: 'Persistent, tending to hold fast, not easily pulled apart'. I will take that as a compliment, even if it's not, for I could use one today. I started a thread to discuss the miracle on the Hudson, and got yelled at over there. It was my first time starting one, and wanted to talk about something 'good' for a change that was on the news, and I got blasted. Oh well, have a great day!:tongue:

PattyGreen, I meant it as a compliment.