Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should prostitution be legal?

Should prostitution be legal?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should prostitution be legal?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

You bringing up the "born again" thing made me remember.....

Many years ago, my oldest DD was in Kindergarten, and I was VERY pregnant again. Soon the natural question come up about how the babies (twins) were going to get out. I told her a limited version, and yet all the while sticking to the truth.

Her eyes got pretty big and she told me if I didn't know we could go to the library and find out!

I assured her that it would work, that when you grow up your body changes and will allow things like that to happen. That satisfied her and the subject was discussed off and on for days.

Then one morning standing in the bathroom doing her hair for school she tells me very seriously "that man that talked at church last time is really stupid!" I was shocked and ask her why she thought that, and she oh so seriously in her 5 year old new found birth wisdom informed me SHE NEVER wanted to be born again!

Poor thing I am thinking of what is running in her mind....the born again Christian speaking at church must have been 6' and 250 pounds, and he was born again? Coming out of where her Mommy assured her the babies would? Not her! No way, no how!!

Thanks for the funny memory!!

Kat

You bringing up the "born again" thing made me remember.....

Thanks for the funny memory!!

Kat

What a great story ;)

Hello soon to be thin. I read your post and I'm sorry you were told that you were going to hell. Just recently I was compared to the christian crusaders who once slewed unbelievers. This was pretty insensitive also, so I know how you must have felt. It is true that Jesus hung with lepers, prostitutes and tax collectors as you say, but only the prostitues were considered sinners. Lepers were to be kept away from because of their infectious disease, and tax collectors were just unliked because they took your money. Yet they weren't considered sinners by God. (in a sense that what they were doing was wrong, for we are all sinners) Also, from reading the bible, I have learned that holy men inspired by God wrote the scriptures as He led them. You are correct when you say that only God can determine what is a sin. He has spoken of many kinds of sins in the bible. He tells us what is acceptable and what is not. That is why I can be so confident in my stand on why prostitution should not be legalized. I believe you are also right when you say only God can judge you for those sins. As far as being judged most by people who claim to be christians, let me just say this.... Some times christians, (myself included) being so certain of God's will concerning a situation or subject (because they have read his word, they know his stand on most issues) might try to show you where you may be in ere on that subject. This may seem as if they are judging you. Judgement is casting a sentence on someone for their wrong doing. ( Like when people told you you were going to Hell.)Some times though, if christians tell others what God has to say on an issue, they get angry or upset because once they know what God has to say about it they may become convicted themselves so they turn it around and say "that christian is judgmental." It may not be their intent at all. so, please go easy on us christians, we truely do love people and I feel that making being a born again christian against the law would not solve anything. (for who would you rant and rave with?)lol Patty

Patty,

Making Born Again Christians illegal was a joke.

Second, the bible you have read was a translation, and a complete rewrite of anything close to the events and the original book. I didn't read it either as it was written in a dead language.

The contents of the bible are argued about all the time. No one religion will agree with the other. Case in point.... BAC's believe in Adam and Eve. Science proved long ago there was no adam and eve.

In your reply, you very quickly pass off the writings of the bible as God's word. That is not correct. Once again, it is a story told by several people, translated multiple times, and rewritten multiple times.

If the people of the world could agree on what God says, we wouldn't have the wars we have now.

Off the soapbox

Plain, you're pretty funny, dude. Is a Fluoride Dope the same as a Fluoride Junkie?

Her's the backstory:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f80/lapband-deceit-bullsh-t-74824/index4.html

You might have to read a couple of pages to get to where Dr.Stan calls me........Fluoride Dope.

If the people of the world could agree on what God says, we wouldn't have the wars we have now.

Maybe I'm a little cynical, but even if there were a global religion, I think there would still be wars. Human nature, and all that.

Also, as a Christian, I understand what Patty was trying to say at the start of the thread. I don't agree with her presentation....I think Steve Goad's insights there were particularly astute.....but I see her point (debateable as it may be).

soon, I know you were joking about wanting BAC's to be illegal.

With that said, I have to say that I disagree with what you had to say, except for the part where 'if people could agree on what God says we wouldn't have the wars we have.' I would like to change that slightly and say ' If people could agree on WHO God is we wouldn't have the wars we have.' The biggest difference of all the religions in the world and Christianity is this: Religion is Man reaching up to find a way to get to God ( good deeds and righteous living, etc.) and Christianity is God reaching down to save man. (there is nothing for man to do (good deeds, righteous living, etc.)in order to get to heaven except put their faith in Jesus to get you there.All religions in the world today except christianity rely on man's good deeds for entry into eternal life. (how futile, since we know that NO man can be good.) Hence, why God provided a savior. God Bless you. Patty

pattygreen, I do agree with your last post. No one can be good enough to get to heaven. I have this debate with my husband all the time. He thinks you need to go to church and live a certain way to get to heaven. I disagree. Anyway, off my soapbox and back to the topic.

I believe heaven and hell are a state of mind. I know many Christians who live a hellish life right here on Planet Earth and many non-Christians who feel their lives are heavenly. Live with a glad heart and let the afterlife take care of itself.

living with a glad heart and letting the afterlife take care of itself would be a great motto if it were not for the fact that all souls are eternal and we only have this one life time in order to make our decision as to where we want to live it. We don't usually think twice about taking out life insurance to prepare and help others after we're gone, but preparing for our own afterlife is usually put on the back burner. We all should consider our eternal destination during our one and only lifetime, for who knows what tomorrow may bring. I'll bet those 155 people on that jet that landed in the Hudson the other day are thanking God for another opportunity at life. I sure am. Wasn't that amazing?! Not one perished. I was emotional watching it on the news today.

Kat, your story about your 5 year old was soooo cute. It reminded me of when I first became a christian. I was sitting alone in my room and thinking that there had to be more to life than this. (for I was saddened at my life's situations at that time) I looked across the room and saw an old family bible I receieved as a wedding gift and picked it up thinking maybe there is something in there that can give me the answers I need about life. I opened the book for the first time ever to John chapter 3 and read a story about a man named Nicodemus. Jesus was answering his question about what he must do to have eternal life. He said, "You must be born again." Nicodemus answered," how can a man be born twice?" Reading this, I, too, felt like Nicodemus (and your 5 year old). I closed the book and thought "Hogwash." The next day, I was tempted to read more and did. I became very interested in what the bible had to say. I soon understood that Jesus meant we neeeded to be born once of the flesh (the birth at infancy) and then, again spiritually. Thus why we are called born againers. ( I also find it quite amazing that the first time I ever opened the bible for answers that God led me to that specific chapter, because that is also the chapter with the famous John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believes on Him shall have everlasting life.") I had never heard that before.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the last time I opened the bible is read

"Placed here by the Gideons"

Not as moving as some, but .......

Oh my! That had me laughing! :(

pattygreen, your story is a lot like mine. I never really understood the Bible and what being born again meant until I grew up and started reading it all on my own in my early 20's.

Who are the 'Gideons' anyway??!! LOL

Some times christians, (myself included) being so certain of God's will concerning a situation or subject (because they have read his word, they know his stand on most issues) might try to show you where you may be in ere on that subject. This may seem as if they are judging you. Judgement is casting a sentence on someone for their wrong doing. ( Like when people told you you were going to Hell.)Some times though, if christians tell others what God has to say on an issue, they get angry or upset because once they know what God has to say about it they may become convicted themselves so they turn it around and say "that christian is judgmental." It may not be their intent at all. so, please go easy on us christians, we truely do love people and I feel that making being a born again christian against the law would not solve anything. (for who would you rant and rave with?)lol Patty

Patty, first and foremost, you must be speaking about yourself being convicted as well since you said MY posts to YOU were nasty. In reality, it was simply "one Christian showing another where they have sinned." Yet you don't like it one bit, do you? :(

The fact is, NOBODY PUT YOU IN CHARGE of doing the Holy Spirit's work!!! That is what is so flippin' arrogant about you! YOU think God made you hall monitor or something, when you are no better than those you are attempting to show the "err of their ways." You are an arrogant hypocrite who only knows the words of the Bible but who apparently doesn't know the CONTENT of it.

Get off your freakin' high horse and do something productive. Pointing out the sins and mistakes of others never WAS the job of the Christian. They can spread the good word to those who do not know Christ, and they should do so by how they live (something YOU could stand to learn about) and show them God in a way that draws people TO you and makes them inquire about how you have such peace and love in your heart and life. You do not have these things or you wouldn't repel people the way you do -- other Christians included. You seem to think it's because you have convicted people. You are very wrong. It's because you are a hardened individual who hides behind the cloak of Christ and uses Him as your personal battering ram.

Get yourself right with God before you try to tell others how they are screwing up. You are the worst type of representative for Christianity because all you do is run people off. I have dealt with your type way too often, and it's tiring.