Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question conerning endoscopy

I need someone that has had an endoscopy tell me if there will be problem for the endoscopy procedure to be performed with 6.5cc of saline in my 9cc band. I am going to ask my PCP to perform one because I have been having stomach pains for about 2 weeks. I have had an ulcer before and it feels like it might be another ulcer. I need to know if I need an unfill BEFORE the endoscopy procedure or not.

You should call this question into your band surgeon. I just talked with my surgeon about an endoscopy over the weekend. Make sure a band surgeon does the scope. A regular doctor or technician could look right past signs of erosion without knowing it. Signs of erosion can be as small as a tiny stitch, so unless you're well-experienced with the band, they might look right past it.

If you are getting scoped for different reasons, make sure to call your Band doc anyway. Maybe he could call your scope doc and explain how to check for erosion while he's already got the camera in your belly. Anyone with a band should get an endoscopy from a qualified Band surgeon at least once a year.

I'm not saying you have erosion or anything like that, but they may as well take a peek since you're having the procedure anyway. If they find an ulcer, make sure to take the meds as directed since ulcers can lead to erosion (according to my knowledge.)

I was going to go ahead and have the endoscopy and then give a copy of the pictures to my band surgeon to look at. I could not get an appointment with my band surgeon until July 29th and I did not want to wait that long to have the procedure.

Lisa, have you had an endoscopy? if so did they have to give you an unfill before the endoscopy?

That is a good question.

I was unfilled before mine but I was also going into surgery so that may have made a difference.

About three months ago I was having severe stomach pain. I was popping vicadin it was so bad. I had an upper GI which showed no slippage. Then I had an endoscopy with a 3.2cc fill in a 4cc band. My GI had no trouble passing the scope. He found a 12mil ulcer which he said was rather large. I had to have a complete unfill because my band surgeon was worried about erosion. I was unfilled for seven weeks and then had another endoscopy but this time with the surgeon. He found that the ulcer had completely healed because of the prilosec and carafate suspension I was prescribed.

I had a 1.6cc fill two weeks ago and am having another fill on Wednesday. I had great restriction before the ulcer and was losing 10 lbs a month. I have no restriction now and hope I can get back to where I was. I heard that can be difficult after a complete unfill. I do feel much better now. Actually, I had complete pain relief after the unfill. My band doctor says that ulcers are not uncommon with the band.

I had lost from 343lbs to 213 in 16 months but have gained back 15 lbs in the last 9 weeks. This of course does not make me happy. Hopefully, it will come back off when I get back to a good fill level.

Stephanie

Stephanie,

That is exactly what I needed to know thansks for sharing your experience with me. Sorry to hear about your weight gain BUT at least you still have your band. That is what I fear most having an ulcer which will lead to an erosion. I just got my band and I want to keep it. Was your ulcer located on your stoma or somewhere else in your stomach? And how long were you on the ulcer meds?

I had lost from 343lbs to 213 in 16 months but have gained back 15 lbs in the last 9 weeks. This of course does not make me happy. Hopefully, it will come back off when I get back to a good fill level.Stephanie

Wow, that is a great weight loss!

I will be on the prilosec for the rest of my life. I have stopped taking the carafate. The ulcer was at the junction where my stomach meets the intestines. My band was not pressing on it but my surgeon was afraid the acid could erode my band thus the unfill.

Stephanie