Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Full pouch or streching pouch

Hi, I was banded 9-23 and had a 3 cc fill on 10-3...I was able to eat anything I wanted I had no restriction. I could eat steak, roast pork, salad, bread, broccoli and on and on. I had another 3 cc fill on 10-20..omg now I think I know what restriction is. I am having an issue with understanding the word full. I chew, chew, chew and chew some more so I am still able to eat meat. My question....When I eat 3-4 ounces of something over 35 minutes I get this uncomfortable full feeling in my pouch area. It feels like the food is backed up into my esophagus...and causes discomfort. Does that mean I ate to much or is that the feeling of full, or am I streching my pouch. One time I had that feeling, then a 1/2 hour later that feeling went away so I ate two spoon fulls of clam chowder..omg I was in the bathroom salvating and I finally bent over at the waist and the food just slid out of my stomach..I did not vomit because my stomach did not retch..the food just slid right out, that episode lasted for 45 minutes. HELLLLLPPPPPPPP

Thank you to everyone who will guide me on this part of the journey...prior to this I thought lap band was a piece of cake..lol..

vickie

According to my experience, that was a "stuck" episode and most folks call the food sliding out a "PB" or "productive burp". That full feeling you are describing is food getting stuck trying to get into the pouch. This happens to me a good bit, because I don't chew well enough or take too big of a bite and I know I still eat too fast. Sometimes, even though I know I have chewed that bite of food to smithereens, it still happens. Never, ever, continue to eat past this feeling. You must immediately get rid of the "stuck", either up or down. I usually get it up and out but some people have told me that room temperature pineapple juice will help to dissolve the clump and help it go down. Once that is gone, you may continue to eat if you need to. Just my experience.

I think people's reaction to the band/restrictions are as varied as the individuals. Having said that, I have never felt full since I was banded (not in the way I felt full prior to banding). The feeling I get is a sense of discomfort in my chest area which naturally kills my appetite and makes me stop eating. That doesn't mean I'm full, it just means I will not derive any pleasure from continued eating.

For me, the band has changed my relationship with food. I have been banded for 3 months and have never PB'd (the episode you describe is PBing) or vomitted. I have been stuck a couple of times for brief periods of time when I forgot to chew, chew, chew.

I think it's an evolving process and each fill can make your body react differently so you have to always be on guard and don't try new foods in public.