Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How am I doing?

Hi All! I haven't posted in a veryy long time, but I was banded 12/10/07. I wanted to see what you all think about my weight loss. It's been very slow process for me, or at least I feel that way. I've lost 37 pds so far, I went through a period where I wasn't losing at all, but the past few months I've been losing steadily - 5 more pounds this month! My band-versary is coming up, and I'm hoping to lose 10 more pounds by then.

Am I losing too slowly? I had one or two not so great months where I made some bad choices, but I'm officially back on track. After reading some other posts, it seems like this happens to a few of us. We lose rapidly in the begining and then hit a plateau, get down on yourself, cheat a little, and then find yourself again. Anyways, I know weight loss with the lap band is a pretty slow process. I'm curious to hear your thoughts. :wink_smile:

-Michelle

Michelle . . .you're doing great! It's different for everyone - and I went through almost 3 months of getting no where it seemed . . . so I just would have to start the next day all over and do my best. No matter what the loss . . . it is still a loss from where you were last year! My scale would have been up without this band - so I'm happy no matter what! Hang in there and keep up the great work!

Chris

Thanks for the positive support! I know without this, I'd at least be 10 pds heavier then l was before surgery. And if it continues at this rate, hopefully I'll be another 40-50 pds down next year!

Michelle, everyone's loss is different. There is so much variability. So many different things to think about.

I really would try not to compare your loss with anyone else's because it gets really hard if you don't lose as much as someone else. Or then if you lose more than someone else you get a little complacent. It's crazy the head games we all play.

40 pounds in less than a year is awesome! I tried carrying around a 5 gallon bottle of Water yesterday, which is about that heavy, and it almost killed me carrying it to the truck. And just think how much healthier you are. Awesome.

As far as how you are doing, I would look at the skills you have learned this last year. Have you gotten great at getting in all your fluids? 60+ oz per day gets you hydrated enough to burn calories. It is so key and seems so unmeaningful. Have you gotten great at counting your calories without a counter? I'm pretty good at judging my calories without using my book. With that skill I can stay pretty close to 1000 cals without a lot of effort. But it took me a few months of plugging in EVERY food to the daily plate. Until I could judge my cals I was up and down too much to stay consistant. Or maybe you have done a great job of getting in exercise 4-6 times a week. That's my downfall. Honestly it's the first think I don't do....and that is always a slippery slope. The other thing I do EVERY DAY is weigh in. That way I can keep close track of any weight gain. I have a number that if I get over that any morning I work extra hard that day to follow all the rules. Usually it's just a matter of daily fluctuation but I never let it get above that set number.

So look at those things and see which you have made an awesome part of your life. If this is going to work, you have to make it a natural part of every day. That way we won't get off track so easy. Celebrate the greatness you have done. Then look at one more thing you can put into your daily routine. Make it natural and then see what else you can do.

You are doing great though. This is a forever thing, not a month or two thing. We will always have times when there are bad days or weeks. It is just as important to have ways to cope with those as it is to lose steadily. Keep plugging away and celebrating your losses.

Way to go!!!!

I am in the same boat as you Michelle. I have only lost 42 lbs. I have my good month then I fall of the wagon...one of these days I will get out of this continous cycle:(

Quiltergirl,

Is there anything that we can do to help you through those bad months? I know that when I post on these boards I do better. I have a group of ladies who are really pulling for me here and I don't want to let them down. I guess that works for me. I know it won't work for everyone.

We are here to help though. If there is something you need to make yourself more successful, jump up and shout it from the rooftops. Keep asking until someone hears you and comes to your aid. Sometimes it is so hard to tell people we are struggling. We think that since we have the band that we shouldn't need any more help. But we didn't get fat JUST because of food and we won't get skinny JUST because of the band.

Tell us what you need. If we can't do it for you, maybe we can give you guidance as to where you can get the help. We really do want to see you succeed.

Thank you sooo much Stephanie...

I do need support and you absolutly right, I am having problems asking for help.

Lately, I just feel like this is just another attempt and I failed to lose weight. I have another 80 lbs to go and I can't seem to get below the terrible 220 on the scale. I start to do really well then I sabatoge myself with making bad choices.

I am not sure where to go from here. My nuturionist recommends reading weight loss books - so I guess that is what I need to do:(

Thank you for listening:)

Thank you sooo much Stephanie...

I do need support and you absolutly right, I am having problems asking for help.

Lately, I just feel like this is just another attempt and I failed to lose weight. I have another 80 lbs to go and I can't seem to get below the terrible 220 on the scale. I start to do really well then I sabatoge myself with making bad choices.

I am not sure where to go from here. My nuturionist recommends reading weight loss books - so I guess that is what I need to do:(

Thank you for listening:)

There is a book that I bought called "success habits of weight loss surgery patients" or something like that. It's a book full of stories about how people just like us did it and how they made it. There is a workbook that goes with it too, but I got it half way through my journey and didn't feel like I needed to go through that. I'm saving it for when my dh decides he's ready to take the journey too. And it talks about lapband people too. So many surgery books focus only on bypass. The stories can be very inspirational.

Have you found a support group? Either online or in person? Even if that support group is just one person. It can mean a ton. Talking through the tough times is so important. And so much of this is in our heads and not our stomachs. We all need someone to turn to when we want to grab those Cookies. It's not in our tastebuds usually...it's deeper inside. If you feel like talking, you can always pm me and I will do what I can. Or try the mentor thread.

Remember, this is one step, one battle at a time. I can't even say one day at a time because I know that I fight 3 or 4 of those battles with my head every day. I still have to fight through them. I know it WILL get easier, but I just don't know WHEN. You can do this too. Keep posting and keep letting us know when we can help.