Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new girl on the block

I have not been banded yet. Have to wait several months before my insurance allows me to have the procedure. I am 56 and a lot of the pictures I have seen on this site, everyone looks so young. Are there any folks my age that I could talk to, or a group that might be 50 and above?

I admire each and everyone of you who have had the courage to have been banded. I have been overweight all of my life and I have finally figured out it is not going to happen without some outside help.

Looking forward to my journey.

Sorry, I am not your age I am older. I am 63, and you CAN talk to me. Had my surgery 7/01/08. So far lost 44 lbs. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Hope to hear from you again.

jazie

Edited by jazie

Welcome Anniegirl,

I am also 56. Theres lots of fun folks here to talk to. Just jump into any conversation you find interesting. I think there is a thread for 50's here. Try looking on the home page, there should be a list of all threads and topics there. Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Hi anniegirl. I am close to your age... I'm 53. I've met people on here who are younger than I am, older than I am, and some about the same age as I am. Our ages are different, but we have two very important things in common.... our struggles with our weight, and the lapband. If you look on the Lapband Talk Home page, over to the left, there are groups listed, and one is "Age Specific Lap-Band Support Groups". I haven't visited any of those yet, but thought this might help you. Others who are more familiar with a group might be able to help you too. You will love this site - so many of my questions were answered here and so many of my concerns addressed. By the time I had my surgery, I was very well informed, knew what was going to happen before and after, and KNEW that I had made the right decision. Feel free to ask ANY question you have - there are lots of nice people who will help you out. Also a great place to come and vent if that's what you need to do. It is very nice to chat with people who know exactly what I've been through, what I'm going through, and how I'm feeling. I've made many good friends here. Good luck to you. Let me know if I can help you out in any way. Becky

I just had my 56th birthday this month (Oct 4) and was banded this month (Oct 20). So I think you have lots of company! Somehow it seems to me that when it comes to weight loss, we all speak the same language and understand each other without regard to one's age. We have all felt similar things and gone through similar experiences with the band, it seems. Perhaps those who post pictures are younger. :biggrin: I don't plan on posting anything until I have an "after" picture of some kind, then maybe.... But anyway, if age makes a difference in recovery time, or other issues, I haven't really seen it yet. So just jump in and feel welcome. We're all here in the same boat. Or would that be on the same band? :wink_smile:

Sorry, I am not your age I am older. I am 63, and you CAN talk to me. Had my surgery 7/01/08. So far lost 44 lbs. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Hope to hear from you again.

jazie

Thank you so much Jazie. Actually I am glad that you are older. It shows me that it is not too late. I have been a healthy fat person, if there is such a thing, but recently have been having some problems with my kidney that I haven't even gone to the doctor about. I just keep thinking wonder if it is something terrible and it is too late......truly I think subconsciously I deserve anything I get medically because I have been so bad to my body for so many years. It is funny, I remember when I was 19 and putting up the Christmas ornaments at home. I wrote my weight down on a piece of paper and secretly tucked it inside of an ornament, thinking the next year I would get it out of the box and laugh because I was quite sure I would be so much thinner..........right......the story of my life.

Gosh, Jazie, sorry to go on and on. I guess I just needed to purge.

Thanks for listening, and congrats on your weight loss. Keep being my role model!!!:wink_smile:

Hi Anniegirl,

It's never too late to start a new life. Just go for it, work hard at your weight loss and look forward to an exciting future.

Good luck on your journey.

Why did you have the second operation Steve?

At my first fill, it was discovered that the tube between port and band had become detached. I had a second operation to replace the tube and port (which was resited). One night stay in hospital, very straightforward.