Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To band or not to band?

Hello Everyone! I would like some opinions from "banded" patients who chose the band over bypass. I have a 6 month waiting period per my insurance and so I have some time to decide. But I'm confused and can't seem to make a solid decision. My BMI is 42, I love carbs and sweets. Bypass seems so drastic and I don't think I'd like NEVER being able to eat certain foods again. Plus I can't fathom vomitting all the time just because you ate the tiniest "wrong thing".

So right now, I am leaning more towards the band. But how often does the band have to get tightened/restricted? How long does it take to find the right restriction? Why doesn't restriction work sometimes?

If there is anyone out there that wished they would have had the bypass - PLEASE let me know!! Also, if there is anyone out there that has the band and is so glad they didn't do the bypass - PLEASE let me know!

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated!! :smile:

I chose the Band ove Bypass for a few reasons:

The band is reversable. The recovery time is quick and not too painful. My stomach isn't cut at all. The weightloss is slower with the band, but it is maintained easier. With the bypass I think it's easier to cheat. You can eat and eat and eat and stretch your stomach back out. With the bypass you also don't absorb all the nutrients that you should so you have to take supplements. I am so happy that I chose the band and I wouldn't have it an other way. I wouldn't change my choice for anything in the world. Good luck and I hope you find the surgery/option that is right for you.

Hello Everyone! I would like some opinions from "banded" patients who chose the band over bypass. I have a 6 month waiting period per my insurance and so I have some time to decide. But I'm confused and can't seem to make a solid decision. My BMI is 42, I love carbs and sweets. Bypass seems so drastic and I don't think I'd like NEVER being able to eat certain foods again. Plus I can't fathom vomitting all the time just because you ate the tiniest "wrong thing".

So right now, I am leaning more towards the band. But how often does the band have to get tightened/restricted? How long does it take to find the right restriction? Why doesn't restriction work sometimes?

If there is anyone out there that wished they would have had the bypass - PLEASE let me know!! Also, if there is anyone out there that has the band and is so glad they didn't do the bypass - PLEASE let me know!

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated!! :smile:

My name is Don,

I'm being banded on Oct. 28th. I to wondered witch one to go with, but I did not like to have my "innereds" altered. It's been about one year sense I seen the add in TV. I'm 66 yrs old and a BMI of about 44. It's true you can have the band removed in the future but you can not think that way. It should be concederd purmenet and only considered to be removed in case of and emergency. As far as I have heared, that is very rare. My Dr. well not do the op if you have it in mind that you can have it removed.

Haven the band filled is totally depended on the patient & Doc. Just do a lot of reading and searching and you well get a VERY good idea what well happen.

I have been on the PRE-op diet and already have lost 10 lbs. Still have 5 days to go until the 28th.

There are TWO different Brand names of Bands. LapBand & Reality Bands. My Doc does both of them, but desided on giving me the Reality. See" www.lapband.com and www.reality.com .

I post mostly on the 60+ thread. Lots of info shows up there. Anyone is welcome.

Enough for now,

Don

Thanks so much for your input. I don't like the fact that with the Bypass your stomach gets cut either! I also don't mind a slower weight loss. You've helped me a lot with your input. Thanks again!

My name is Don,

I'm being banded on Oct. 28th. I to wondered witch one to go with, but I did not like to have my "innereds" altered. It's been about one year sense I seen the add in TV. I'm 66 yrs old and a BMI of about 44. It's true you can have the band removed in the future but you can not think that way. It should be concederd purmenet and only considered to be removed in case of and emergency. As far as I have heared, that is very rare. My Dr. well not do the op if you have it in mind that you can have it removed.

Haven the band filled is totally depended on the patient & Doc. Just do a lot of reading and searching and you well get a VERY good idea what well happen.

I have been on the PRE-op diet and already have lost 10 lbs. Still have 5 days to go until the 28th.

There are TWO different Brand names of Bands. LapBand & Reality Bands. My Doc does both of them, but desided on giving me the Reality. See" www.lapband.com and www.reality.com .

I post mostly on the 60+ thread. Lots of info shows up there. Anyone is welcome.

Enough for now,

Don

Thanks Don for your input! I am leaning more (about 80%) towards the band. Less recovery time, less invasive, less pain. Thanks for taking the time to write and BEST OF LUCK with your band!! Let me know how you're doing!!

Hi Travelbug,

I was banded July 2, 2008 and I'm so happy with my band. I never even considered bypass because I've heard many negative things about it and it's so invasive. As far as restriction and when a person hits that right spot, I don't think any two people are alike with that. Some need many fills to get to their "sweet spot" (the band is filled just the right amount to allow you to eat less, feel full faster, and still get the right amount of nutrition). And some people have lost almost all of their weight with 1 fill or none. I consider myself lucky because I've had restriction right from the beginning. That happens to some people....don't know why. I've only had 1 fill of .5cc and it really wasn't necessary. The nurse said it was up to me because I've been losing weight steadily and I decided to get one to see how it felt. I know you wrote that you love carbs and sweets but you'll see that that desire for them will lessen with time because you'll be eating more Protein and veggies. In general, the less carbs you eat, the less you desire them. So, to answer your question about anyone being happy with their band, YES, YES, YES, I'm so happy with it....it's the best gift I have given to myself! Good luck with your decision!

Lisa :smile:

I love my band. I have the Realize band and think it is the perfect fit for me! I did not want the more invasive surgery and I wanted to lose weight slower, I think, for me anyway, it is healthier. I had an easy surgery and very quick recovery. I have currently had two fills and I am feeling pretty good restriction with this second one.

Since I started the process and had the surgery I feel much healthier and am finding that I have more energy and enjoy exercising! I hope you find the option that is best for you! Good Luck!

GB seems to drastic to me. I don't want to spend the rest my life worrying about malabsorption or dumping.

GB seems to drastic to me. I don't want to spend the rest my life worrying about malabsorption or dumping.

I wanted the Band because it was reversible if something happened to require removal and there was no cutting and re-routing of my insides. I also like the fact that all of the nutrients I eat are absorbed and there is no dumping syndrome.

However, RNY provides faster weight loss. And depending on the studies you look at, you may have a statistically better chance of losing MORE with the RNY. That is why my aftercare doc really recommends RNY.

I am happy with my band. If I was given the chance to do it all over again, I'd still choose the Band. BUT, I can see the lure of RNY. I can see why it is a better choice for certain people. Do your research. Talk to BOTH sides. If you go to a Lap-Band board, you'll find people are extremely PRO-band. Go to a RNY board, they'll be for RNY. Listen to it all. Then, ignore the noise, and use your logic and lifestyle to determine the best choice for YOU.

I just posted this on a new thread that started not to long ago:

Re: First patients to have Realize...let's hear from you!

I just had my realize Band surgery on 10-28-08, went home the next day. So far I have lost 19 lbs. I'm still in the Full luquid stage. (Ninaflowerlady - (Nina) is my wife and is being very supportive. I have not had any problems yet.

I have not recieved my Patient ID No. yet, should recieve it soon, so am not able axcesed the whole website yet.

www.realizeband.com website.

So far so good,

PS: My 1st. Post-op meeting withe Doc went very good. He took off the little bandages that was on top of what looked like nylon reinforced tape. I'm asumming that's what held the incizes together. I'l be taking them of soon. a couple fell off already. The Doc was very happy with my progress.

Don

Edited by skinnydippn42
added website

Wtg!!!!!!!!!!!!!