Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cost of getting LB put in?

Hi, guys. I'm sure there's a question about this somewhere in the forum, but my connection is being slow and I can't find it.

How much does the LB surgery cost? Unfortunately, I'm going to be paying for it all myself because I don't have private health cover. Is any of it covered under Medicare under any circumstances?

Hi, guys. I'm sure there's a question about this somewhere in the forum, but my connection is being slow and I can't find it.How much does the LB surgery cost? Unfortunately, I'm going to be paying for it all myself because I don't have private health cover. Is any of it covered under Medicare under any circumstances?

I paid for my surgery outright in Sydney and I shopped around for the cheapest surgeon I could find. The total cost for me was $13,000.

It worked out for me like this:

Hospital - About $7200 (No Rebate from Medicare)

Anethetist - $800.00 (I got $297.00 back from Medicare)

Surgeon - $5200 (I got $1000 back from Medicare)

Obviously if your surgery is prolonged or they find a hernia or something like that in surgery extra costs will apply from the hospital & your surgeon.

Hospital costs are different for every hospital, so you could pay more or less than what is above.

That is also not a set Anethetist amount they can vary and obviously how much your surgeon charges can be different also.

You have to pay all amounts up front before surgery & they will give you receipts to take to Medicare.

Make sure you take out atleast a Basic Hospital Cover (you will still need to wait the full 12 month goverment waiting period) before you could claim.

But take out private insurance because if something does go wrong, after 12 months you will be covered for all hospital costs.

$13,000 is good. Most prices I've seen quoted are around the $16,000 mark.

Yeah definitely, if I didn't shop around I could of paid up to $17,000.

Even though my doctor didn't charge as much for the procedure, he is highly qualified with over 30 years experience so the lesser amount didn't bother me for that reason. It was a very easy going experience and my doctor was fantastic, he also owns 3 or 4 weight loss clinics in Sydney.

I was fully self-pay in December 07, in Perth. All up, I outlayed around $12,700 but got about $1,500 back from Medicare, so nett cost was $11,200. I have to agree with Ange05 and urge you to take out private cover as well, as the cost of any follow up surgery for complications can be almost the same again.

If I'd been a more patient person, I would have waited out the 12 month qualifying period and been covered under insurance, but once I made my mind up, I couldn't stand the thought of waiting. I did take out cover though, and it came in handy this year, as I had a minor complication (kink in the tubing) that needed correcting and the insurance covered that, no questions asked.

If you are looking for a cheap insurance alternative that covers the band, you might want to look at Australian Health Management online. I took their basic, cheapest cover for singles at @ $600 per year and this covered all the hospital and other expenses. Well worth it!

Thanks, everyone. Is there an insurance policy that has a shorter waiting period? I'm feeling like Fanny_Adams was, in that I really don't want to wait a year. I've been feeling absolutely worthless for a while now, and I'm not sure how much more of it I can take.

Yes defintely take out Private Heath Insurance, things can go wrong (knock on wood) and it can cost you thousands to go back in hospital again.

I took out private insurance with MBF for their Hospital Only cover.

I only pay $20.00 a fortnight and thats a little amount to pay for peace of mind.

Unfortunately there is no shorter waiting period.

The government has in place a 12 month waiting period that applys to all Insurance company's for elective surgery and a whole lot of other procedures.

I even asked the insurance company that if I paid all my yearly premiums up front, could I get around the waiting period and the answer was no.

Like Fanny Adams, I didn't want to wait so I decided to pay it outright.

also remember if your over the age of 30yrs and havent had private ins before then you also pay a 2% loading on top of the fee mine is 42% loading which makes my health insurance costly.....but i still keep it up and it pays to stay in it incase of any band problems that may occur down the track

Wow, Cuddles, I just noticed your ticker!!! What an awesome achievement! That's close to the number I hope to achieve when I'm done, so it is inspiring to know others have made it. How long has it taken you to get there?

*eyes bug out* You did that in only 13 months?? Far out, brussel sprout!! Man, I'm lagging behind the game... it's been almost 11 months for me and I've only managed half of what you have done. Still, I'm happy with my overall progress and I'm confident that I'll get there in the end...just might take me a while.

Well done!!

well thank you hehehehe

but remember my golden rule...dont compare yourself to anyone else's weight loss

yours is amazing too fanny and emma yours will be too

we all lose at our own rate and its different for all of us

we are ALL doing well :wink_smile:

**hugs**

Leeanne

ok ladies, you might need to sit down for this. one of perths most respected surgeons does not charge a gap for LB or the Gastric Sleeve(GSV).

he considers it a life saving operation, and is so encouraging, and all his past patients rave about him and his team.

i have top cover, so my hospital GSV stay will be covered fully. my anaesthetist also is fully covered by SGIO Health. i was placed on a care plan by my GP, so the dietician,sports physio and physio also cost me nothing.

i am not sure what his wait list for public patients is.

all up, my surgery will cost me under $200, as i receive 3/4 of each consultation back from medicare. in fact, it was the airfares up and back to perth that cost me most.

also, if you live in bunbury wa, the waiting list for public patients is under 3 months. almost worth moving to WA isn't it?!

oh, his name is Mr Hairul Ahmad

Edited by kalgirlkal