Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LBT changes lives - non weight-related LBT story!

I have an awesome story to share that has an LBT connection.

As many of you know, I have been very vocal on the abortion thread. Back in March of this year we were debating about whether women understand fetal development and whether ultrasounds change mothers’ minds about abortion. One of the LBTers began PM'ing me about the issue and we developed a friendship off-LBT. Fast forward a few months, and I received an email from her indicating that fetal facts and ultrasounds do indeed change minds. It turns out the daughter of a co-worker of hers was faced with an unplanned pregnancy (her second; the first one was aborted). She went in for a pregnancy test and the nurse, mistaking her arrival with her boyfriend for a desire to be pregnant, gave her fetal information (what stage the baby was in, the beating heart, the development process, etc.) and showed her the ultrasound. She immediately realized what she was carrying and decided not to abort (and, sadly, regretted her first abortion). However, she didn’t want to keep the baby. So my LBT friend connected her with a couple who was looking to adopt.

When she emailed me to tell me the story, I responded and told her that if anything like that ever happens again (not that it’s common, but it could happen), I have a dear friend who has been trying, unsuccessfully, to get pregnant for years (including failed IVF, a miscarriage, and currently a foray into the foster care system, which takes about 2 years); she’s turning 40 in November and has been very discouraged about ever being able to have a baby. Last week, my LBT friend emailed me that the adoptive parents had dropped out and they were looking for new adoptive parents, and was my friend still interested? Literally by the end of the day, my friend and the biological mother had connected (verbally and emotionally) and my friend is adopting the baby! Jack is due December 31st.

So I wanted to share – out of a controversial thread with many differing opinions came a connection that allowed a baby to be placed for adoption with a loving and deserving couple – lives and families changed that would otherwise never have met had it not been for LBT.

We never know how the connections we make will affect our futures and the futures of others! :grouphug:

What an awesome story!!! I got goosebumps reading it! Without realizing it, you have given someone the gift of life! God had a purpose for you and looks like you fufilled it! God Bless!

That is an absolutely beautiful story - what a true miracle!! I always enjoy reading your posts - we have very, very similar views on most everything. I only wish that I could put my words together as amazingly as you do. Keep up the great job Gadgetlady!!

Robin

Thanks, guys, but I really didn't do anything other than connect two families. God (or "coincidence", if you don't believe in God) used me to simply make one person aware of another. I am so blessed to have been involved, but in terms of actually "doing" something, I didn't really do much. The birth mother and the adoptive parents get all the hard work. So kudos to them!

That is an absolutely beautiful story - what a true miracle!! I always enjoy reading your posts - we have very, very similar views on most everything. I only wish that I could put my words together as amazingly as you do. Keep up the great job Gadgetlady!!

Robin

Ditto!! You have a gift GadgetLady. I totally agree with you and have enjoyed reading the debates. You are able to get your point across with out turning things personal and producing the facts to back up your opinions. I wish you friend well. How awesome that a life was spared! You truly practice what you preach.

I wish you friend well. How awesome that a life was spared!

Thank you. She is going to be an awesome mother. She was adopted herself so she's really well equipped to handle the situation. She is feeling so humbled and undeserving about all of this, though, so if you are a praying person I'm sure she would appreciate it if you keep everyone involved in prayer over the next two months. Her name is Tiffany.

Thanks, green. It is nice when people can take a clearly less-than-perfect situation and turn it around into a blessing. The birth mother is really treating this as a new start for her life, a positive way to get her life turned around by doing the right thing now and in the future as well.

Hi,

Gadgetlady wanted me to update this story so, as the "LBT friend" who is mentioned in this story, I will!

The adoptive parents met the birth mother and her family this past weekend and it was like they had known each other for years. My co-worker (the mother of the pregnant girl) left me a message that was so heartwarming and joyful about this visit I had to call Gadget and share it. It brought tears to our eyes. There is no doubt in the minds of all involved in this situation that this was planned from the very beginning...there have been so many dramatic twists that (in retrospect) could only be explained as God's way of producing this result. This baby for this couple. It has renewed my faith that God is active and always working on our behalf and anxious to take any situation--no matter how bleak--and use it to produce good. And that each and every new life is planned for in His eyes. As mentioned before, "Jack" is due Dec. 31 and is now a wanted and much-loved baby!

This is such a beautiful story. If not for the loving decision by our own birthmother to keep her baby alive and make an adoption plan, we wouldn't have become parents after 18 years of marriage! Our beautiful baby is now a beautiful 2 year old with a mind of her own!

Your love for your daughter sounds so beautiful, Michelle, as well as your appreciation for her birth mother. I hope she knows how much you admire what she did when she gave up her precious baby. I am so happy for you and am glad you told your story.

Another update - Tiffany just called me to direct me to the birth mother's MySpace page. It gave me chills: MySpace.com - Aimee - 29 - Female - OJAI, California - www.myspace.com/sobergirl29. She made it a public page because she wants to get the word out about what a wonderful thing adoption is. I am humbled to have played a small part in this.

I just wanted to give everyone an update on this story. Jack was born just before Christmas, 2008. He had a few minor breathing complications (from aspirated meconium) and was in the hospital for about 10 days before he was released to Tiffany and Chris' loving arms. They have had him home now for almost 2 months and he is a growing, thriving little boy, just a bundle of joy. We're having a shower for them at the end of the month (they wanted to wait until they were sure they were going to take him home before planning a shower).

Jack's birth mom, dad, and grandparents on both sides are extremely happy with how things turned out, even though there had been various desires (and pressuring) for abortion, keeping the baby, getting married, etc. on all sides. All family members have expressed that things couldn't have turned out better for everyone involved, especially Jack.

Thank you to all of you who prayed. This has been life-changing for so many people. I hope this picture posts right!

post-205643-13813138147032_thumb.jpg

He is so adorable! Thanks for posting an update!

I'm thrilled that the birth family is so supportive. It helps everyone a lot! Esp Jack!

Give your friends my best wishes, from one adoptive mom to another adoptive family!!