Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kansas checking in here

Hello to everyone. I saw the surgeon today for the first time. I got a referral for a psych and nutritional consult before we can set the date for surgery. I also have to lose some weight to decrease the size of my liver. Does all that sound right to those of you who have been banded. The other thing that bothers me is my husband told me he didn't want me to tell people that I am planning this procedure?! I don't get it. It doesn't matter at all to me if someone knows about it.

Thanks for listening and I imagine I am going to need some support through this preop diet!

Polly

Your post caught my eye for the strangest reason...I grew up in Kansas, lol.

Anyway, yes, usually before the surgery, the dr. likes you do lose some weight initially to shrink your liver, most are on liquids right before the procedure. This is because if they knick the liver, it can cause huge problems, so better that it is shrunk and out of thier way.

Also, your husband may be looking out for your best interest at heart, but being a man (no offense to any men out there), he may not know how to voice his true concern. Many people (uneducated people) think the band is the "easy way" to lose weight. Many on here have chosen (myself included) to keep it personal and only tell those who are close to them. I had a co-worker who was banded about a year before I was, I saw the negativity directed to her choice and the band itself. I didn't want to go through that. That may be his way to protect you from any negativity or maybe he feels that way somewhat, but doesn't want to openly say that.

When people ask me how I lost the weight, I am honest...I changed my whole families eating habits and get up off my butt. We do not have simple carbs or sugar in the house. I'm not lying. And it's not easy.

There are many opinions regarding telling vs not telling. In the end, it is your decision.

Hi Polly - congrats on starting a new journey. I too live in Kansas, so your post caught my attention. I don't agree with your husband. I tell people about my surgery and if they can't accept that, then that is their problem. I know that I had the surgery to help me become healthier. I have found that some people who are against the surgery secretly wish they could do it or really don't want other people to succeed in "whatever". I'm sure, however, that there are some who truly believe that any weight loss surgery is dangerous. Well.....being "morbidly" obese can also be fatal.

I'm proud of myself for taking the plunge and I am not ashamed to share my journey with others who might be interested. To me, doing something to get healthier and less dependent on food or medications is a reason to celebrate! Brenda

Hello Kansas,

I am also a Kansas girl. My surgeon required a high Protein diet before surgery to reduce the size of the liver because the liver has to be retracted during surgery to place the band. There is limited room to do this because of your ribs and they want the liver as small as possible. This was how it was explained to me.

In regards to telling others, it was my personal choice to tell a limited number of people. What is important is what is comfortable for you.

Good luck on your journey!

I just had my eval done today and he gave me the green light and I have an appointment set for Tuesday the 28th. I went to a seminar last night and spoke with my surgeon and he said he will be setting surgies for right after Thanksgiving. So...hopefully all goes well and I will be banded by sometime first part of December. As far as your husband not wanting you to tell anyone it's just some men are weirded out by it. I asked my fiancee if he cared if poeple knew and he said he wasn't embarassed at all and was happy for me. As soon as your husband sees what a difference it will make he will be on your side, tell him you really need him by your side thur this.

I think your husband is on your side, just being protective towards you. Maybe he has heard negative comments regarding the band in general and does not want any negativity directed towards you when people learn that you have been banded.

Just this past weekend hubby saw a commercial for lapband. It stated the risk of fatality. He freaked! I told him every medical procedure has risks and that the risk of death is minor. (I've been banded since March) It was kinda cute that he was so concerned even though I apparently made it through the procedure and have had no complications.